Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

I want to talk about the other robot in Catwoman’s story…I like Executor, I want to see more about the oddball support system that villains get like this. Maybe I’m just interested as someone who works in a law office but the idea of a legal robot for villains is cool.

Also nice to see Ethan from the burnside era referenced. Although I will say, Addison got all the wrong genes from Oswald when compared to Aiden.
    Last edited by sifighter; 08-02-2022 at 09:14 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I don't read it as Zdarsky saying the Batfamily are bad or detrimental at all. As someone who generally prefers the Batfamily to Bruce, I would be pretty turned off if I thought a writer was saying that at all.

The last page, to me, was Bruce doing investigation, because Failsafe seems to be something connected to his past, but he has no memory of it, so he feels someone may have been controlling him, so he wants to get to a part of his mind that is completely free from control to root out the problem in the past. I think it's kinda cool!

Beat me to it! Snyder reset Bruce's body to that of a mid-late 20-year old with Superheavy. But it's not like any writer has really been hampered by previous writers putting Bruce through a meat grinder.
    I just chalk it up to Diana using the Purple Ray on him every now and then.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Incredible Member

This was an amazing issue. Great fight. The Batfamily also came off pretty well. The voices made sense to me and even Bruce lost. Kind of cool to see the Bat version of the Terminator.

But damn, I did not see that ending coming. Anything Morrison is a huge win for me! But what a way to bring back the concept. This is probably the first run I have been stoked on since the New 52. Exactly what I want out the Main Bat title.

We are dealing with a Bruce who lost Alfred and Selina so I can behind him being a little bummed out. Makes him feel more human. This is how he copes. Hence why Tim called him out for being mad about something unrelated.

I also like that Failsafe is not a real character or villain but a force of nature created by Bruce when he was young. Makes the story about Bruce vs Bruce rather than a traditional villain. Excited to see what Zdarskys long term story and contributions to the book will be.
    Last edited by Iclifton; 08-02-2022 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    This was an amazing issue. Great fight. The Batfamily also came off pretty well. The voices made sense to me and even Bruce lost. Kind of cool to see the Bat version of the Terminator.

But damn, I did not see that ending coming. Anything Morrison is a huge win for me! But what a way to bring back the concept. This is probably the first run I have been stoked on since the New 52. Exactly what I want out the Main Bat title.

We are dealing with a Bruce who lost Alfred and Selina so I can behind him being a little bummed out. Makes him feel more human. This is how he copes. Hence why Tim called him out for being mad about something unrelated.

I also like that Failsafe is not a real character or villain but a force of nature created by Bruce when he was young. Makes the story about Bruce vs Bruce rather than a traditional villain. Excited to see what Zdarskys long term story and contributions to the book will be.
    I guess it just felt like he was processing that already in the last two runs? But that's just me.

Incredible Member

But he's not really processing, its just had an overall effect on him. It`s not like he is just sitting around crying about it. Tragedy wears on you. Him pushing away the family has also been a little overblow imo. The family is still operating with him and showing up to help. Tim has just been shot in the neck its making him consider can his family ever live this life and get a happy ending. He literally only asked to go into the cave alone for Zurenahh which makes sense.

Also, I guess it may be preference, but I prefer a less soft Bruce. His voice is my pitch perfect Bruce.

Plus Tynions run didn really do any good character work which is Zdarskys true talent. Tom Kings run made them feel like caricatures. Again no real character work. But that's just based on my personal tastes and preferences. It is nice for me to be able to enjoy the main Batbook again.

But he's not really processing, its just had an overall effect on him. It`s not like he is just sitting around crying about it. Tragedy wears on you. Him pushing away the family has also been a little overblow imo. The family is still operating with him and showing up to help. Tim has just been shot in the neck its making him consider can his family ever live this life and get a happy ending. He literally only asked to go into the cave alone for Zurenahh which makes sense.

Also, I guess it may be preference, but I prefer a less soft Bruce. His voice is my pitch perfect Bruce.

Plus Tynions run didn really do any good character work which is Zdarskys true talent. Tom Kings run made them feel like caricatures. Again no real character work. But that's just based on my personal tastes and preferences. It is nice for me to be able to enjoy the main Batbook again.
    I don't think it's so much an issue with Bruce being soft so much as people are really sensitive about dipping into Batjerk.

Ostensibly Tynion was trying to show Bruce moving on and healing.

Incredible Member

I get thats what he trying to do. But I do not think he did it well.

I do not think he is a jerk to refer to them as soldiers. He sees himself as a soldier. He should have a somewhat rough personality. It doesn't mean they aren`t his family.

I get thats what he trying to do. But I do not think he did it well.

I do not think he is a jerk to refer to them as soldiers. He sees himself as a soldier. He should have a somewhat rough personality. It doesn't mean they aren`t his family.
    I know, but a lot of people remember them taking it too far back in the 90's/2000's.

Incredible Member

I really don’t get why Bruce thinks he has to resort to his other personality just to fight a robot. I mean he’s been up against it a lot recently and not resorted to that.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I think he's suspicious about the fact that he seems to have been the one who built this robot, but doesn't remember any of it, so he wants to explore the mystery with a personality that he knows is free from mental manipulation.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

So is Bat-Mite coming back too?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So is Bat-Mite coming back too?
    I hope so, Batman RIP is my dream for a Batman movie

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I don't read it as Zdarsky saying the Batfamily are bad or detrimental at all. As someone who generally prefers the Batfamily to Bruce, I would be pretty turned off if I thought a writer was saying that at all.

The last page, to me, was Bruce doing investigation, because Failsafe seems to be something connected to his past, but he has no memory of it, so he feels someone may have been controlling him, so he wants to get to a part of his mind that is completely free from control to root out the problem in the past. I think it's kinda cool!

Beat me to it! Snyder reset Bruce's body to that of a mid-late 20-year old with Superheavy. But it's not like any writer has really been hampered by previous writers putting Bruce through a meat grinder.
    I was under the impression that he (Bruce) created Failsafe as a...failsafe against a Batman that has broke bad. Was activated once Bats was deemed a murderer, no?

Also it seems to move and fight like him.

As to why the design is bat like - maybe to become a replacement "batman".

Not sure how long this opening arc is meant to be but I just hoe it doesn't drag and Failsafe should be out of commission and melted for scrap at the end. Not a compelling enough antagonist to keep beyond this story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    I was under the impression that he (Bruce) created Failsafe as a...failsafe against a Batman that has broke bad. Was activated once Bats was deemed a murderer, no?

Not sure how long this opening arc is meant to be but I just hoe it doesn't drag and Failsafe should be out of commission and melted for scrap at the end. Not a compelling enough antagonist to keep beyond this story.
    That was my impression as well. Maybe he made the robot while in his Zurr en arrh persona?

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post

I believe that Failsafe is something created by Batman, but Bruce doesn't remember doing it, so he suspects someone has tampered with his mind.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord