Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default The New Champion of Shazam #1 Preview

The New Champion of Shazam #1 Preview (Unlettered) + Interview
    Writer: Josie Campbell
    Artist: Doc Shaner

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

I've been really looking forward to this, and Campbell and Shaner are saying all the right things here!

I'm not the biggest fan of Mary being older and not Billy's biological sister, or writing Billy out, but I'm down for Mary getting the spotlight (Freddy had his own run solo, I believe?).

Astonishing Member

I am actually looking forward to this.

I am reading no comics right now...but I will read this.

I like this, mainly because I like Doc’s art and I like the Shazam/Marvel family. I also don’t mind Mary being older and going into college, it’s probably synergy but it also works that characters will get older and experience life after being depicted as kids for so many years.

The rabbit definitely seems fun.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I like this, mainly because I like Doc’s art and I like the Shazam/Marvel family. I also don’t mind Mary being older and going into college, it’s probably synergy but it also works that characters will get older and experience life after being depicted as kids for so many years.

The rabbit definitely seems fun.
    I mean, assuming Billy and Freddy are older now I guess.

Oh I'm very intrigued!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, assuming Billy and Freddy are older now I guess.
    The Shazam family should now be a year or two older than when the current version first appeared in New 52 I guess? Mary had her 18th birthday in the Rebirth series, so it makes sense that she's off to college now. Billy is 16 at least, he could be 17 by now - I think he was 15 when his origin happened in the New 52 Justice League book's backups. I think Freddy's the same age Billy is. Eugene and Pedro are maybe a year or so younger, and Darla's several years younger.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not the biggest fan of Mary being older and not Billy's biological sister, or writing Billy out, but I'm down for Mary getting the spotlight (Freddy had his own run solo, I believe?).
    Yeah, back in the 40s. So did Mary.
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Captain_Marvel,_Jr._Vol_1
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Mary_Marvel_Vol_1
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Can't wait for this. I wish this was closer to the traditional Marvel family but I love that Mary is getting some spotlight.

Extraordinary Member

The New Champion of Shazam #1 Preview (Lettered)
    Writer: Josie Campbell
    Artist: Doc Shaner

This look great.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

I feel like I want to get into this but some of it just doesn't quite jive with me.

I get it, they're still going with Johns' origin and the movie will make that stick...but I wish Mary was still Billy's biological sister and not the older girl of the family. As it is it doesn't feel like she was close enough to Billy to where she would be seen so naturally as his successor like she would've been in past continuities. And putting her in college feels like it will throw the family dynamic off balance, especially depending on how they depict Billy moving forward.

Mary with a temper? She and Supergirl basically are the same at this point .

I wonder how much they'll commit to short-haired Mary.

She does have the long hair in flashbacks, so we can assume she just wanted a new look for college. It's not like they're treating her as always looking like she does now. However, considering she has longer hair in the movies, I won't be surprised if it's quickly grown back by the time of wherever she appears next after this miniseries. But I also won't be surprised if it sticks until the next costume redesign. Depends if they want synergy or not.

Have the kids actually been adopted by now, rather than just being fostered? I notice that Mary actually said "Mom".
    Last edited by Digifiend; 07-30-2022 at 05:08 AM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

The art alone is worth the cover price.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.