Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default The Arrowverse just destroyed the integrity of the 1990 Flash series

So basically, the Monitor destroyed Earth-90. This means that all heroic deeds and accomplishments that the 1990 Barry Allen (John Wesley Shipp) got on there had been 100% USELESS, because the entire Earth was eventually destroyed in a blink of the eye.

Plus, Barry Allen (JWS) sacrificed himself.

The entire 1990 Flash series has been obliterated just for stupid storytelling purposes related to the Arrowverse.
    Last edited by Mutant 77; 07-30-2022 at 04:36 PM.

Nuh uh! Not only do I still have the old DVDs but I also have it in my Prime queue

Basically he went out how comic Barry did in Crisis, which was one of the greatest heroic sacrifices of comics.

Astonishing Member

I'm sure Ollie restored Earth 90 along with all the other destroyed universes.

Incredible Member

It was the Monitor who destroyed Earth-90 during Elseworlds. Maybe it came back at the end of COIE, Smallville-Earth wasn't shown, but it is supposed to still exists after the reborn of the multiverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant 77 View Post
    So basically, the Anti-Monitor destroyed Earth-90. This means that all heroic deeds and accomplishments that the 1990 Barry Allen (John Wesley Shipp) got on there had been 100% USELESS, because the entire Earth was eventually destroyed in a blink of the eye.

Plus, Barry Allen (JWS) sacrificed himself.

The entire 1990 Flash series has been obliterated just for stupid storytelling purposes related to the Arrowverse.
    Catching up on TV watching?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by Batgrayson View Post
    It was the Monitor who destroyed Earth-90 during Elseworlds. Maybe it came back at the end of COIE, Smallville-Earth wasn't shown, but it is supposed to still exists after the reborn of the multiverse.
    Same for the Birds of Prey-verse and others. The showrunner did state in an interview that the intent was that all the old shows and movies that were used in the Crises story were resurrected in the end, since the point was to celebrate past DC franchises and have fun stuff for viewers, not write the end of other people's projects.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Retired

I've never been able to understand how the Crisis--either in the original comic book or in the Arrowverse--removed all the universes from ever having existed. I won't go into here, but every time I try to work it out, it makes no sense and I'm left exasperated. It boils down to saying that what exists doesn't exist, which is a contradiction in terms. It's impossible in the real world and even in the fantasy world it's not comprehensible.

If those universes exist then they still exist. Even their futures must still exist, since there were stories about their futures. You could say that new universes were created, but I'd still maintain that the old universes have to exist somewhere out there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I've never been able to understand how the Crisis--either in the original comic book or in the Arrowverse--removed all the universes from ever having existed. I won't go into here, but every time I try to work it out, it makes no sense and I'm left exasperated. It boils down to saying that what exists doesn't exist, which is a contradiction in terms. It's impossible in the real world and even in the fantasy world it's not comprehensible.

If those universes exist then they still exist. Even their futures must still exist, since there were stories about their futures. You could say that new universes were created, but I'd still maintain that the old universes have to exist somewhere out there.
    This was neatly addressed by Morrison in an old interview around the time of Convergence. He likened the countless orreries of worlds to "bubbles in a champagne glass" and suggested that some orreries were far removed from others such that they'd never know the other existed. I took that to mean that the pre-COIE Earths remain intact and are simply in other orreries throughout what he called the "Megaverse." Johns' seems to have taken this idea and adapted it for his solution in Doomsday Clock. It's a shame that these two elegant solutions to the problem of continuity couldn't have been made THE final word on the issue for all creators going forward.

Should it still be called "The Arrowverse" these days since that show ended two-and-a-half years ago?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

There's a theory among Smallville fans that Earth whatever-it-was wasn't the "official" Smallville Earth. For one thing, the comics had their own version of Crisis. So it's possible that each of the Earths destroyed by Crisis weren't the "official" versions but stand ins with similar histories. Does anyone see Earth 96 as the "official" Donnerverse? It's all fiction. Nothing is official unless you consider it official.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I'm sure Ollie restored Earth 90 along with all the other destroyed universes.
    Is this stated or shown on-screen?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Batgrayson View Post
    Supposed how?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Does anyone see Earth 96 as the "official" Donnerverse? It's all fiction. Nothing is official unless you consider it official.
    Earth-96 wasn't either the Donnerverse or the "Superman Returns Earth". It was a kind of hybrid.

•Clark Kent / Superman mentions his son Jason and alludes to the events of Superman III, a nod to Reeve's films.

In the Superman Returns universe, the events of Superman III never occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant 77 View Post
    The Arrowverse just destroyed the integrity of the 1990 Flash series
    Not really.

I use to watch the John Wesley Shipp-version of The Flash.

I haven't been watching the "Arrowverse" shows.

Therefore, the version of The Flash I remember hasn't been destroyed as far as I'm concerned.