Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Changing sexualities of the modern X-Men

I guess I shouldn’t title it changing sexualities as much as “outing sexualities in the modern day X-men” if looking at it from an in universe perspective.
    Obviously I’m talking about characters that now fit in to LGBTQ +.

Like Karma, Iceman, Shatterstar, Kate Pryde, Loa, etc.

I wanted to bring it up for discussion because of the relationship upgrade of Betsy Braddock and Rachel Summers now. It looks like it’s been planned from the writers since Krakoa era started, but also from the writers researching prior interactions during Claremont’s second era on the books.

Any ideas or hints who you can see being outed next?

Astonishing Member

Liu wanted laura and jubliee as a couple. Really hoping Williams follows threw on thay

There definitely was something between Armor and Mercury in Pixie Strikes Back. I'd love to see a follow up to that.

Incredible Member

The X-Office is very biphobic, Iceman should have been bisexual, Rictor was bisexual until they make him 100% gay, same with Destiny, they will do it with Raechel aswell.

I also dont like that they feature gay characters like Anole, Darkvail and Graymalking only in the pide issues to show how progressive they are, but as soon as june is over they forget about those characters.

Meanwhile most books are still lead by straight white anglosaxon people, with the token minority.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    There definitely was something between Armor and Mercury in Pixie Strikes Back. I'd love to see a follow up to that.
    Please don't, aren't Bling! and Loa enogh for Mercury? Plus Armor is just to bland and boring for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    Please don't, aren't Bling! and Loa enogh for Mercury? Plus Armor is just to bland and boring for her.
    There can never be enough! I support polyamorous Mercury. And speaking of biphobia, I'd like to see her reconnect with Wither, too.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Betsy hooking up with Rachel is weird- not about them being bi (well, as pointed out, considering the X-office background, they'll likely be made lesbians, because you can only be bi if you're evil and/or is someone that sleeps around a lot, like Mystique and Daken), but the fact that at this point there's probably more members of the Summers clan she hooked up or tried to than not.

Gambit has had some flirtatious dialogue with men before, hasn’t he?

I don’t think Scott and Logan are outed per se, but there are still very heavy implications near the beginning of the Krakoan era. I wonder if this was just a Hickman choice, because no other writer has touched on this dynamic beyond a very, very small cameo in a pride issue with Scott, Logan, and Jean in the background.

Mister Sinister is very flamboyant. I am very cautious about labeling based on stereotyping, but based on the purely scientific mindset of Sinister, I don’t see him as having issues with sexualities. I don’t think he would care either in particular, which would also technically fall under lgbtq+ guidelines.

I have to wonder if Warlock might fall somewhere on the spectrum of lgbtq+ because he has been very, very clingy to Cypher in recent times after the wedding. It’s very awkward to try to interpret because friendship and romance lines are really blurry in real life. Friends flirt to joke and romantic partners can be less affectionate than friends at times and still be completely fine because it is what works for them.

It’s wishful thinking, but I am pretty certain multiple people (not me) have been interested in the Magneto/Xavier dynamic. I picture them as friends still, but it’s been vocalized and shipped before. (Especially in the movies)

Quote Originally Posted by PyroFN View Post
    Yeah, at least a couple - I know of Courier from his old mini, Brother Vodoo from the Layman series (I think?), and Kyle from the AXM annual. Gambit being Gambit, I'm sure there must be others. XD

I can see Maddie leading Alex and Ben into a hot threesome
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Incredible Member

Same with Longshot, wahtever happend with him?

It's pretty stupid. There are plenty of legit non-straight characters who deserve their time in the spotlight, and shouldn't be written in cartoonish fashion, but instead we have to have long straight characters changed because people don't understand friendship and combine what Claremont has said in some in modern interviews (which is akin to what JK Rowling was doing), the inside joke that he wrote all of his woman that way because of fantasies, and modern writers indulging the the slash fan demands. And sometimes this has happened to non-straight characters themselves. Shatterstar's asexuality wasn't good enough back in the 00s. But at least PAD knew how to tell stories. Far too many of the current writers have no talent and resort to orientation changes because that's all they know how to do and they know it guarantees headlines.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Yeah, at least a couple - I know of Courier from his old mini, Brother Vodoo from the Layman series (I think?), and Kyle from the AXM annual. Gambit being Gambit, I'm sure there must be others. XD
    Yes to all of those. He also had a flirtatious encounter with Daken in the DARK WOLVERINE series.

James Asmus has specified said that he considered Gambit bisexual when he wrote his solo book, and had originally planned to address it directly in-story but the first scenario he proposed was shot down and he didn't pursue it again. Fabian Nicieza also mentioned once on Twitter "I don't think I was very subtle about Gambit being bisexual when I wrote his solo book".

At this point Gambit seems to fall into the category of one of those X-characters who is generally accepted by the writers and readers as being bi...but no one has actually come out and made it official on-panel as of yet.

comics are f!cking doomed :/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    The X-Office is very biphobic, Iceman should have been bisexual, Rictor was bisexual until they make him 100% gay, same with Destiny, they will do it with Raechel aswell.

I also dont like that they feature gay characters like Anole, Darkvail and Graymalking only in the pide issues to show how progressive they are, but as soon as june is over they forget about those characters.

Meanwhile most books are still lead by straight white anglosaxon people, with the token minority.
    THIS.....

Far too many of the current writers have no talent and resort to orientation changes because that's all they know how to do and they know it guarantees headlines.
    Easy to claim that when folks don't read the books and want to complain.

The writers have talent and NOT looking to generate headlines.

It's NOT their fault Marvel FAILED to develop and be consistent with the established LGBTAQ+ characters.

What has Prodigy done since coming out out? He was a leader of a team for near 5 years before that and he has done WHAT other than get chumped by Antman, a plot device in Young Avengers and less said about X-Factor the better.