Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    About Rogue and mimics I kind noticed, due my passion for superheroes rpg(after all these years my favored still remain faserip, albeit I have soft spot for heroes unlimited and SAS) I noticed that most marvel mimics have little subtles differences.
    Rogue remain the best sind esher has an spect that no other mimic does, and has been kind of downplayed these years: she does not copy just the powers, but also the minds and personalities as well. Plus life force draining. She is the perfect interrogator since her touch bypass all mind shields whatsoever, and could potentially accumulate lot of knowledge in her mind.
    Synch has insane range, Hope is an hub and can switch/load powers very fast, faster than synch and Rogue can do, Mimic can store powers for long, albeit at half the range, Superadaptoid as well, albeit if it focus in single individual can assume its shape perfectly(Adaptoid is cheating since it is powered by a shard of a cosmic cube), originally superskrulls need an extra boost from a projector to keep the mimicked powers, warskrulls need a living subject to keep on copying but the copy is perfect on all aspect. Impossible man has absolute shape-shifting I cannot call it simple a mimic, still can assume any and all shape conceivable and seemed able to mime any powers he see if he wanted to. Only drawbacks he keep the color(like a boosted version of plastic man...). Spidercide...yeahh let ignore it. Interesting there is a Hulk version of mimic, often forgotten(not by faserip and m&m community who work hard dot convert every single fictional character in their system...TWICE!) Her name is gender, cna copy powers of all gamma powered mutates. She keep a lock of doc samsun hair on her all the time, so she can copy his powers always, interesting creepy aspect of her power that fit modern Hulk mythos.
    I think I have covered them all. But not sure.
    Yeah, I know that basically she doesn't have a single power (the imitation of power) but thanks to xmen legacy it was made clear that there are really several powers.

1) power grab

2) take vital energy / life

3) mind taking.

4) taking emotions (empathy)

5) Taking physical and intellectual skills.

6) and be able to steal powers permanently and leave other characters depowered.

7) SHE seems to take the powers and merge them if she wants, or add strength to strength depending on the powers she takes, this I think is something unique in her, she transforms the energy / powers.

That when she has control of her powers she can separate these abilities or use them all at once.
    IN ADDITION, IT IS STILL THE BEST AT HANDLING MULTIPLE POWERS AT THE SAME TIME, WITH NO LIMIT OF POWER CONTAINMENT.

And his potential abilities in the future and already proven, is the absorption at a distance, and the rechanneling of powers absorbed in the past, but this is like the maximum state of his powers, which I assume could be seen better in situated stories than in the future .

The other imitators basically only imitate power and don't do anything else, except Hope who also has Fabián cortez's ability, but it's still somewhat deficient if he doesn't have anyone to imitate, the same Synch, and that's why he died in The past now gave him the rogue's latent ability to remember powers, but inefficiently, because each time he does so he ages and gets closer and closer to his death again.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    I assume this is a joke, though just in case.

His powers are a simple form of matter replication/projecting and we had characters capable of that in regards to various substances for decades.

Tar, bone, crystal/diamond, metal, flesh, acid, molten rock, chitin, water, wax, the list goes on.

So not really that original beyond being a lame pun.

Thinking about this, i wonder if meta-physical super powers like psy abilities and energy manipulation are actualy much more difficult to keep appart or limit in their bandwith of use, than purely physical super powers?

With physical super powers the readers can simply relate real world mechanisms to how these fictional powers work and understand why "A can do A but not B" or why "A can do A but also B" based on what their powers imply.

Basicly even though these powers break the laws of physics aswell, they are still understandable in how they can work under these super natural circumstances. These limitations can even convince writers to bother with explaining the functionality of their powers based on understanding of real world science and biology, which gives them both much more clear limitations but also a greater potential for distinction.

This also seems to apply to powers related to specific matter or physical states.

Meanwhile with meta-physical powers like energy manipulation and psy abilities, there are no clear boundaries based on the real world mechanisms or material, which can used to clearly explain why Power A can only do A but not B.

So these might have a greater chance of becoming muddled in what they can and can't do compared to powers clearly limited by mechanism or material the reader understands.
    well, with teleporters, you have guys like Nightcrawler who can teleport reflexively. Then you have teleporters who need concentration just to choose a target.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    well, with teleporters, you have guys like Nightcrawler who can teleport reflexively. Then you have teleporters who need concentration just to choose a target.
    Yeah, all those telepaths more or less use the same 'mechanism' to telepath, but it seems like every other teleporter follows different rules. Nightcrawler slides across the Brimstone Dimension. Amelia Voight disassembles into mist and moves across the intervening space like something out of Star Trek. Ilyanna makes a 'stepping disk' portal. Manifold seems to actually fold space. Vanisher's teleporation has been described as psionic in nature.

If every telepath had to reinvent the wheel like this, we'd have one with standard telepathy, another who uses chemical pheremones to create an insect-like hive-mind with others, a third that infects everyone around them with microscopic cerebral symbiotes that connect their brains (and *you* get a pinhead sized piece of my brain, and *you* get a tiny piece of my brain...), another that taps into some squiffy collective consciousness, etc.

Speaking of teleporters. After reading Gambit #1 I found out Lila Cheney can only teleport over vast distances. Like she cant teleport across a street. I had no idea that was part of her power set. very interesting.

This mutant teleporter first appeared in Yellow Claw #2 (1956):

Gene Bitner
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

This mutant telepath first appeared in Amazing Adult Fantasy (1962). He was born deaf and mute and his telepathic communication comes very loud to those he “speaks” to.

Tobias Messenger

75252B2A-C7F1-499C-A8B2-197611CF4DA5.jpg
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Romy134 View Post
    Speaking of teleporters. After reading Gambit #1 I found out Lila Cheney can only teleport over vast distances. Like she cant teleport across a street. I had no idea that was part of her power set. very interesting.
    Yup. She has to hop to her Dyson Sphere across the universe, and then can reappear a few feet from where she was originally, if she wants to just cross a room with teleportation! A funky limitation.

And the notion that she has an entire inhabitable Dyson Sphere to herself is one of those mind-boggling notions that can only appear in comics, where they can be politely ignored by every writer that comes after. (Since she could house the sixteen million mutants of Genosha in 1% of 1% of 1% of the space she has available to her on a Dyson Sphere with a livable surface area 550 million times that of planet Earth...)

Quote Originally Posted by Romy134 View Post
    Yeah, the only explanation is that it's because of how fast she moves. She can literally move lightyears in seconds. By the time she thinks "teleport"... she's already out of the solar system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, all those telepaths more or less use the same 'mechanism' to telepath, but it seems like every other teleporter follows different rules. Nightcrawler slides across the Brimstone Dimension. Amelia Voight disassembles into mist and moves across the intervening space like something out of Star Trek. Ilyanna makes a 'stepping disk' portal. Manifold seems to actually fold space. Vanisher's teleporation has been described as psionic in nature.

If every telepath had to reinvent the wheel like this, we'd have one with standard telepathy, another who uses chemical pheremones to create an insect-like hive-mind with others, a third that infects everyone around them with microscopic cerebral symbiotes that connect their brains (and *you* get a pinhead sized piece of my brain, and *you* get a tiny piece of my brain...), another that taps into some squiffy collective consciousness, etc.
    Well, some telepaths had odd limits to their powers.

Karma couldn't read your mind, but could control you.

Chamber couldn't read minds at all, but could broadcast his thoughts.

And so on...

Mighty Member

Yeah, the only explanation is that it's because of how fast she moves. She can literally move lightyears in seconds. By the time she thinks "teleport"... she's already out of the solar system.
    Well, some telepaths had odd limits to their powers.

Karma couldn't read your mind, but could control you.

Chamber couldn't read minds at all, but could broadcast his thoughts.

And so on...
    karma can read minds, just that it was discovered during her time with Emma.

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    karma can read minds, just that it was discovered during her time with Emma.
    "discovered"... IE a retcon and change to her powers.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    This mutant telepath first appeared in Amazing Adult Fantasy (1962). He was born deaf and mute and his telepathic communication comes very loud to those he “speaks” to.

Tobias Messenger

75252B2A-C7F1-499C-A8B2-197611CF4DA5.jpg
    I've been obsessed with Tad Carter and Tobias Messenger ever since I found out about them haha. I love it when creators come up with these "prototype" characters and then rework them into something similar at a later date. Mangakas often do this. I really enjoyed what John Byrne did with the Promise team in The Hidden Years.

Speaking of prototypes, it's amazing how much Lee & Kirby straight-up lifted from sci-fi novels to create the X-Men and many of the concepts around them, this article is particularly enlightening: https://www.popmatters.com/x-men-ex-...495490034.html

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    About Rogue and mimics I kind noticed, due my passion for superheroes rpg(after all these years my favored still remain faserip, albeit I have soft spot for heroes unlimited and SAS) I noticed that most marvel mimics have little subtles differences.
    Rogue remain the best sind esher has an spect that no other mimic does, and has been kind of downplayed these years: she does not copy just the powers, but also the minds and personalities as well. Plus life force draining. She is the perfect interrogator since her touch bypass all mind shields whatsoever, and could potentially accumulate lot of knowledge in her mind.
    Synch has insane range, Hope is an hub and can switch/load powers very fast, faster than synch and Rogue can do, Mimic can store powers for long, albeit at half the range, Superadaptoid as well, albeit if it focus in single individual can assume its shape perfectly(Adaptoid is cheating since it is powered by a shard of a cosmic cube), originally superskrulls need an extra boost from a projector to keep the mimicked powers, warskrulls need a living subject to keep on copying but the copy is perfect on all aspect. Impossible man has absolute shape-shifting I cannot call it simple a mimic, still can assume any and all shape conceivable and seemed able to mime any powers he see if he wanted to. Only drawbacks he keep the color(like a boosted version of plastic man...). Spidercide...yeahh let ignore it. Interesting there is a Hulk version of mimic, often forgotten(not by faserip and m&m community who work hard dot convert every single fictional character in their system...TWICE!) Her name is gender, cna copy powers of all gamma powered mutates. She keep a lock of doc samsun hair on her all the time, so she can copy his powers always, interesting creepy aspect of her power that fit modern Hulk mythos.
    I think I have covered them all. But not sure.

not to mention rogue can strip a persons powers away from them

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    This age of xmen sucks to be honest. Everyone is creating psychic weapons. Multiple power copiers like hope, synch,mimic. Multiple telepaths! What happened to attempting originality?
    Too many characters. Not retiring them to other parts of the MU. The original mission of the X-Men was learn to control your powers, graduate, and move on to Marvel Universe as either a ally or antagonist, like Spider-Man's world.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Too many characters. Not retiring them to other parts of the MU. The original mission of the X-Men was learn to control your powers, graduate, and move on to Marvel Universe as either a ally or antagonist, like Spider-Man's world.
    The original XMen creators see dead. This is a different society in real life and we cannot expect people now to write as people back then.

And in order practice the XMen never sought to be Avengers. Beast did as a fluke.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    The original X-Men creators are dead. This is a different society. In real life, we cannot expect people now to write as people back then.

And in order practice the X-Men never sought to be Avengers. Beast did as a fluke.
    Well, once the X-Men class graduate, they move on to make way for the new cast of students. Some of the x-characters could fit into other books. It doesn't have to be a superhero team like The Avengers. Too much segregation of not using the X-characters outside the x-verse...