Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Yes. It was quite silly of us to think that it would be centred in and around the actual Uni-Mind attack it was referencing which was also written by Gillen. Instead we got a dep-dive character history lesson and the actual attack was handwaved away.
    Gillen did say the fight was supposed to happen in this issue and it did in the most lackluster way.

Astonishing Member

I disagree, I really liked the issue.

Now I wonder what the Shaw issue will be like, since it seems every character is getting his own issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    Wow am I really the only one who liked this issue? Exodus's jorney from being a crusader, his religious devotion, the call back to decimation, his previous fight with Cersei, the growing friendship betwen Hope and him. I will take this religious zealot over Nightcrawler's Spark everyday.
    I didn't totally dislike it, just hoping for a bit more flexing from Paris during the Uni-Mind fight but I think he's a fascinating character. I loved the callback moments with Black Knight the most and the "love" revelation. I hope we get to see him up against those Hex more.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OG Storm View Post
    It's not just the pew pew fight stuff. It's the tone. Where is the sense of rage from these characters? Where are the non wooden responses?
    Exactatiously.

They're told that Krakoa is under attack, they are psychically attacked and they just banter as if attending afternoon tea and exchanging tedious gossip. Even Exodus was just droning his history. And thank the Goddess it was all internal because...in fact, that was how they defeated the Uni-mind...by boring it to the point where it had to retreat.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    Every other issue of Immortal X-Men has shown an insight into the mind of each member of th QQ, why would this issue be any different? there are still 25+ issues of this event left for pew pew battles and stuff.
    This is just me, but i thought it would be different because he is also writing an event and everyone else had to change their material to fit the overall dynamic of the story but this didn't do that at all. calling this an axe tie in is truly stretching things. it was like 3 pages were added and thats that. lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I loved the telepathic attack page! I'd never seen Emma as a character that would be a shield type even with her diamond form. It'd be more like her to use a nail to gouge your eyes out but anyway...

It was cool to see the telepathic strike force in action. My only question is why did Emma explicitly state for Hope to mimic Exodus instead of just saying mimic hers or Xavier's telepathic power. It's not like Rogue where she's leaching off the victim so wouldn't it have been more useful to copy Xavier's power?
    This is not our house. Know that and know peace!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

Exactatiously.

They're told that Krakoa is under attack, they are psychically attacked and they just banter as if attending afternoon tea and exchanging tedious gossip. Even Exodus was just droning his history. And thank the Goddess it was all internal because...in fact, that was how they defeated the Uni-mind...by boring it to the point where it had to retreat.
    Hahahaha! That's good.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Mighty Member

Exactatiously.

This was the country club part of the war.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HomoSuperior View Post
    As preview thread notes - this issue is a recap of Exodus origin and history that integrates him into the Krakoan era, while also telling the story of the AXE: psychic attack on Krakoa.

No surprises
    = = =
    - Exodus is very much a product of his origin. He was a Knight Templar prone to cultish worship of whatever idol comes into his life.

Insightful
    = = =
    - Exodus applies too much meaning to just about everything he encounters: whatever happens, it's all connected because it all must make sense.
    - Like anyone who's ever escaped a cult, he's still prone to cults. Like a child, he idealizes the people around him then has extreme reaction when they fail to live up to their idol status.
    - Exodus is prone to grandiose self-delusion, probably because his power is like Gladiator: the more confident he is, the more powerful he becomes.
    - Anywho, he loved Black Knight - so of course, Sersi is a "witch." Yikes.

Funny moments
    = = =
    - Hope:"Are You Sure, Logan?" As he stands in front of her w/three knives in his chest that were intended for her.
    - Emma: "Oh, Hope. Sometimes you really can tell you spent crucial years of schooling wandering a radioactive wasteland drinking unclaimed urine."

Plot-wise
    = = = =
    - The use of "flashbacks as metaphor for the Eternals psychic attack" was hard to follow.

Verdict
    = = =
    For a series focused on digging into characters, this issue revealed Exodus as the least charismatic member of the council. All in all, a decent issue that maybe strained under the weight of needing to do too much. Or maybe I just hoped Exodus would finally make sense and be somewhat appealing.
    It was a very different issue from Red — which was incredible — but I adored it as a companion piece. Exodus to me has always been an amazing visual and a cool backstory that somehow did not equal compelling character. Now he fascinates me. Let’s hear it for the Knight! Catholic those bastards to oblivion LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    This is just me, but i thought it would be different because he is also writing an event and everyone else had to change their material to fit the overall dynamic of the story but this didn't do that at all. calling this an axe tie in is truly stretching things. it was like 3 pages were added and thats that. lol
    Yeah… even though it’s not ideal I get why it’s like this. Gillen is going to put everything into his event issues, because if Immortal is firing on the same cylinders/ pushing things forward it means that folks now have to buy these tie-ins and it calls into question why this has to be a big event anyway if he could do the same things in his ongoing.

This was ok. I feel like if you already read the Exodus Black Knight one shot from back in the day, this just wouldn't be satisfying cause there are only a few new snippets given here. So this was largely regurgitated material that we've already seen. Well for a few of us anyway. That one shot was quite obscure so this might be new to a lot of people, but not me.

The psychic battle was trite and I still don't like this infantilzation of Exodus, but it is what it is. This title started with a bang but it is definitely faltering now. I hope it improves.
    Last edited by Saturius; 08-03-2022 at 12:08 PM.

This was soooo good!!!!! Loved it!

I’m also a prophet. Been right about 95% of the time for years

https://twitter.com/richieterrones/s...k1Ot1UTt2jVUOA

I absolutely loved this issue. Someone above referred to it as "very different" in tone and "a companion piece" to X-Men Red, which I also loved, and I completely agree on both counts. Both issues are deceptively simple and straightforward but pack a wealth of information about their respective characters while underscoring Judgment Day's main threats. Here, Gillen doesn't so much depict Exodus as beholden to a messiah as determined to find and have one. Also, his revelation of Exodus' previous encounters with the Phoenix Force and Sersi indicates there is a lot more to learn about this man, which I'm sure Gillen will be exploring throughout this event and beyond. I have a feeling it will dawn on Exodus that he is both his own messiah and most faithful follower.

As for the telepathic battle, I found the revelation that the Uni-Mind was causing the Quiet Council members to get lost in their memories of their pasts eerily effective. Gillen peppers Exodus' recollections with moments of lucidity in which he is semi-aware that his immersion in the past is somehow wrong and not totally within his control. They were being psychically assaulted before they even knew it, which added a level of uncomfortable and grimy intimacy to the attack. Save for Exodus, Xavier, Hope, and Emma, it seems the rest of the Quiet Council members were either transfixed or knocked out. Lastly, the combo of Xavier on defense and Exodus, Emma, and Hope on offense made sense. Ultimately, as an issue centered on Exodus, which established new and reestablished known core aspects of his mythos, I thought it was a success and played beautifully alongside X-Men Red, like two notes in a chord.
    Last edited by Mercury; 08-03-2022 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I absolutely loved this issue. Someone above referred to it as "very different" in tone and "a companion piece" to X-Men Red, which I also loved, and I completely agree on both counts. Both issues are deceptively simple and straightforward but pack a wealth of information about their respective characters while underscoring Judgment Day's main threats. Here, Gillen doesn't so much depict Exodus as beholden to a messiah as much as determined to find and have one. Also, his revelation of Exodus' previous encounters with the Phoenix Force and Sersi indicates there is a lot more to learn about this man, which I'm sure Gillen will be exploring throughout this event and beyond. I have a feeling it will dawn on Exodus that he is both his own messiah and most faithful follower.

As for the telepathic battle, I found the revelation that the Uni-Mind was causing the Quiet Council members to get lost in their memories of their pasts eerily effective. Gillen peppers Exodus' recollections with moments of lucidity in which he is semi-aware that his immersion in the past is somehow wrong and not totally within his control. They were being psychically assaulted before they even knew it, which added a level of uncomfortable and grimy intimacy to the attack. Save for Exodus, Xavier, Hope, and Emma, it seems the rest of the Quiet Council members were either transfixed or knocked out. Lastly, the combo Xavier on defense and Exodus, Emma, and Hope on offense made sense. Ultimately, as an issue centered on Exodus, which established new and reestablished known core aspects of his mythos, I thought it was a success and played beautifully alongside X-Men Red, like two notes in a chord.
    i don't get how it's a companion. This issue never even mentions arrako and xmen red never mentions whats happening on krakoa. They aren't connected like at all this week.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I'm super Catholic. So, the religious undertones here made me a little uncomfortable. The whole "Nazarene mutant' thing doesn't sit super well with me, but when Emma asked for 'that lovely telekinetic carpenter', I was half expecting Jesus to walk up in the next panel. If that would have happened, I would have had to just drop the book lol.