Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

We just started rewatching The Rockford Files after getting the boxset a few months ago and I have put in a vote for Jim Rockford. Him and Monk maybe the most rewatchable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    Oh, the lovely Murdoch Mysteries with the ultra handsome Yannick Bisson as William Murdoch.
    ^^^I discovered this show by complete accident back around 2015 and was hooked.
    And yes, Yannick Bisson is easy on the eyes!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by mortari View Post
    We just started rewatching The Rockford Files after getting the boxset a few months ago and I have put in a vote for Jim Rockford. Him and Monk maybe the most rewatchable for me.
    I liked Rockford, and he's certainly among the more entertaining to watch. I don't know that he had the analytical mind of a Columbo, or Fletcher, but he had a real talent for ferreting out facts that undermined coverups. Of course, he usually wasn't dealing with criminal masterminds, but hammer-headed goons who relied more on intimidating questions away.

As an aside, James Garner was one of my favorite actors of his era. I've wondered what his career might have been if his contemporaries Paul Newman or Steve McQueen hadn't taken up acting.

World's Greatest Detective, right here:

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    As an aside, James Garner was one of my favorite actors of his era. I've wondered what his career might have been if his contemporaries Paul Newman or Steve McQueen hadn't taken up acting.
    Jim Garner one of my Dad's favourite actors (and mine). Even though he wasn't a huge movie star, he had a respectable run of movies throughout most of his career.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Jim Garner one of my Dad's favourite actors (and mine). Even though he wasn't a huge movie star, he had a respectable run of movies throughout most of his career.
    He did. Still, I can't watch The Great Escape without thinking how seamlessly he could have slipped into the Hilts role.

Agree with detective conan. He has outsmarted some crazy things and solves some crazy murders even outsmarting huge crime heads and even getting called the most scarcest and dangerous person by zero who can be a scary guy himself and even set up a main FBIs fake death as a backup in case plan a failed having the fbi say "scary he planned even this" and had everything he needed complete with the person who "shot" him working for him to fool the bad guys and set up major players in the train ark fooling even one of the deadliest and smartest assassins in the world. He was one step ahead of them all in that story.

Conan does not mess around when he wants to!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes
    Columbo
    John Steed and Emma Peel
    The Winchester brothers
    Thomas Magnum O.G.
    Inspector Gadget
    Straight talk?

John Winchester is way, way up there on the "All-Time Great..." list of unsung television detectives.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Detectives in anime:

Sherlock Holmes (Moriarty the Patriot)
    Conan Edogawa (Detective Conan)
    L Lawliet (Death Note)
    Victorique de Blois (Gosick)
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Boisterously Confused

I'm kind of thinking this question needs a distinction between detectives that use their heads to solve puzzles (e.g. Laura Holt) and those that use their heads as battering rams (e.g. Mannix).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    World's Greatest Detective, right here:
    I concur, along with the '90s version

No love for Horatio Caine?

I'll see myself out.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    No love for Horatio Caine?

I'll see myself out.
    I would go with Grissom though.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I would go with Grissom though.
    I saw Grissom as more of a scientist than a detective, but yeah, I’d take him over Mr. Shades any day.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

One thing about Columbo is that he almost always knows immediately who did it, so his detecting is less about discovery than how to prove what he knows. That seems different than most TV detectives who are trying to find clues to solve a puzzle.