Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member James Cameron's Avatar

Default How long should Batman films go on without the Batfimily?

I for one really enjoyed the most recent Batman film mainly because, in my opinion, it treated the source material with more reverance than any other Batman movie and I appreciated how faithful it was despite some deviances. If they are on track to making more films, perhaps a whole series of films, how long can they continue without establishing the Batfamily?

I feel that Batman in media will suffer the less and less we see the Batfamily and Bruce interacting with the rest of the family. There is the Gotham Knights game coming out, but Batman isn't even in it. Titans has a lot of Batman supporting characters, but Bruce Wayne himself barely appears. I think with live action media in particular these producers seem like they're wary of showing a character like Batman interacting with young people, or being a father/guardian figure, but without that, they are cutting themselves off from so much of what makes up the character of Bruce Wayne. I feel that Batman on his own, the brooding loner, will start to get stale.

That's not to say there aren't still plenty of great stories they can do that don't involve the Batfamily, but it's been almost 60 years of Batman films and the best representation they've had in that entire time is in the 66 film. The more I see any movie or show without Batman working with the rest of the family just has me losing interest.

I don't think there would need to be any huge tonal shifts from the Batman in order to introduce characters like Dick, Jason, Barbara, Cassandra, etc, nor do I think adjustments in tone would be inappropriate. I just think it's been too long that we haven't seen this crucial aspect of Batman explored much in live action films.

What are everyone's thoughts?
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

I mean, probably depends on what the creator's intentions are and how long the actor is willing to commit to playing Batman.

I expect to see a Robin soon. Who? Don't know. Dick's circus background is kind of hard to implement nowadays. Jason's would be the easiest. Tim, would need some work considering his own background. Steph is tied to Tim, so, yeah. Damian, well, you could skip the others for him, but it would feel empty if its just him and no brothers to play off of. Carrie Kelly is an Elseworld Robin, and not well known outside of comic book readers.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Zero films. We've seen far too many films without the Batfamily.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

DC doesn't allow Batman to appear except from appearing on films. The Batfamily havent had too much of their own in shows let alone making them appear in films. They are having their own video game. I think thats more enough for them in the long run.

I don't want Batfamily in movies at all.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Zero films. We've seen far too many films without the Batfamily.

I have zero interest in further solo Batman movies.
    That said, I'd hope they introduce them appropriately slowly and don't rush the Batfamily the way they rushed the League.

I'd prefer they stay out of the movies
    Batman is doing amazing without them no need to return to the terrible days of Batman and Robin

It was hard to watch The Batman until the end, the last Batman movies are so boring and limited. Having a Robin would help.

Mighty Member

I think they should start a movie with the Bat Family.

This premise could be similar to the Gotham Knights game, or Batman Bad Blood where it seems that Batman may be dead and the family has to step up. His history with them and what inspired them to put on the mask can be told through brief flashbacks.

I think it would be a mistake to introduce each member one by one, telling each of their origin story save that for their solo movies.

Incredible Member

I’d like to see Grayson in the next film. Maybe not as Robin. Make him the Courts next targeted disciple. Change the outdated parts of the back story and just make sure to stay true to core of the character. By the end of movie Bruce can take him in.

A full blown Robin in Reeves world won’t make any sense. Won’t fit with the noir detective vibe.

TBH forever, the last time they attempted Batfam in Batman movies, it bombed significantly, and DC lost a ton of money from failed merch and marketing. Batman literally didn't have another movie until The Dark Knight. I think WB/DC are content and happy with the success of solo Batman. The batfamily concept isn't as popular in the mainstream. I think youre better making batman adjacent movies that are also solo and then cross over once or twice. Like do a Nightwing movie and then cross that over with Batman. Proper Batfam wont translate well into the movies.
    Last edited by MakeNightwingGreatAgain; 08-01-2022 at 06:31 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

About 5 films ago

Like the only reason they hit the reset button was because Schumacher or whoever it was wanted to make a toy movie with Batman and Robin. Bringing Batman 66 to a time when people didn't want it.

Batman Forever was pretty well received (well maybe not Two-Face) so people are okay with expansion
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-02-2022 at 05:25 AM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Well said! (The fact that it agrees with my point is definitely a plus. )
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

This will probably get me booed off the message board but the only way to do a real Bat-Family movie (i.e.e more than Bruce, Dick and Barb) is to follow the Avengers model of setting it up over time, introducing the characters separately, and having them come together for one big villain.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!