Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Regent View Post
    If by "written properly" you mean without pis? Legion would erase him... Ora would erase him. My point is in spite of the obvious plot protections Arrako was not disrespected like many of us expected.
    Well, good for you and all others who had this worry and have that not be the case. Me i am neutral when it comes to them TBH with you that is all.

As for written properly, i simply meant that in this case of this issue i felt Ewing did a good job here...but he is not the only one involved in this event is he? So can it really be said that the other writers and artists involved will show them (if they decide to even use them to begin with) in a way that does not have that disrespect you speak of happen? Just because it did not happen here, does not mean they will not be subjected to it on any of the other books involved in this event so really that should be something that should be considered the next time we see the Arrako mutants and their allies appear again outside of X-men Red.

I don't want that to happen overall because i do not want to go over another AvX disaster that went out of its way to make every character look bad, but my expectations for such a thing are not exactly high to begin with so that is coloring my views in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Well, good for you and all others who had this worry and have that not be the case. Me i am neutral when it comes to them TBH with you that is all.

As for written properly, i simply meant that in this case of this issue i felt Ewing did a good job here...but he is not the only one involved in this event is he? So can it really be said that the other writers and artists involved will show them (if they decide to even use them to begin with) in a way that does not have that disrespect you speak of happen? Just because it did not happen here, does not mean they will not be subjected to it on any of the other books involved in this event so really that should be something that should be considered the next time we see the Arrako mutants and their allies appear again outside of X-men Red.

I don't want that to happen overall because i do not want to go over another AvX disaster that went out of its way to make every character look bad, but my expectations for such a thing are not exactly high to begin with so that is coloring my views in a way.
    It's my sincerest prayer that they continue to leave Arrako in Ewings hands for this event. The small cameo Arrako had in Judgment day 1, Magneto was acting completely out of character and Storm's dialog was... just reacting to Magneto. I hear you though and can respect your pov.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Maybe he is arrogant (which he is) or maybe he is trying to force Druig hands, do just enough destruction to let Druig believe he is willing to work with him but don't complete the job that will force Druig to reconsider and release him again.

Remember, Druig betrayed Uranos, for all his cold detachment I wouldn't be surprised if he would not enjoy playing a part in Druig's downfall.
    That seems very appropriate, for Uranos to have deliberately held back, but made it *look* really impressive and effective, so that Druig would essentially *have* to let him out of the box again. And it would be completely on-theme for him to betray Druig in some attempt to garner more permanent freedom, so that he can roll up his sleeves and get back to his self-imposed task of killing *everyone*, not just people Druig wants killed...

If by "written properly" you mean without pis? Legion would erase him... Ora would erase him. My point is in spite of the obvious plot protections Arrako was not disrespected like many of us expected.
    For legion I agree(but depend..like most OP characters in fiction the power level goes up and down) for Ora nope...I do not understand how she work, why she work albeit considering that recently in Marvel Comics there had been a running theme about faith, beliefs gods and stories so she could play interesting role in future...wonder if she and Ajak could have a discussion since the distraught zealot Eternal decided that "Gods disappointed us? Then we will make our own!" An disease that if played well could lead to interesting stories not just for the Eternals....

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    That seems very appropriate, for Uranos to have deliberately held back, but made it *look* really impressive and effective, so that Druig would essentially *have* to let him out of the box again. And it would be completely on-theme for him to betray Druig in some attempt to garner more permanent freedom, so that he can roll up his sleeves and get back to his self-imposed task of killing *everyone*, not just people Druig wants killed...
    Indeed, is a possibility, as well as Big U being kind of complacent of himself<what I said about Arraki warriors being green when come to battle experience, and I still stand by that belief albeit proved to be more adaptable to new situations, can be true for Uranos too, he was In jail for looooong time, he is probably rusty...even given the sort of person he is would never admit even to himself. >

It's my sincerest prayer that they continue to leave Arrako in Ewings hands for this event. The small cameo Arrako had in Judgment day 1, Magneto was acting completely out of character and Storm's dialog was... just reacting to Magneto. I hear you though and can respect your pov.
    Wha ti like of Ewing is tha ti's really good at showing the power of a menace or of the hero without diminishing the opponent.

Great issue

Astonishing Member

Arguably Uranos and the other Eternals attacking mutants not double-tapping is a demonstration of just how blatantly they are in violation of their duties. If the mutants actually constituted excess deviation the Eternals would be compelled into ‘correction’ mode and wouldn’t stop (no matter how many times they need die themselves) until their systems no longer detected the deviation

Edit:
    I’m somewhat concerned that with Idyll and Isca out, replacing them with more Krakoans is going to give Brand the same ‘villain has a point’ credence that half of Otherworld having mutant regents gave to Merlyn
    Last edited by king of hybrids; 08-04-2022 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    Arguably Uranos and the other Eternals attacking mutants not double-tapping is a demonstration of just how blatantly they are in violation of their duties. If the mutants actually constituted excess deviation the Eternals would be compelled into ‘correction’ mode and wouldn’t stop (no matter how many times they need die themselves) until their systems no longer detected the deviation

Edit:
    I’m somewhat concerned that with Idyll and Isca out, replacing them with more Krakoans is going to give Brand the same ‘villain has a point’ credence that half of Otherworld having mutant regents gave to Merlyn
    Idyll already replaced the previous Idyll, who had identical powers, so I'm sure we'll just get another Idyll.

Also, they didn't show it, but I bet Isca reverted to Arakko the instant Uranos buggered off.

That was so bad. Magneto spoke in Brand's voice, messing with Storm about the royalty thing. In X-men Red Magneto and Storm are a team, trust each other implicitly and Storm is leading. Ewing writes them both much better.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    Um...did I miss something. Is Magento's heart somewhere other than the center of his chest? Or does he have some secondary mutation that allows him to survive it being punched through his spine?

EDIT: I really liked the issue until the end when they pull a 'Psyche! All that Strum und Drang signifieth nothing because really only killed a bunch of nobodies and Cable who already came back on panel'. I'm saying actually kill Magneto off, but I would've rather seen real deaths like Magneto's that then tie in to resurrection protocols to bring him back instead of a cheap fakeout that Uranos destroyed 98% of life except the 2% that actually matter to the story. I just don't think that is believable or effective. IMO
    I feel they are going to go the route of Xmen The End where Magneto became a being of pure magnetic energy. Also Magneto's death doesn't tie into the resurrection protocols anymore since he destroyed his backup and tells the great ring that he is no longer able to be resurrected.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1440 View Post
    I feel they are going to go the route of Xmen The End where Magneto became a being of pure magnetic energy. Also Magneto's death doesn't tie into the resurrection protocols anymore since he destroyed his backup and tells the great ring that he is no longer able to be resurrected.
    The first part is an interesting idea.

The second part is exactly my issue with the story line, where it seems like they pulled this duex ex machine for no other reason than they wrote themselves into a corner with 'well, we can't ressurect magneto, so lets find the cheapest and easiest way to spare him'.

I am glad they didn't kill of Magento. I'm certainly not arguing to remove him from the stories. But I disagree that the writers 'respected' Arrako or treated the mutants their right as literary characters. It is not a binary choice of they are all wiped out by Uranos or not. To me, respecting Arrako would've given those OLMs agency and control of their fates. But there is a difference between respecting the 'good guys' and disrespecting the 'bad guys', which happens far too much in comics. I'm watching the Eternals be written so careless and stupid that I wonder why have an event at all if there is no danger to mutants (in-story) in the first place? Why aren't the mutants just laughing this off as another day at the office where a bunch of people who don't count got killed by some group that hates mutants? What makes this story new and exciting if the Eternals are no more of a real threat than the Girl Scouts?

I'm annoyed because I wanted to see the Arrakos do so much more, even if they lost. The ones who survived didn't escape Uranos because they are awesome, compelling characters used in smart, new, exciting to read ways. They just stood there and threw **** at the unkillible moster, who was given plot induced stupidity so the story doesn't end right there. I love comics and I love the mutants, but I want to see the heroes win rather than the bad guys just lose.
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Spectacular Member

I have just caught up on the last two issues, and man Ewing is amazing at this writing thing - I can't believe someone's taking the hatchet job they did to poor Rockslide and actually making something good out of it. Uranos was a BEAST! I would have liked to see more of the fight with Legion, but I guess maybe that's happening in his title?

I will be very interested to see where Isca goes from here...Kurt removing her from the field of battle was actually a really smart move and for the first time in ages this actually felt like the character that he grew into in Excalibur - don't take her on in combat, just get her out of there.

Even Rich and T'Challa popping up didn't seem forced, they fit the mold of all the human support cast that Claremont used to use....T'Challa for obvious reasons, but Nova was giving me the same vibe as when Carol used to be hanging around back in the 80s

This is by far the best an X-Men book has been in forever!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    The first part is an interesting idea.

The second part is exactly my issue with the story line, where it seems like they pulled this duex ex machine for no other reason than they wrote themselves into a corner with 'well, we can't ressurect magneto, so lets find the cheapest and easiest way to spare him'.

I am glad they didn't kill of Magento. I'm certainly not arguing to remove him from the stories. But I disagree that the writers 'respected' Arrako or treated the mutants their right as literary characters. It is not a binary choice of they are all wiped out by Uranos or not. To me, respecting Arrako would've given those OLMs agency and control of their fates. But there is a difference between respecting the 'good guys' and disrespecting the 'bad guys', which happens far too much in comics. I'm watching the Eternals be written so careless and stupid that I wonder why have an event at all if there is no danger to mutants (in-story) in the first place? Why aren't the mutants just laughing this off as another day at the office where a bunch of people who don't count got killed by some group that hates mutants? What makes this story new and exciting if the Eternals are no more of a real threat than the Girl Scouts?

I'm annoyed because I wanted to see the Arrakos do so much more, even if they lost. The ones who survived didn't escape Uranos because they are awesome, compelling characters used in smart, new, exciting to read ways. They just stood there and threw **** at the unkillible moster, who was given plot induced stupidity so the story doesn't end right there. I love comics and I love the mutants, but I want to see the heroes win rather than the bad guys just lose.
    Well he can be still resurrected because of the Waiting Room.

However, I think the scene point was to show that Magento taking himself out of the resurrection protocol mean that he will fight harder to stay alive, thereby pushing the capabilities of his powers to its limit.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    You ever see that guy that "Always..." wanted to fight Dalton in Roadhouse?

Dalton says "Sure. Outside..."

Once they get outside, the clubs bouncers step in front of the guy and there is never a fight because Dalton just walks back into the club.

I got the feeling that David essentially attempted to pull that.

Just try to get him to somewhere that you hope he cannot get back from, and hope for the best. Under the guise of giving the guy a slobber knocker.
    Well said, I too think something along those lines is what happened. He wanted to remove him from the scene even if for just a moment, and it did give Lactuca and Sobunar time to leave and work to protect the planet.

I find it interesting that before the issue dropped people were fearful that Arakko would be destroyed and it's warriors proven overhyped, useless fodder and basically Arrako would be treated like trash.

Instead we got Arakko's brother hood successfully holding off Uranos forces, Nova successfully holding off the "armories of Uranos", Cable causing Uranos to bleed, Lactuca fine self successfully closing dimensional breaches, hell even the artists were putting up a fight... the Arrakii regulators were putting in work.

Only 2 people of importance were killed and one of them was by Isca, the other wasn't even of Arrako. Uranos only destroyed 50 miles. I'd call that an EPIC fail on Uranos part and an respectable performance on Arrako's part. If anyone other than Al Ewing had written this Arakko would have been slaughtered... just saying it could have been far worse.
    All of this with a big beautiful bow on top.

And to the idea that things would have been a lot worse had Uranos had more than an hour, perhaps. But the element of surprise would have faded and the Arakkii/Krakoans/Nova/Alien Merchants would have regrouped and rallied back.

One thing that just hit me - I guess they haven't resurrected Vulcan yet because he's nowhere to be found.
    Last edited by JB; 08-04-2022 at 06:53 AM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!