Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

From the report they said that DC was one of the brands they want to focus on, and emphasized building a plan like Marvel. So as long as Marvel is still printing, i think DC will too.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    From the report they said that DC was one of the brands they want to focus on, and emphasized building a plan like Marvel. So as long as Marvel is still printing, i think DC will too.
    The keyword there is think.

My advice: don't put anything past Zaslav.

Incredible Member James Cameron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    No. Not even close.
    https://icv2.com/articles/markets/vi...w-over-60-2021

Okay, not the most successful in history, but pretty darn good, and isn't the success of any comics a net good for the whole industry? All I mean is that it's provably false to say "no one cares about comics."

edit: but upon re-reading that post I responded to, they said "the" comics, not comics, referring to DC comics. But that data is still relevant in this conversation I think
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    2021 wasn't the most successful in comics history. That's not remotely true. Do you know how successful the industry used to be? And I'm not even talking about when something like X-men used to sell over 5 million.
    "Big Time..." professional wrestling outfits used to make quite a bit more money than they make in the year 2022.

That does not mean that professional wrestling is not a perfectly profitable thing in the year 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    Aren’t they planning on selling off their games division, or at least gut it like a fish
    That was AT&T who wanted to sell but Discovery put a stop to it. Per the investors call, WB games (and HBO proper) are seen as successful and won’t be touched. Basically those divisions are in the green and making WBD a ton of money… it’s the other sections that’ll be reorganized (ie WB Films, DC, WAG, WB television)
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    https://icv2.com/articles/markets/vi...w-over-60-2021

Okay, not the most successful in history, but pretty darn good, and isn't the success of any comics a net good for the whole industry? All I mean is that it's provably false to say "no one cares about comics."

edit: but upon re-reading that post I responded to, they said "the" comics, not comics, referring to DC comics. But that data is still relevant in this conversation I think
    It is but to some folks DC and Marvel only matter.

That is NOT how it works.

You don't get to pick and choose.

The industry is not going to say "yeah books like Something is Killing Children, House of Slaughter, Spawn and Last Kids on Earth have helped us have one of the better years in sales. BUT DC is nowhere to be seen outside Batman."

The industry is going to look at DC and ask what is the issue? Got more resources. What is the issue?

What did House of Slaughter with a gay black male do to be a top 20 (at times top 10) book do that Aqualad could NOT?
    What did Seven Secrets do in 18 issues with a black lead that no black DC lead title (NOT owned by Milestone) could NOT?
    What is Vampirella, Red Sonja, Pantha and all those women at Dynamite doing that DC's can't (those not named Harley or Catwoman)?
    What are they doing that NOBODY throws a FIT about them existing? With the same writers that DC employs.

The industry is happy with the success and will be no matter what. Its DC that has to address ITS issues.

Every year, the idea that DC will get shut down by their higher ups gets tossed out there.

Eventually, if it keeps getting speculated on year after year, it might someday happen.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    What is Vampirella, Red Sonja, Pantha and all those women at Dynamite doing that DC's can't (those not named Harley or Catwoman)?
    What are they doing that NOBODY throws a FIT about them existing? With the same writers that DC employs.
    Well... there are those covers...
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    That doesn't inspire me a lot of trust bcs by the looks of it it really seems like Warner wants DC to copy whatever DC films does

I don't want an abusive relationshio like the one Marvel and the UCM have where you can literally predict what Akira Yoshiba will do by looking at UCMs slate of releases

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

It is but to some folks DC and Marvel only matter.

That is NOT how it works.

You don't get to pick and choose.

The industry is not going to say "yeah books like Something is Killing Children, House of Slaughter, Spawn and Last Kids on Earth have helped us have one of the better years in sales. BUT DC is nowhere to be seen outside Batman."

The industry is going to look at DC and ask what is the issue? Got more resources. What is the issue?

What did House of Slaughter with a gay black male do to be a top 20 (at times top 10) book do that Aqualad could NOT?
    What did Seven Secrets do in 18 issues with a black lead that no black DC lead title (NOT owned by Milestone) could NOT?

The industry is happy with the success and will be no matter what. Its DC that has to address ITS issues.
    Just guessing... different audience
    Fans of gay aqualad are watching Young Justice... maybe not interested in comics... maybe they realize Jackson is not Kaldur... so even if it's marketed.. Kaldur fans are not buying... so they don't add to comic fans who's been reading since Teen Titans.
    Jackson has his fans on tumblr and twitter who buy his comics and when I posted the previews it blew up. Though of course I don't know how many. Maybe those 3 people who I know are buying are the only one.

I notice this character attachment is very important to superhero fans compared to other genre. When fans can't read characters they're interested, instead of reading different characters, they switch to a completely different genre or company... maybe that can provide something similar, or even something different... but not sticking around because the company disappoints them.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-07-2022 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Every year, the idea that DC will get shut down by their higher ups gets tossed out there.

Eventually, if it keeps getting speculated on year after year, it might someday happen.
    And we'll have bunch of people saying "I was right!".

If they shut down the comics, they lose Wonder Woman's rights.

That's the only reason I don't expect them to

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    If they shut down the comics, they lose Wonder Woman's rights.

That's the only reason I don't expect them to
    DC must publish WW as a comic...and not a quarterly magazine?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Just guessing... different audience
    Fans of gay aqualad are watching Young Justice... maybe not interested in comics... maybe they realize Jackson is not Kaldur... so even if it's marketed.. Kaldur fans are not buying... so they don't add to comic fans who's been reading since Teen Titans.
    Jackson has his fans on tumblr and twitter who buy his comics and when I posted the previews it blew up. Though of course I don't know how many. Maybe those 3 people who I know are buying are the only one.

I notice this character attachment is very important to superhero fans compared to other genre. When fans can't read characters they're interested, instead of reading different characters, they switch to a completely different genre or company... maybe that can provide something similar, or even something different... but not sticking around because the company disappoints them.
    I think in his case he works better as an OGN.

You Bought me the Ocean is a top 100-150 book (depending on which subset you are looking at).

Then again that book had very well known creative team with links to LGBTQA versus the comics.

Lambda Award-Winning author Alex Sanchez (Rainbow Boys) and Julie Maroh (Blue Is the Warmest Color). Like any book by Jason Reynolds-you got automatic sales (especially from schools & libraries).

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Did your really unironically ask something this tonedeaf?

5 variants each issue that are highly sexualized pinups. Moreover, they're pinup/pulp characters that aren't being sold as role models to kids.

As for why nobody is throwing a fit? Well, not many people are even reading them. They make their money selling variants to the same small crowd and pumping out content on the cheap. I actually do buy the Red Sonja stuff and I'm the only one at my shop doing so. Sales figures are pretty bad and some issues or runs don't even show up on pirate sites.

Come on. Do better. At least try.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.