Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    The stories often need to be fixed for the trades. The monthly schedule does that the story isn't as tight as it could be.
    How much does that matter? Is there any indication that sales of graphic novels are lower because some readers think the stories could be tighter?

In order to fix this problem, it's asking publishers to give up benefits of the existing system.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Not at all. A strong Marvel and a strong DC means a strong industry altogether. It's more an economic question of value for your dollar, and what can be plausibly done to make comics the best value for both the consumer and the publisher. Format seems to me to be the central area of debate as the cost/value ratio of the individual monthly issue being too high seems to be the one area where all fans agree. Obviously, from a company's standpoint, once you get a consumer paying a higher price, you aren't going to lower the price unless there's some kind of need to. If readers begin to eschew monthly issues in large numbers, then you either have to lower prices or develop a new format. It may not actually be cost effective to lower the cost of monthly issues, particularly when you factor in production and transportation costs. A new format may be the answer.
    For a company to make more money at a lower price point, they're going to have increase readership by a lot, given the costs involved, some of which would increase as volume increases (shipping, printing, cost of the physical space for retailers.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    The SC Earth One's are around $15 for over 120 pages.
    Those were published after the $20 hardcovers two years earlier. I'm suspicious of the financial viaibility of the Earth One model, given how rarely these are published.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    The SC Earth One's are around $15 for over 120 pages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Those were published after the $20 hardcovers two years earlier. I'm suspicious of the financial viaibility of the Earth One model, given how rarely these are published.
    I had the same thought as Mister Mets. If the Earth One model was financially successful we would see the market flooded with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    How much does that matter? Is there any indication that sales of graphic novels are lower because some readers think the stories could be tighter?

In order to fix this problem, it's asking publishers to give up benefits of the existing system.
    I'm not talking about better sales. I'm talking about better and more streamline stories. This will benefit the industry in the long run.

I'm not talking about better sales. I'm talking about better and more streamline stories. This will benefit the industry in the long run.
    I wish quality equaled sales in comics......oh so much. But it doesn't.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    I wish quality equaled sales in comics......oh so much. But it doesn't.
    Perhaps they don't. however releasing a lot bad comics will in hurt the industry in the long run. The 90s prove this.
    Last edited by Tupiaz; 09-20-2014 at 08:26 PM.

To some degree I agree with the original OP that the monthly format does constrain the creators in structuring and pacing stories. But I think stand-alone graphic novels are less and less common and that the demise of the floppy would certainly wreck the LCS in the U.S. at least.

As someone who waits for trade, I regret not having more influence on which series continue on. I feel like there are many times I'll read a TPB of a series that was great but was cancelled to low sales, and you wonder if the books might have continued had the publishers known in advance how well the trade would be received.

I've heard notions of using 6 season approach to publishing series, and to me it would make sense to have a book publish a 6 issue arc, collect in TPB and based on sales data after a few months make a decision on whether to publish another arc or not. I guess the drawback would be that creators would have to switch off onto another title every 6 months to have work being published year round. And additionally, creators could find themselves getting out of a groove if they switch off books. But I think it might work for certain titles like Dial H etc. that are well received but sell poorly as floppies.

To me, this still gives floppy collectors good reasons to go to the store every week but also allows trade waiters to hopefully show publishers more support for continuing series. But I'm sure there are lots of arguments against this as well or reasons that it would be unfeasible. I could be way off base about the number of TPB sold right after publication.

All-New Member Cezar The Scribe's Avatar

The question is pretty simply should Marvel, DC, Image and the independent comic publisher stop published monthly series and begin to publish series once-twice a year with the whole story collected into one volume (Maybe two)?
    No. Bad idea. I like monthly single comic books.

Quote Originally Posted by Cezar The Scribe View Post
    Sorry but it is not a valid argument at all. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it a bad idea and just because you like floppies doesn't mean that the big two shouldn't swift. You are welcome to come with a real argument instead of one just based about how you feel.

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    To some degree I agree with the original OP that the monthly format does constrain the creators in structuring and pacing stories. But I think stand-alone graphic novels are less and less common and that the demise of the floppy would certainly wreck the LCS in the U.S. at least.

As someone who waits for trade, I regret not having more influence on which series continue on. I feel like there are many times I'll read a TPB of a series that was great but was cancelled to low sales, and you wonder if the books might have continued had the publishers known in advance how well the trade would be received.

I've heard notions of using 6 season approach to publishing series, and to me it would make sense to have a book publish a 6 issue arc, collect in TPB and based on sales data after a few months make a decision on whether to publish another arc or not. I guess the drawback would be that creators would have to switch off onto another title every 6 months to have work being published year round. And additionally, creators could find themselves getting out of a groove if they switch off books. But I think it might work for certain titles like Dial H etc. that are well received but sell poorly as floppies.

To me, this still gives floppy collectors good reasons to go to the store every week but also allows trade waiters to hopefully show publishers more support for continuing series. But I'm sure there are lots of arguments against this as well or reasons that it would be unfeasible. I could be way off base about the number of TPB sold right after publication.
    It is not your fault but a business fault. If a series could survive. The problem (at least for DC) is that the trade is out so much later than the final issue. Image and Marvel's trades are more or less out along with the final issue of the trade.

It is not your fault but a business fault. If a series could survive. The problem (at least for DC) is that the trade is out so much later than the final issue. Image and Marvel's trades are more or less out along with the final issue of the trade.
    Which is exactly as it should be. Modern printing techniques make it very very easy to throw that trade together. It could be going to print at the same time as the last collected issue. I would create a pull list of collections if they came out in a timely format that didn't leave me waiting six months to a year.

Which is exactly as it should be. Modern printing techniques make it very very easy to throw that trade together. It could be going to print at the same time as the last collected issue. I would create a pull list of collections if they came out in a timely format that didn't leave me waiting six months to a year.
    I believe it is to keep the comic books stores happy because it makes more people coming to the store. CBS was created to sellback issues because stories was rarely collected and it was the only way to read older stories. It was also a way for the DC and Marvel to sell all the comics without getting them returned. CBS is only kept alive because the business model is as it is, it is not necessarily because the readers want to read the floppies but is forced if the want to know what happened in the newest storyline.Which for me is a problem it seems like many CBS is kept alive simply because of keeping them alive not for letting them have an actual purpose (like having old comics). Some could be still alive if the business model was hanged, but some would stay alive since there would be readers for who wanted to go to the comic store and because it could have rare/less known stuff among statues/acton figures and the likes.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cezar The Scribe View Post
    I think for some character you have no choice.

Issues vary for every book and we need to look at those.

For a lot books it comes down to first come first serve or wait for the trade. Of the new 52 books I Vampire & Static Shock did what Teen Titans, Superman, Batman and many others could not do.

They SOLD OUT constantly. They did what they were suppose to do sell out at cover price and not sit in 50 cent/dollar bins like Batman and others do (sometimes the day after they come out).

Now here is the disadvantage-once they sold out, they don't get reordered. Because many can not. So what happens is if I wanted to try those books out-I couldn't and had to wait for the trade.

That is what is killing a lot of books-no one can find a copy because you have too many store owners over ordering Batman and friends.

The warning shot got fired when we saw Bob Burgers get the 2nd most advance orders. Comic book store owners have to change their mind set now. Order enough to SELL not store to HOPE you can sell it at 10 times the price later. Those days are OVER. Because everybody can get those books cheaper elsewhere.

Also for the characters that you would have no choice in not doing monthlies.

You don't do the monthly but a graphic novel-you can BYPASS the comic book store and get into Barnes & Nobles, Wal-Mart and other stores. You can also bypass certain folks who dislike said character or owners who won't sell the monthly.

Static has no business with a monthly-because you would forever battle trying to get new readers and fighting trolls. His fans do not read comics. SO you go with the next best thing-a digest.

Like Archie. 256-300 page digest at $6.99. Static, Teen Titans Go, Young Justice, Gotham Academy, Batman Beyond & rotate the final 2 slots.

Or the other option is treat books like seasons. Do 6 issues of say Teen Titans for 2014 and let Blue Beetle take over for the other 6. Then repeat next year.

I believe it is to keep the comic books stores happy because it makes more people coming to the store. CBS was created to sellback issues because stories was rarely collected and it was the only way to read older stories. It was also a way for the DC and Marvel to sell all the comics without getting them returned. CBS is only kept alive because the business model is as it is, it is not necessarily because the readers want to read the floppies but is forced if the want to know what happened in the newest storyline.Which for me is a problem it seems like many CBS is kept alive simply because of keeping them alive not for letting them have an actual purpose (like having old comics). Some could be still alive if the business model was hanged, but some would stay alive since there would be readers for who wanted to go to the comic store and because it could have rare/less known stuff among statues/acton figures and the likes.
    I think that could work both ways, though. If current books were being collected more quickly, it might help to drive that market that has gone to trade waiting BACK into the comic shops. I only go in an LCS maybe 8 to 10 times a year, but put current trades out that are collecting stuff that is still sitting on the shelf, make them early releases that only the LCS gets for, maybe, three months, and I'm back spending money in the shop as apposed to B&N or Amazon.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

You are welcome to come with a real argument instead of one just based about how you feel.
    Same applies to you.

Just because you don't like floppies doesn't mean they're a bad idea. In fact you've argued this won't even help sales of graphic novels:
    I'm not talking about better sales. I'm talking about better and more streamline stories.
    Businesses are in the business of earning money. That's why they're businesses and not charities.

I think that could work both ways, though. If current books were being collected more quickly, it might help to drive that market that has gone to trade waiting BACK into the comic shops. I only go in an LCS maybe 8 to 10 times a year, but put current trades out that are collecting stuff that is still sitting on the shelf, make them early releases that only the LCS gets for, maybe, three months, and I'm back spending money in the shop as apposed to B&N or Amazon.
    That could certainly be away or have a special limited edition cover that are only sold at Comic shops. However this would not be a free market and the comic shops would have an advance just because they are comic shops. You really need to ask if the comic shops are really need since you no longer need back issues to read the old comics. Many valuable comics are no longer sold in comic shop but either online or auction houses. It seems like that comic shops isn't need as much as it use to because the society has change and is only kept alive because the way comics are released.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Same applies to you.

Just because you don't like floppies doesn't mean they're a bad idea. In fact you've argued this won't even help sales of graphic novels:

Businesses are in the business of earning money. That's why they're businesses and not charities.
    I haven't made any arguments that floppies should be stopped because I dislike floppies but because it could be beneficial to do change it. It is fine you a pro floppies. The argument just needs to be better than "I like floppies there there should be floppies". I even ask for people to make a better argument than based on how you feel in the OP.

Overall there would be selling more and making more money. Would they sale 100K Batman trades maybe not but the sales would be spread out more. You would also gain new audience a lot easier. Maybe the sales would dive in the beginning but later on it would be beneficial for the comics to change how they are released. Also I think the stories would be better and then the sales for me is not really a concern. This is a problem DC and Marvel is more focused on whats make the most money and not what is the best story. Making shock effect over and over again which in the end would make people move away from comics because of the lack of content.
    Last edited by Tupiaz; 09-09-2014 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Floppies don't bother me, per se, but the structure of the stories is what bothers me. Most comics now are written to be collected. The ones that aren't are very few and far between. The reason for that is really simple, trades will sell for years and years, especially if the title is popular or well received, while floppies will sell for a few weeks and then be forgotten.

So lets look at this from a business stand point of ONLY Marvel and DC. Forget the creators, forget the comic shops, those are separate businesses or contracted employees. As a company, does it make more sense to release a 20 page piece of a 120 page story for $4 or $5 that will only be sold in a comparatively small market, or does it make more sense to release 120 pages of a 120 page story for $25, and have that product sold anywhere that carries books? To me, the smartest business decision comic publishers could make would be to abandon the comic shop model that they have shoe horned themselves into. Dollars and cents says you need to appeal to the largest market possible, and the potential for these publishers isn't being realized by catering to the current comic buying market. Sales and interest in their properties in printed form dwindles more and more very year. They need desperately to find an avenue into new readers, or this "hobby" of ours won't survive the next 20 years in any way that we would recognize currently.

In today's market, there is an argument that could be made that floppies are no longer relevant. In a world where everything you could ever want is literally available to you immediately in the palm of your hand, HOW does it make ANY sense to continue stretching stories out for six months at a time? People get antsy now if a video takes too long to buffer or their eReader has to be restarted for whatever reason. Web page takes too long to load? End of the world for some people. And for better or worse, that is where the money is, in that younger demographic. But by sticking steadfastly to this monthly publishing regiment of floppies, publishers are completely ignoring the world that exists around them.