Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would you like to see The Mandarin return?

He's one of my favorite villains in Marvel and I'm a little sad that he got killed by the Punisher not sure if he's returned but I think a good way of bringing him back would be if maybe he was restored to life by his rings but revived a changed man and went on a path similar to his MCU counterpart. Like he finds love and lives happily for a time then loses his wife and grief drives him back to evil. I also like the idea of him having Gene Kahn for a son and for the dynamic to be him not wanting Gene to be part of his criminal activities or for Gene to be ignorant until something major happens and Gene ends up wanting to be like his dad or to please him and earn his respect. I could also see him taking over the 10 rings in the comics and running it in a more terrorist style way plotting attacks on western countries and such.

He was killed by the Punisher?!

That is Batman level bullsh** without the built in Batman level excuses.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post

Surprised it took you this long to find out. But yeah, it all happened during the start of...

World War: Frank
    (Punisher, Vol.12 #1)

Last edited by K7P5V; 08-02-2022 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Yeah!
    Sigh. That is just...ugh.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I would very much like to see him return. His death in Punisher was stupid. The Mandarin is a chi-channeling martial artist with insane speed. He's dodged multiple bullets at close range before. The idea that he would just stand there while a bullet slowly reached him is ridiculous. The writer clearly didn't know or care what powers the Mandarin has. So he pulled some nonexistent force-field out of nowhere just so he could have it countered by a magic bullet, and completely ignored Mandarin's speed and martial arts skill.

My headcanon is that that simply wasn't The Mandarin. He had a power the Mandarin doesn't have, and doesn't have powers the Mandarin DOES have, so he simply wasn't The Mandarin.

Why not? It's not like anyone has replaced him as Iron Man's Archenemy.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

lmao, my gods.

I wonder if Stark ever talked to Castle about this.

Stark: uh did you shoot my biggest foe?
    Castle: yup
    Stark: why didn't I think of that!?

yes I would love to see him back I though Fraction wrote him so well and he was very scary especially the short story where he kidnapped that director (mimicking the true story of the N.Korean dictator doing the same thing)

Plenty of people have thought of just shooting Mandarin before. It didn't work. He's too alert, too fast, too skilled.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Keep an eye out on the current arc running in Cantwell’s Iron Man. It looks like we might be getting a new Mandarin/return of the original.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

My exact thoughts when I read about it. I was like "That is just stupid!" Also it's another reason why I'd like to see The Mandarin return and say to Frank "Be careful how you speak to me young man." Then Frank gets cocky only to end up having his rear kicked by The Mandarin and for him lose an eye or some other apendage as punishment for his disrespectful attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    He's one of my favorite villains in Marvel and I'm a little sad that he got killed by the Punisher not sure if he's returned but I think a good way of bringing him back would be if maybe he was restored to life by his rings but revived a changed man and went on a path similar to his MCU counterpart. Like he finds love and lives happily for a time then loses his wife and grief drives him back to evil. I also like the idea of him having Gene Kahn for a son and for the dynamic to be him not wanting Gene to be part of his criminal activities or for Gene to be ignorant until something major happens and Gene ends up wanting to be like his dad or to please him and earn his respect. I could also see him taking over the 10 rings in the comics and running it in a more terrorist style way plotting attacks on western countries and such.
    OMG! Glad someone mentioned Gene Khan, since I always believed he had potential...

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Yes, please.

To be fair, the Punisher story never explained how Mandarin even survived his death from Fration's Iron Man run so I just tell people he died in that book.
    "Cable was right!"

I don't buy that Punisher would beat Tem Borjigin even without the rings, nevermind with them. He'd just dodge the bullets and literally karate-chop Punisher's entire body in half.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Surprised it took you this long to find out. But yeah, it all happened during the start of...

World War: Frank
    (Punisher, Vol.12 #1)

Why is there a random panel of Black Widow taking a bath!?!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Why is there a random panel of Black Widow taking a bath!?!
    I think she was Castle's partner in this run? Or his handler?

(Also fanservice).