Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Newsarama's 25 Best Female Superheroes

Here's Newsarama's list.

What's yours?
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

ctrl + F "Wonder Woman"

*Search*

Yeah, that's right.

Also, boo no Zatanna.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    ctrl + F "Wonder Woman"

*Search*

Yeah, that's right.

Also, boo no Zatanna.
    Zatanna! I've loved her since the 70s!
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

I just clicked to make sure Supergirl was ranked higher than Carol D.

The objective queens of comics - in order - are WW, Storm, and Catwoman. 2 out of 3 isn't bad, but Catwoman at #10? Come on now. And I like Harley but idk if I'd call her a superhero or even an anti-hero.

I'd also rank Batgirl and Supergirl way lower or possibly omit them entirely. Characters who aren't legacies to male heroes will always come out on top for me (though I don't count Zatanna there because she's completely overshadowed Zatara). My only exception is Jo Mullein because N.K. Jemisin is a genius and made me love Far Sector even though I'm a card-carrying GL hater.

Incredible Member

1. I'm shocked Captain Marvel was only number 9. I thought with the huge push Marvel has given her in outside media that she would at least be top 3. She is also pretty much headling her own brand at this point. That being said, I agree that Invisible Woman, Black Widow, and Storm should still outrank her. I'm kinda surprised She-Hulk outranked her, however.

2. I wish Vixen was used more by D.C., so she could be higher on the list. That being said, I'm just happy she made it. D.C. seems to have had one foot in, one foot out approach with Vixen for years that makes her at least recognizable but nowhere near mass marketable yet. I hope that will change.

3. I'm also surprised Harley Quinn isn't top 5. Granted, I'm not certain she belongs on a list of female superheroes, but if she's going to be there, I would put her above Sue Storm.

4. I was concerned the author of this article was going to be subversive and not have Wonder Woman be number 1. I'm happy I was wrong. I know people here sometimes discuss whether the movies had any impact on Wonder Woman, but before the two films, I actually do think it would have been possible for Storm to be number 1. I do think the films have cemented Wonder Woman as a modern superheroine and the premiere superheroine. I'm happy they also acknowledged her list of spin-off titles as Wonder Woman is one of the few female characters that have an entire corner of a universe under her brand that is in no way thanks to a male superhero counterpart. Maybe she's the only one?

5. I'm shocked Rocket made this list.
    Last edited by PopQuezy; 08-03-2022 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I just clicked to make sure Supergirl was ranked higher than Carol D.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    My only exception is Jo Mullein because N.K. Jemisin is a genius and made me love Far Sector even though I'm a card-carrying GL hater.

I'm shocked Rogue and Emma Frost didn't make the list, they're very popular with women. And if we count Sailor Moon as a superhero she should be at least in the top three.

Man, when will I stop seeing that David Finch cover? I hate it

I’m happy to see Diana is number 1! She should always be. I didn’t like where Jean Grey was on the list. It’s pretty sad Harley Quinn is outranking a lot of actual super hero women.

So, no one's going to comment on the fact the author has the same last name as Wonder Woman's creator?

I'd rank Jessica Jones much higher.

As much as I am a Diana fan, I'm not totally sure she should be number one. She shouldn't be a low number but I'm just not sure if number one is the best position.

Then again, I don't know who would be number one either.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I know the creator is really problematic but Jakita Wagner from Planetary would be on my list, Jenny Sparks too.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    So, no one's going to comment on the fact the author has the same last name as Wonder Woman's creator?

I'd rank Jessica Jones much higher.

As much as I am a Diana fan, I'm not totally sure she should be number one. She shouldn't be a low number but I'm just not sure if number one is the best position.

Then again, I don't know who would be number one either.
    Who would have more accolades and impact to be number 1?

Wasp is so low on the list.