Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Immortal X-Men 5 - SPOILERS

As preview thread notes - this issue is a recap of Exodus origin and history that integrates him into the Krakoan era, while also telling the story of the AXE: psychic attack on Krakoa.

No surprises
    = = =
    - Exodus is very much a product of his origin. He was a Knight Templar prone to cultish worship of whatever idol comes into his life.

Insightful
    = = =
    - Exodus applies too much meaning to just about everything he encounters: whatever happens, it's all connected because it all must make sense.
    - Like anyone who's ever escaped a cult, he's still prone to cults. Like a child, he idealizes the people around him then has extreme reaction when they fail to live up to their idol status.
    - Exodus is prone to grandiose self-delusion, probably because his power is like Gladiator: the more confident he is, the more powerful he becomes.
    - Anywho, he loved Black Knight - so of course, Sersi is a "witch." Yikes.

Funny moments
    = = =
    - Hope:"Are You Sure, Logan?" As he stands in front of her w/three knives in his chest that were intended for her.
    - Emma: "Oh, Hope. Sometimes you really can tell you spent crucial years of schooling wandering a radioactive wasteland drinking unclaimed urine."

Plot-wise
    = = = =
    - The use of "flashbacks as metaphor for the Eternals psychic attack" was hard to follow.

Verdict
    = = =
    For a series focused on digging into characters, this issue revealed Exodus as the least charismatic member of the council. All in all, a decent issue that maybe strained under the weight of needing to do too much. Or maybe I just hoped Exodus would finally make sense and be somewhat appealing.
    Last edited by HomoSuperior; 08-03-2022 at 09:48 AM.

Incredible Member

Absolutely beautiful issue, I love Exodus so much. Hope, Emma and Exodus should rule together the other members of the QQ are more of a liability. especially the ruler of Sol, wherever she is.

The flashbacks threw me off a bit in their placement. I would have liked to see more of the battle with the Uni-mind Eternals and have him narrate through that, especially because they took the time to give him a Hope sword and Emma shield. Seeing them retreat would have been quite satisfying. But it was nice witnessing Exodus smile a few times and the last page was beautiful.

Last edited by JB; 08-03-2022 at 10:01 AM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Was very disappointed. Was hoping to see Exodus cut loose and display a wonderful TP battle, but I guess not. Oh well….

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

- Hope:"Are You Sure, Logan?" As he stands in front of her w/three knives in his chest that were intended for her.

Yupp. Funny moment indeed. Clearly Gillen got his story notes got mixed up somehow.

This was boring AF and I don't even have the love and interest for Exodus and Hope (as I do for Emma, last issue) to make it any less boring.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Incredible Member

Wow am I really the only one who liked this issue? Exodus's jorney from being a crusader, his religious devotion, the call back to decimation, his previous fight with Cersei, the growing friendship betwen Hope and him. I will take this religious zealot over Nightcrawler's Spark everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    Wow am I really the only one who liked this issue? Exodus's jorney from being a crusader, his religious devotion, the call back to decimation, his previous fight with Cersei, the growing friendship betwen Hope and him. I will take this religious zealot over Nightcrawler's Spark everyday.
    I liked it a lot too. I never had anything to say about Exodus, but I liked his narrative, although on the first quick read I got lost

Would have loved a flashback to the Genosha battle

B18F1545-2179-4B34-80F8-3CB29E17FA1D.jpg

Incredible Member

It was also confirmed that Exodus was gay for his BlackKnight friend, what's not to like?

really felt the data page of the psychic engagement plan was unnecessary...I would have much preferred if they used that page to show more of what could have been a very visually appealing fight
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Mighty Member

There was no gravitas to this book. Both AXE 1 and Red did an excellent job of showing the scale and sacrifice of the mutants. This book has none of that. Not only was it boring but it really didn't move the story along and I get it, it was a setup issue for later story but this just wasn't big enough to contain the scope that Gillen laid out in AXE 1.

Incredible Member

Every other issue of Immortal X-Men has shown an insight into the mind of each member of th QQ, why would this issue be any different? there are still 25+ issues of this event left for pew pew battles and stuff.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Yes. It was quite silly of us to think that it would be centred in and around the actual Uni-Mind attack it was referencing which was also written by Gillen. Instead we got a dep-dive character history lesson and the actual attack was handwaved away.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 08-03-2022 at 10:33 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I wonder what Gillen would've done for Exodus without the AXE Body Spray crap.
    "Cable was right!"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    Every other issue of Immortal X-Men has shown an insight into the mind of each member of th QQ, why would this issue be any different? there are still 25+ issues of this event left for pew pew battles and stuff.
    It's not just the pew pew fight stuff. It's the tone. Where is the sense of rage from these characters? Where are the non wooden responses?