Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

For myself I will look forward to the next iteration with the hope that the next cast are team players and, more than that, that the drivers are the DC Characters and their rich catalogue of stories

I blame WB

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I would kind of like to see a reboot for a couple reasons:

1) There are no sequels on the horizon. How long would it take to get another one? If things are still stagnant like they have been for the last few years, we may as well just get started on another franchise.

2) The DCEU is a mess. There's no way Miller is coming back. They've already got a Supergirl movie in the works which will take at least another couple years to make. No one seems to know what "counts" and what doesn't. Let's face it, we're not getting another Superman movie anytime soon. And that's even if they manage to sit down with Cavill and work things out.

THAT HAVING BEEN SAID

The poster who said that DC has had decades to make this work and blew it isn't wrong. They are clearly still being haunted by the silver age and the success of Marvel. When good directors come to you with at least halfway decent ideas and you shoot them down for a rehash of the first movie and Batman with super-powers, the problem is on your end. I would argue all of DC has been mismanaged for the last 20 years. The only really successful versions seem to be TV shows with low expectations. Lois & Clark came from DC president Jeannette Kahn. At least in terms of the idea. A Superman show for adult couples instead of young boys was a crazy idea in the early nineties. Smallville flew under the radar until it aired and even then expectations were low. S&L was only greenlit because it was made by a group with an already successful track record working with his cousin. In other words, either accidents or people with proven track records. WB needs to get over the silver age and sit down with some of the comic people and find a way to make this work. Maybe hand the entire thing over to the Arrowverse people since they seem to know what they're doing.
    Assassinate Putin!

New story on latest Flash screening which more or less confirms WBD will erase Superman from the DCEU.

For some reason link won't take but check the story out on Cosmic Book News dated 07/29/22 entitled Supergirl replaces superman man of steel.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 07-30-2022 at 11:25 AM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    New story on latest Flash screening which more or less confirms WBD will erase Superman from the DCEU.

For some reason link won't take but check the story out on Cosmic Book News dated 07/29/22 entitled Supergirl replaces superman man of steel.
    Cosmic Book News is not exactly a reliable news source. They are a straight up click-bait factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Cosmic Book News is not exactly a reliable news source. They are a straight up click-bait factory.
    Something is going on with the Flash. A slew of rumors out there in the past few days. New screenings and, most importantly, rumors new footage has been shot for the Flash very recently. Coming on the heels of confirmation that Batfleck is in Aquaman 2 and therefore exists in the WBD DCEU. Aquaman 2 was supposed to follow Flash and now, with Bats back, the order of the films makes things confusing. The new Flash footage that was filmed is likely in part a "fix" to that problem. Supposedly in agreeing to do Flash scenes a few years back Affleck got the script tweaked to allow for his return to the DCEU. Leaving Batman's status vague. Now that Affleck is back my guess is some of the new scenes make it clear Batman is still in the DCEU and kicking butt. The new rumor is that Batfleck will appear in Batgirl along with Michael Keaton. Zaslov is putting Batman everywhere. Notice the Shazam 2 trailer features Batfleck (and the other JLers but for Supes and Cyborg) front and center.

Affleck never totally left WB/DC hence having the Flash script changed to leave room for him to return to the DCEU. He is still supposedly interested in seeing his Batman script come to life. I think WBD/Zaslov have given him the go ahead to develop his Batman project and that will be, if not the first announcement from the new DC head, then at least one of the first announcements. How does Batfleck Returns for the 2024 XMAS holiday sound?! I'd put money down that it's happening. I assume that, as well as a solo Batman, Affleck has agreed to do the JL reboot that Zaslov seems to have as a top priority.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 07-31-2022 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    Something is going on with the Flash. A slew of rumors out there in the past few days. New screenings and, most importantly, rumors new footage has been shot for the Flash very recently. Coming on the heels of confirmation that Batfleck is in Aquaman 2 and therefore exists in the WBD DCEU. Aquaman 2 was supposed to follow Flash and now, with Bats back, the order of the films makes things confusing. The new Flash footage that was filmed is likely in part a "fix" to that problem. Supposedly in agreeing to do Flash scenes a few years back Affleck got the script tweaked to allow for his return to the DCEU. Leaving Batman's status vague. Now that Affleck is back my guess is some of the new scenes make it clear Batman is still in the DCEU and kicking butt. The new rumor is that Batfleck will appear in Batgirl along with Michael Keaton. Zaslov is putting Batman everywhere. Notice the Shazam 2 trailer features Batfleck (and the other JLers but for Supes and Cyborg) front and center.

Affleck never totally left WB/DC hence having the Flash script changed to leave room for him to return to the DCEU. He is still supposedly interested in seeing his Batman script come to life. I think WBD/Zaslov have given him the go ahead to develop his Batman project and that will be, if not the first announcement from the new DC head, then at least one of the first announcements. How does Batfleck Returns for the 2024 XMAS holiday sound?! I'd put money down that it's happening. I assume that, as well as a solo Batman, Affleck has agreed to do the JL reboot that Zaslov seems to have as a top priority.
    I have no doubt that something is going on with The Flash, but I wouldn't take anything you read from Cosmic Book News as anything other than clickbait.

Spectacular Member

I lay the blame squarely at the feet of WB. If Cavill had indeed done the cameos, he would have given up any bargaining power and leverage he had for literally nothing in return. It's quite clear WB never had any intention of following through on their promise to him, and you just need to look at the example of the Hulk to see the road they had placed Cavill on. Also, given the amount of failed ideas that have come from WB since BvS, if I were in his shoes I would absolutely demand some form of creative input over the next Superman movie, if only to mitigate any incompetent meddling from the higher ups like Hamada.

Remember, MoS did decently at the box office for a franchise starter, it wasn't a bomb at all, but it was WB that panicked and forced Snyder to stuff Batman, Wonder Woman and the rest into BvS to begin with instead of doing MOS2 since they were so desperately flailing around for their own Marvel universe, and then hacked the film to pieces once he had completed it (seriously, the BvS directors cut, while not a perfect movie, is so much more coherent and effective than what we saw in the theatres). They're the ones who went with Joss Whedon to butcher JL. They're the ones who paid a dump truck full of money to JJ Abrams for literally nothing. Now they want Zod to kill off Kal-el as a baby and replace him with Supergirl from what the rumours say. The sheer level of stupidity is staggering. The list goes on and on. I'd argue that WB have been engaging in bad faith with Cavill for the past decade, so why on earth should he give them the benefit of the doubt at this point?
    Last edited by Monari; 07-31-2022 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monari View Post
    It's quite clear WB never had any intention of following through on their promise to him, and you just need to look at the example of the Hulk to see the road they had placed Cavill on.
    Hulk's legal situation was different from Superman's. Universal held the distribution rights to Hulk solo movies, so Disney only used him in Avengers movies or as a guest star/cameo in other MCU films. If Disney could've made a Hulk solo movie without having to split the box office with Universal, they probably would've done so, so they used Hulk to prop up the floundering Thor franchise instead, which they owned free and clear.

Superman was in a different legal situation in which WB was obligated to make MoS or else they would've gotten sued by the Seigel heirs for failing, repeatedly, to exploit the Superman property. I do not know if that's currently the case though as I think WB and the Seigel heirs have a new agreement these days.

I will def blame WB the most. And based on how Zazlov is handling HBO, I already don't like the dude so I have no problem blaming him for the next Superman related f*ck up either

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I have no doubt that something is going on with The Flash, but I wouldn't take anything you read from Cosmic Book News as anything other than clickbait.
    It's not just the Flash. Aquaman is getting new footage featuring Batfleck and the rumor is Batgirl as well. The surprise Shazam 2 trailer featuring Batfleck is part of it too. Zaslov's focus, besides getting his team in place, seems to be Batman. It's like Zaslov came on board and learned the old regime planned to not have Batman in the DCEU and he was stunned. Hello - Batman is the most lucrative DC film franchise and one of the most lucrative superhero franchises overall. That was not going to happen under his watch. He apparently moved immediately to reverse things as the new footage and reshoots have been going on for a month or more and Zaslov has been in place not much longer than that. There were rumors this spring that Affleck had signed onto a multi-picture deal for Batman which seems to be confirmed by the Batfleck filming Aquaman 2 and Batgirl and additional scenes in Flash. A new contract needs to be in place for him to do that.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 08-01-2022 at 07:53 AM.

BANNED

Erasing Superman is like MCU trying to erase Spider-Man.
    I would like to believe they are not that of a kind morons.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Erasing Superman is like MCU trying to erase Spider-Man
    MCU was doing just fine without Spider-Man. Up until No Way Home, his movies were amongst the weaker entries.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    MCU was doing just fine without Spider-Man. Up until No Way Home, his movies were amongst the weaker entries.
    Even so, erasing Superman is kind of extreme measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Even so, erasing Superman is kind of extreme measure.
    WBD is erasing and replacing so there will still be a Kryptonian in the DCEU.

Plus, the Abrams Black Superman project will have a Superman in a different universe siloed from the DCEU with his own villains and such. All apart from the DCEU. WBD liked the script and sent it back for rewrites to get more action into the film. Those rewrites should be done by now. WBD is probably waiting for the new DC head to be on board before announcing if they will greenlight the Abrams project.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 08-01-2022 at 06:02 PM.