Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Superman, Wonder Woman and Damian have a lot of fans. You're basically arguing that the DCU only matters if it's servicing Batman and Harley.
    No, I'm saying that despite Superman, WW and Damian having a lot of fans, those games sell high enough to get a sequel, and that sequel also sell pretty high as far as I know, and so are the digital comic adaptation to the point that Taylor is now hired to do main universe stories.

Less than ten... Has it really gotten that bad?
    Action Comics, Superman: Son of Kal-El, Wonder Woman, Flash... hmm, the fact I'm struggling to think of more is telling.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Action Comics, Superman: Son of Kal-El, Wonder Woman, Flash... hmm, the fact I'm struggling to think of more is telling.
    But some (like Justice League) seem to be on hold until after Dork Crisis (now "on Infinite Earths"!) wraps up.

they won't. Literally makes no sense.

If sales drop dramatically for some reason there might be layoffs or budget cutts or a stronger digital transition.

DC comics is still pretty profitable and those IPs are utilized in many other projects and mediums.

I don't know why people have these irrational fears of DC comics shutting down or getting bought by Marvel. Chill with the conspiracy juice
    The J-man

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    they won't. Literally makes no sense.

If sales drop dramatically for some reason there might be layoffs or budget cutts or a stronger digital transition.

DC comics is still pretty profitable and those IPs are utilized in many other projects and mediums.

I don't know why people have these irrational fears of DC comics shutting down or getting bought by Marvel. Chill with the conspiracy juice
    It's a juicy story and people care about drama and being correct about the industry more than the characters and actual stories themselves.

The "I was right in doomsaying" clout gives haters something to live for; that kind of fulfillment they don't get anywhere else in their lives.

I should know. I'm a Damian Wayne hater. lol
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Deathstroke. Obviously there are a lot of Batman books, but we’re in a particular time now where several of the DC perennials are between volumes. There undoubtedly will be new GL and Teen Titans books, and probably Suicide Squad, possibly Green Arrow and/or Aquaman whenever they do their next big launch.

It’s easy to get tripped up over “ongoing” versus “limited” too. Robin’s ongoing is ending after 17 issues. Swamp Thing is ending after 16. Is there really a significant difference?
    Cheers - CL

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Loco View Post
    Deathstroke. Obviously there are a lot of Batman books, but we’re in a particular time now where several of the DC perennials are between volumes. There undoubtedly will be new GL and Teen Titans books, and probably Suicide Squad, possibly Green Arrow and/or Aquaman whenever they do their next big launch.

It’s easy to get tripped up over “ongoing” versus “limited” too. Robin’s ongoing is ending after 17 issues. Swamp Thing is ending after 16. Is there really a significant difference?
    Swamp Thing going for 16 is an outlier of a long maxi. Robin is the short end of an ongoing.

Yes. There is a difference. You're comparing a rare extension that's nearly as long as 3 minis to a short run. 16 issue minis are extremely rare. Short ongoings at DC usually pass 20 issues before dying.

It's like saying "yeah, Christmas is a big deal in the West, but if you compare holidays and how quickly they are to dump seasonal items, does it really make that much more money than Easter Sunday?"

Come on, man. Don't compare the NFL with Varsity. lol
    Last edited by Robanker; 08-05-2022 at 12:47 PM.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Wasn't 2021 the most successful year in comics history?
    No. Not even close.
    Last edited by dietrich; 08-05-2022 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    YES

However that did not include superheroes.

What is selling is the diverse lines that other companies are selling. Books that nobody has an issue with and ignore if they are not reading them.

The issue for DC is aside from Batman books-why is it a battle to get anything else to sell?

Especially with some of the same writers who are doing successful books at other companies.

Why is Radiant Black succeeding a book with a new character and a spinoff book. Yet nothing can be done with say Shazam or VIxen or Star Girl.
    2021 wasn't the most successful in comics history. That's not remotely true. Do you know how successful the industry used to be? And I'm not even talking about when something like X-men used to sell over 5 million.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    No. Not even close.
    Maybe in raw dollars but I find it hard to believe when adjusted for inflation.

Then again, I'm doing no research as I'm afraid I'll have my American citizenship revoked if I research a topic before forming an opinion on it.
    May we never forget:

. . . Short ongoings at DC usually pass 20 issues before dying.
    But don't forget, the Damian Wayne Robin series isn't just ending with nothing else coming up for him.

The original writer of the series is leaving the title and continuing to work on the main DC ongoing event series, while a "new" writer (Mark Waid) will start a five-issue series Batman vs. Robin in September. (Robin #16 came out in late July.)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But don't forget, the Damian Wayne Robin series isn't just ending with nothing else coming up for him.

The original writer of the series is leaving the title and continuing to work on the main DC ongoing event series, while a "new" writer (Mark Waid) will start a five-issue series Batman vs. Robin in September. (Robin #16 came out in late July.)
    Yeah, it's basically a relaunch to get that new #1 sales boost a couple times.
    May we never forget:

Swamp Thing going for 16 is an outlier of a long maxi. Robin is the short end of an ongoing.

Yes. There is a difference. You're comparing a rare extension that's nearly as long as 3 minis to a short run. 16 issue minis are extremely rare. Short ongoings at DC usually pass 20 issues before dying.
    That hasn’t really been true at DC for 30+ years. DC’s history is littered with “ongoing” series that didn’t survive a year. 17 issues is 17 issues, whether you call it an ongoing, a mini, a maxi or a horse. DC and Marvel both have played around with the term so much that there’s little meaningful distinction between limited and ongoing series.
    Cheers - CL

Well......just read new stuff then or hunt for back issues. Plus there is the 'friends we made along the way' thing someone mentioned earlier.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Maybe in raw dollars but I find it hard to believe when adjusted for inflation.
    Yeah, more people per capita read comics in my parents' time growing up (the '40s and '50) than in later decades, too. It's really not close, either. Heck my generation read more of them than now, FWIW.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?