Default Looking to buy a HUGE Batman collection, could someone give me some advice

I know values are all over the map but with something like this, I just have no clue and wanted an experts advice

My son's buddy has a father that collected Batman forever and is selling his collection so me and my boy may be interested.

Includes EVERY SINGLE Batman as well as Detective from early 1986 up to 2011 with the final issues before New 52 started

Also includes ALL one shots, annuals etc and also EVERY tie in issue from Nightwing, Robin, Birds, etc, all of them. Any issues that tied
    into Bat and Tec, is in there

All issues near mint, some VF/NM but all are like new becasue he bought them new, and put them right into bag and board

Ok, he is wanting $2800 and I was wondering what you thought

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Unless you take many days/weeks/months to make some crazy ass complex number-crunching spreadsheet using a bunch of price guide sources, you're gonna be taking a good bit of a gamble here. Most of those comics won't be worth much (at least not anytime soon, and consider a culture where many in younger generations are decluttering and collecting/owning less).

I think the best way to answer is to ask you to think about your expendable income and your gauging of the level of your son's interest. If you think there's a good enough chance that your son will grow some day into not caring much about Batman comics, then maybe it's not worth it.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-03-2022 at 11:07 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Nah, my son and I love Batman always have, will never stop. We LOVE physical books and comics and that will never change, ever

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Nah, my son and I love Batman always have, will never stop. We LOVE physical books and comics and that will never change, ever
    Then, buying them could possibly be worth it, if your expendable income allows it.

$2800 seems fair enough...I'm bad at math, but it seems like it's a total figure that's assigning a value to each comic that is under $10 each (because I think he'd be selling you more than 200 or 250 total comics).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-03-2022 at 11:16 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Might get them, they look so nice!

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Then, buying them could possibly be worth it, if your expendable income allows it.

$2800 seems fair enough...I'm bad at math, but it seems like it's a total figure that's assigning a value to each comic that is under $10 each (because I think he'd be selling you more than 200 or 250 total comics).

He just email me, it is Batman 400-713 and Detective 570-881 and about 200 one shots, annuals and all tie in single issues from other DC characters

He said well over 800 issue probably more
    Last edited by Matches; 08-03-2022 at 11:58 AM. Reason: add

He just email me, it is Batman 400-713 and Detective 570-881 and about 200 one shots, annuals and all tie in single issues from other DC characters

He said well over 800 issue probably more
    Then my calculator on my laptop says he's essentially charging you less than $4 for each comic. And that's very fair.

But it's still a question of expendable cash (installment payments an option?), and also, at 800 or more comics, a matter of storage space.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-03-2022 at 12:12 PM.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

It looks like that run has the original Miller Year One comics, A Death in the Family, and the first appearance of Bane. There are some gems in there you might want to take care of and that’s a big purchase so I defer to JBatmanfan05.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

If you can swing it, and it sounds like good reading to you and your son that's a pretty decent value.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I don't know the how much was comic back then, but you can average it, like for example (1.99+2.99+3.99)/3 and that's the average value you use for all them, since we're not counting or checking one by one how many issues have which value.

Then the condition, if most of them are near mint, immediately boxed, then it's fair to ask for full price (the average price per issue x total issues)

$2800 for over 800 issues means they're asking for average price of about $3.5
    If all or most of them are $2.99 and $3.99 comics, $3.5 is the approximate average. That's fair, especially considering the print rarity of some of them.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-04-2022 at 04:48 AM.

I know values are all over the map but with something like this, I just have no clue and wanted an experts advice

My son's buddy has a father that collected Batman forever and is selling his collection so me and my boy may be interested.

Includes EVERY SINGLE Batman as well as Detective from early 1986 up to 2011 with the final issues before New 52 started

Also includes ALL one shots, annuals etc and also EVERY tie in issue from Nightwing, Robin, Birds, etc, all of them. Any issues that tied
    into Bat and Tec, is in there

All issues near mint, some VF/NM but all are like new becasue he bought them new, and put them right into bag and board

Ok, he is wanting $2800 and I was wondering what you thought
    I saw yeah, it is worth it! Grab it up before someone else does. Every single Batman between 1986 and 2011!

Go for it! Enjoy the read!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!