Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

As a Morlun fan, they should've added The Other.

Also what about Spider-Island. Everyone in New York gets Spider-powers.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    ENTER THE SPIDER-VERSE (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #9)
    VERSUS THE RED GOBLIN (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #797)
    AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: BEYOND (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #75)
    900 ISSUE MILESTONE (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #6)

These should be nowhere near. Spider-Verse is so overrated. Awful choices.
    This

I would also remove superior Spider-Man because it’s nothing more than a silly story like maximum carnage and actually very forgettable run outside the actual premise.

Clone saga is actually iconic for good and bad reasons and would have added it.

Spider girl 1 should be on there

New avengers 1 should be on there as he finally joined full time and FF 1.

So many greatest moments in his history and we get sloppy red goblin and rapist ock.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The BaRoN View Post
    This

I would also remove superior Spider-Man because it’s nothing more than a silly story like maximum carnage and actually very forgettable run outside the actual premise.

Clone saga is actually iconic for good and bad reasons and would have added it.

Spider girl 1 should be on there

New avengers 1 should be on there as he finally joined full time and FF 1.

So many greatest moments in his history and we get sloppy red goblin and rapist ock.
    Nah, this is cap.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Nah, this is cap.
    Baron has my vote. Superior isn't a very good story and every character was left worse off by the end of it, and led to several more years of crap stories due to the presence of Parker Industries.

The best thing achieved with the premise was Superior Team-Up, especially that Osborn and Ock story that Frenz worked on.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 08-09-2022 at 07:47 AM.

BANNED

Ock trying to have sex with MJ and then watching memories of Peter having sex with MJ or Ock having sex with Anna in Peters body?

Lovely story. Next.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Nah, this is cap.

please delete post
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

At first I thought the list was going for a "best of each era" approach but then the list hardly includes anything from the 1970s, 1990s or 2000s. I feel this is a major flaw. Arguably the 1990s are a time thats hard to find super good stories but I'd have included Torment somewhere in there, as one of the best if not the best Lizard story.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 08-12-2022 at 01:25 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    At first I thought the list was going for a "best of each era" approach but then the list hardly includes anything from the 1970s, 1990s or 2000s. I feel this is a major flaw. Arguably the 1990s are a time thats hard to find super good stories but I'd have included Torment somewhere in there, as one of the best if not the best Lizard story.
    I know, right?! Pre-Clone Saga, the '90s were Awesome! I also agree about "Torment", quite entertaining (IMHO):

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Marvel posted a list of the best Spider-Man moments as a way to celebrate his 60th anniversary.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...rom-the-comics

• THE BEGINNING (AMAZING FANTASY #15)
    • FIRST SOLO SERIES (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1)
    • “IF THIS BE MY DESTINYÂ…!” (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #31)
    • MEET THE SINISTER SIX (AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL #1)
    • “THE NIGHT GWEN STACY DIED” (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #121)
    • BLACK SUIT SAGA (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #252)
    • MARRIAGE TO MARY JANE WATSON (AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL #21)
    • RISE OF VENOM (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #300)
    • KRAVENÂ’S LAST HUNT (WEB OF SPIDER-MAN #31)
    • MAXIMUM CARNAGE (SPIDER-MAN UNLIMITED #1)
    • MEET MILES MORALES (ULTIMATE FALLOUT #4)
    • SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN (SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #1)
    • ENTER THE SPIDER-VERSE (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #9)
    • VERSUS THE RED GOBLIN (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #797)
    • SINISTER WAR (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #70)
    • AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: BEYOND (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #75)
    • 900 ISSUE MILESTONE (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #6)
    • AMAZING FANTASY #1000

As Spider-Man fans, we're likely to overthink this. On the other hand, this is a document that's going to be widely spread and it's badly done.

They don't differentiate between different versions of Amazing Spider-Man. Some of the stuff is out of order. It seems weird to have a Top 18. At the very least a Top 20 with something by Romita Sr and Stern would be a step up.

Green Goblin Unmasked, Mary Jane's first appearance, Spider-Man No More, Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut, and the debut of the Hobgoblin would all make more sense than Maximum Carnage.
    Interesting that Marvel lists the wedding but does not want them married. Major mistakes: 1: No death of Jean DeWolff. 2: No Kid Who Collected Spider-Man. 3: No 129 ( introduction of The Punisher ( should be essential for that reason). 4: No Spider-Man No More ( I think the best cover in Spider-Man history). 5 and 5a No Juggernaut ( ASM 230) or Firelord ( ASM 270). Personal favorites not listed. 1: ASM 122 ( Death of Goblin, first Modern MJ story). 2: Marvel Team-Up 1 ( Spider-Man/Human Torch ( great Sandman Christmas story). 3: Marvel Team Up Spider-Man/Red Sonja. 4: Spider-Man Blue. 5; To Have And To Hold. Disagree with: 1: 900 ( I thought Slott’s 800 was well Superior). 2: Versus The Red Goblin ( WTF is that doing here? By comparison Gibbon a better recent story). 3: Amazing 1 ( Never cared for Chameleon and I thought Amazing 33 The Final Chapter remains Peter’s greatest victory). 4: Beyond ( If the only options were OMD, Shed, Silk, The Other and Year One). 5: Maximum Carnage ( good story maybe a top 50 but not As good as Spider Island, Ends Of The Earth Life Story or RYV of 21st Century Stories ( let alone top 18)). 6: Amazing Fantasy 1000. Only time can determine if something is great and ( especially) lasting. That said, I sincerely doubt the impact of Amazing 1000 will be as lasting as the sadly neglected by Marvel Death Of Jean DeWolff.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 08-13-2022 at 11:46 AM.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Yes, the Clone Saga is a bit of an omission if you ask me..Ben Reilly/Kaine coming out of that...

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Interesting that Marvel lists the wedding but does not want them married.
    Could just be a concession to how influential it was. It arguably was a key factor in cementing MJ as "the one" for the franchise as a whole and allowed a lot of noted AU spinoffs to be made. Heck, OMD and everything since in ASM has been a reaction to it, not to mention that fans still haven't let this retcon go, despite unpopular decisions like this usually having fan backlash fade over time.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Could just be a concession to how influential it was. It arguably was a key factor in cementing MJ as "the one" for the franchise as a whole and allowed a lot of noted AU spinoffs to be made. Heck, OMD and everything since in ASM has been a reaction to it, not to mention that fans still haven't let this retcon go, despite unpopular decisions like this usually having fan backlash fade over time.
    The problems with that answer are this? 1: Does anyone think they care what fans think? Remember Brevoort’s “Take your medicine it’s good for you analogy? 2: How influential is Wells stuff like Beyond and ASM 900? Not to mention Red Goblin and Maximum Carnage which made the list over Jean DeWolff, Juggernaut, Kid Who Collected Spider-Man and others that are considered classics? As for Peter and MJ, If Marvel does not want Peter and MJ together, that is their right ( they are rights holders), but don’t throw the marriage issue in there if you do not want them married? This is Marvel playing yet another game with readers. I do not respect or take seriously this list because of what is on it and what is not.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I know, right?! Pre-Clone Saga, the '90s were Awesome! I also agree about "Torment", quite entertaining (IMHO):

Torment had beautiful art (some of the best Spidey had ever had up to that point). But the writing… was not good. Both plotting and the scripting/dialogue… both came off as amateurish compared to the writing in ASM at the time. I could overlook it due to the great art, but I can’t place Torment in any best-of list. To each their own though!

Mighty Member

Torment has great art, but poor writing. It's some of the worst I've read in a Spider-Man book and is a clear example of how NOT to write a Spider-Man book.
    The art however, probably some of the best of its time and still holds up today.
    It was a slog to read that 5 issue arc, but it's become more of an art book for me.

The problems with that answer are this? 1: Does anyone think they care what fans think?
    I think they care what paying fans think and they seem to have enough of them for their anti-marriage policy r.e. the 616 comics. I also think that means that if they can make a buck off the marriage without breaking that policy, they're happy to (hence reprints of relevant materials, making and marketing AU stories based on it, allowing a new mini to be set in the pre-OMD incarnation of 616, etc.). You can't please everyone anyways, so the corporation's job is to do what they think is best for their products' longevity and their bottom line.

Remember Brevoort’s “Take your medicine it’s good for you analogy?
    I heard that through an internet user who turned out to be a crazy hate-filled person who regularly libeled, slandered, and misrepresented anyone and everyone rather than accept that they weren't entitled to what they wanted (among other things). I don't recall much success backtracking the context of that admittedly inflammatory statement (e.g. was it "just" a colorful way to explain the brass's POV, or something else relatively innocuous?). Truth be told, I don't put much stock in Brevoort in terms of "getting" the franchise after that incident where he insisted that Spider-Man's central theme was "youth" and anyone who thought it was "power and responsibility" got it wrong. On the other hand, having seen the toxicity and abuse that certain Marvel figures have taken from fans who are still angry over OMD and feel entitled to the marriage coming back, I can't say I blame some for pushing back.

2: How influential is Wells stuff like Beyond and ASM 900? Not to mention Red Goblin and Maximum Carnage which made the list over Jean DeWolff, Juggernaut, Kid Who Collected Spider-Man and others that are considered classics?
    Frankly, I've come to see "best of" lists as being just the opinions of the complier, not an objective assessment (heck, if it was up to me, it would be a lot of Ultimate Spider-Man content). Maybe the writer in this case was just trying to peddle what Marvel wants to be well-liked or to sell certain stuff or drum up interest for what's coming next, but who cares if they do that in a puff piece on their website?

As for Peter and MJ, If Marvel does not want Peter and MJ together, that is their right ( they are rights holders), but don’t throw the marriage issue in there if you do not want them married? This is Marvel playing yet another game with readers. I do not respect or take seriously this list because of what is on it and what is not.
    Course, all that's assuming that they're trying to yank reader's chains, which is quite the assumption taking the list on its own terms. Heck, I would guess it's more likely that Marvel is trying to publicize something relevant to that upcoming Kraven mini than anything else.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)