Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

• the beginning (amazing fantasy #15)
    • first solo series (the amazing spider-man #1)
    • “if this be my destiny” (the amazing spider-man #31)
    • meet the sinister six (amazing spider-man annual #1)
    • “the night gwen stacy died” (the amazing spider-man #121)
    • secret wars
    • black suit saga (the amazing spider-man #252)
    • marriage to mary jane watson (amazing spider-man annual #21)
    • rise of venom (the amazing spider-man #300)
    • kraven’s last hunt (web of spider-man #31)
    • maximum carnage (spider-man unlimited #1)
    • return of the sinister six
    • torment
    • revenge of the sinister six
    • clone saga & revelations
    • spider-girl & mc2
    • new avengers 1
    • the other
    • future foundation 1
    • enter the spider-verse (the amazing spider-man #9)
    • amazing spider-man 1 (2018)

That is my take on the greatest moments, these won't be for everyone but for me they were massive moments in the spider-man world.

Astonishing Member

I think some people are mistaking this for a "best of" opinion piece. It isn't. It's a promotional piece highlighting important comics in Spider-Man history, skewed towards recent events because they want new readers to jump on board.

Amazing Spider-Man #1 isn't one of the all-time best Spider-Man comics, but it is important. The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man is one of the best, but it's not important to the series' history. For multi-part stories they've chosen Part 1 of each. Part 1 was rarely the highlight, but it is the issue you'd want to point new readers towards, then they'll read the rest of the story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I think they care what paying fans think and they seem to have enough of them for their anti-marriage policy r.e. the 616 comics. I also think that means that if they can make a buck off the marriage without breaking that policy, they're happy to (hence reprints of relevant materials, making and marketing AU stories based on it, allowing a new mini to be set in the pre-OMD incarnation of 616, etc.). You can't please everyone anyways, so the corporation's job is to do what they think is best for their products' longevity and their bottom line.

I heard that through an internet user who turned out to be a crazy hate-filled person who regularly libeled, slandered, and misrepresented anyone and everyone rather than accept that they weren't entitled to what they wanted (among other things). I don't recall much success backtracking the context of that admittedly inflammatory statement (e.g. was it "just" a colorful way to explain the brass's POV, or something else relatively innocuous?). Truth be told, I don't put much stock in Brevoort in terms of "getting" the franchise after that incident where he insisted that Spider-Man's central theme was "youth" and anyone who thought it was "power and responsibility" got it wrong. On the other hand, having seen the toxicity and abuse that certain Marvel figures have taken from fans who are still angry over OMD and feel entitled to the marriage coming back, I can't say I blame some for pushing back.

Frankly, I've come to see "best of" lists as being just the opinions of the complier, not an objective assessment (heck, if it was up to me, it would be a lot of Ultimate Spider-Man content). Maybe the writer in this case was just trying to peddle what Marvel wants to be well-liked or to sell certain stuff or drum up interest for what's coming next, but who cares if they do that in a puff piece on their website?

Course, all that's assuming that they're trying to yank reader's chains, which is quite the assumption taking the list on its own terms. Heck, I would guess it's more likely that Marvel is trying to publicize something relevant to that upcoming Kraven mini than anything else.
    Best Of Lists are fun, and actually can important if done by someone with credibility ( as opposed to fans). But when you use it to promote a current run ( such as 900) and ( or) something that obviously does not belong like Red Goblin, at the expense of stories that are on the short list of the best Spider-Man comics ever ( like Jean DeWolff and Juggernaut), you lose credibility. If you want to say Red Goblin deserves to be on the best 21st Century comics ever, I might disagree ( everyone has their own opinion), but do not put them on the same level of KravenÂ’s Last Hunt or Death Of Gwen Stacy. Why? When you use the list for an agenda, you take away the very purpose of the list and make an idiot out of yourself. As for the Marriage issue. Yanking the chain in my opinion is exactly what they are doing. They know the presence of that comic will get a reaction. Last but not least, you are always going to get lunatic fringe characters expressing opinions on any subject from Abortion to Zoos and anything in between ( Spider-Man is no different), and holding them as an example to the rest of us is unfair. For example think of the nut job who sent death threats to Dan Slott, I can safely say 99.99% of Spider-Man readers do not support that kind of behavior ( myself included)).
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 08-14-2022 at 06:02 AM.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

It’s controversial, but OMD should be on here. If not that, then Brand New Day at least.

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Torment has great art, but poor writing. It's some of the worst I've read in a Spider-Man book and is a clear example of how NOT to write a Spider-Man book.
    The art however, probably some of the best of its time and still holds up today.
    It was a slog to read that 5 issue arc, but it's become more of an art book for me.
    All good points, as a story it highlights both the strength and weakness of the McFarlane era of "writing" if you could call it that. Definitely form over substance there. But I counter with the fact that there also just aren't that many good Lizard stories, period, and this is top five easily of the bunch. McFarlane's art puts it over the top for me, plus its just a touchstone for the 1990s and a quintessentially important McFarlane moment in time.

It sold like hotcakes, too, as I recall.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 08-15-2022 at 04:32 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    All good points, as a story it highlights both the strength and weakness of the McFarlane era of "writing" if you could call it that. Definitely form over substance there. But I counter with the fact that there also just aren't that many good Lizard stories, period, and this is top five easily of the bunch. McFarlane's art puts it over the top for me, plus its just a touchstone for the 1990s and a quintessentially important McFarlane moment in time.

It sold like hotcakes, too, as I recall.
    Issue 1 is still the Biggest selling issue of Spider-man ever, 2nd behind X-men 1 overall marvel comics.

Regardless of writing, it's a huge moment in spider-man history.

Astonishing Member

Spider-Man #1 isn't something a new reader would need to know about. It wasn't an important story and the context that made it a huge seller doesn't exist anymore.