Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Well, once the X-Men class graduate, they move on to make way for the new cast of students. Some of the x-characters could fit into other books. It doesn't have to be a superhero team like The Avengers. Too much segregation of not using the X-characters outside the x-verse...
    There's too much factionalization these days. I can't even blame it on us fans being all precious, because it's not like *we* were the ones who pumped out various X vs. A or I or E events pitting the X-Men against the Avengers, Inhumans, Eternals, etc. (or portrayed them as in conflict with other heroes like the Fantastic Four). Back in the 80s, during the Dark Phoenix Saga, there were references to the Avengers (Beast quit them to go help the X-Men at this time), and when Phoenix went 'dark', Spider-Man's senses tingled and Dr. Strange perked up, sensing great power and great tragedy or whatever. The Marvel universe of the time felt like one big connected thing. The X-Men wore unstable molecule costumes *given to Xavier by Reed Richards,* as yet another way in which the universe was all tied together, and Wolverine, Nick Fury, Wonder Man and Beast all attended Ben Grimm's weekly poker games, suggesting that they weren't just allies, but even friends.

Now a days, not so much. Everyone's divided into camp Sparkly Vampire or camp Shirtless Werewolf, because that's how marketing sells product, by making fans of team X hate on team Y and anyone not of your favorite brand has to be treated like the heel of a wrestling story, even if various players transfer between those teams and they are otherwise mostly identical.

There is no more 'up and out' for mutants. The powers-that-be have yoinked back those that had succeeded elsewhere (Beast, Firestar, etc.) and fettered them to the franchise, where there are pre-established 'Omegas' and 'important people' and if they aren't among them, then sucks to be them, they get stuck being backgrounders who are seen drinking in the background and event fodder who die to remind us that villain-of-the-week is even more badass than villain-of-last-week.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Too many characters. Not retiring them to other parts of the MU. The original mission of the X-Men was learn to control your powers, graduate, and move on to Marvel Universe as either a ally or antagonist, like Spider-Man's world.
    Except that it wasn't. The X-men had their graduation in #7 I think, still written by Stan & Jack, and continued there, the school was.just a cover. Apart from Beast, the others only left because the team was too crowded.

Too many characters. Not retiring them to other parts of the MU. The original mission of the X-Men was learn to control your powers, graduate, and move on to Marvel Universe as either a ally or antagonist, like Spider-Man's world.
    That's just false. O5 graduated very very early in the first comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    There's too much factionalization these days. I can't even blame it on us fans being all precious, because it's not like *we* were the ones who pumped out various X vs. A or I or E events pitting the X-Men against the Avengers, Inhumans, Eternals, etc. (or portrayed them as in conflict with other heroes like the Fantastic Four). Back in the 80s, during the Dark Phoenix Saga, there were references to the Avengers (Beast quit them to go help the X-Men at this time), and when Phoenix went 'dark', Spider-Man's senses tingled and Dr. Strange perked up, sensing great power and great tragedy or whatever. The Marvel universe of the time felt like one big connected thing. The X-Men wore unstable molecule costumes *given to Xavier by Reed Richards,* as yet another way in which the universe was all tied together, and Wolverine, Nick Fury, Wonder Man and Beast all attended Ben Grimm's weekly poker games, suggesting that they weren't just allies, but even friends.

Now a days, not so much. Everyone's divided into camp Sparkly Vampire or camp Shirtless Werewolf, because that's how marketing sells product, by making fans of team X hate on team Y and anyone not of your favorite brand has to be treated like the heel of a wrestling story, even if various players transfer between those teams and they are otherwise mostly identical.

There is no more 'up and out' for mutants. The powers-that-be have yoinked back those that had succeeded elsewhere (Beast, Firestar, etc.) and fettered them to the franchise, where there are pre-established 'Omegas' and 'important people' and if they aren't among them, then sucks to be them, they get stuck being backgrounders who are seen drinking in the background and event fodder who die to remind us that villain-of-the-week is even more badass than villain-of-last-week.
    I was going to comment but seem you have said peetty much all i wanted to say...we essentially become slave of marketing, like most pop culture had become in altest 15 years or so(before was present but not as pervasive as today, fucking youtube algorythm know stuff i jave not said anyone)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I've been obsessed with Tad Carter and Tobias Messenger ever since I found out about them haha. I love it when creators come up with these "prototype" characters and then rework them into something similar at a later date. Mangakas often do this. I really enjoyed what John Byrne did with the Promise team in The Hidden Years.

Speaking of prototypes, it's amazing how much Lee & Kirby straight-up lifted from sci-fi novels to create the X-Men and many of the concepts around them, this article is particularly enlightening: https://www.popmatters.com/x-men-ex-...495490034.html
    Well, as someone put it... no work of fiction is created in a vacuum. Everything borrows from the world around. That telepathic superhuman concept even inspired Superman in some ways. Yeah... the Superhero we all know today.. was not his creator's first work.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    That's just false. O5 graduated very very early in the first comics.
    How about the initial class of 1975 X-Men line-up and the 1982 New Mutants line-up? While the original 05 graduated, I would had loved to have seen Hank McCoy and Peter Parker as classmates at Empire State University. Especially with Hank McCoy working with The Fantastic Four and Dr. Bruce Banner.