Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    I understand your point of view. Peter would certainly never accept to work for Norman, considering their history. Then again, Marvel has put Peter through so many things that I guess it comes a time where he's so tired that he just let himself go and just worry when the time comes. Besides, Peter knows Norman is currently "purified"; and although it's not enough to trust him, at least he knows Norman is not after something bad... For now.

Pretty sure Peter accepts the job offer just to keep a close eye on Norman, just in case. You know, in case suddenly happens that makes Norman's sins to return to him. That's a reasonable way to think for him, staying alert for the old Norman's unevitable return.
    You know, I never thought about it that way, it would make me feel kinda better about Peter working for Norman then.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Is it? In the modern Marvel Universe we see characters inverted all the time. Unrepentant murderers like Carnage and Sabertooth were briefly heroes. Spidey served on a FF team alongside Dr. Doom. Magneto alongside several other villains such as Sinister and Apocalypse are considered high ranking members of the X-Men society. A killer that traumatized his wife and attempted to eat his brains on multiple occasions (Venom) is now treated as a heroic partner, while vice versa his clone and a man he considered his brother wants him dead. This just seems like par for the course, might as well take advantage of it.
    I don't think people are objecting to Norman's face turn, they're objecting to Peter taking Norman's face turn at, well, face value and not being at all squicked or having doubts or second guessing being best buddies with Norman even though a) Norman has face turned before and always reverted back and b) he's still the murderer of Gwen, he sold Harry's soul to Mephisto, he was an awful father to Harry regardless, he engineered the kidnapping of May and replacing her with an actress, he has personally tortured and tormented Peter too many times to remember. Really, if Norman is truly purified and repetent, he should turn himself in for all his crimes and go to prison to atone, but no, he gets to be a billionaire CEO and not at all pay for all the tragedy he caused.

It's one thing to forgive your enemies but forgiving doesn't necessarily equal forgetting. If Peter is supposed to be relatable and human, then it would be only expected for him to have some sort of thoughts about Norman and whether he can actually trust him again. One point of view could be it's disrespectful to the memory of Gwen, to profit off his relationship with her murderer even if Norman's "sins" are now gone. At the least, Wells should show us Peter's mental calculations.

But Wells can't, because the minute he lets us fully into Peter's thoughts, then his mystery boxes will be open because Peter knows full well what happened in those six months. And Wells is apparently too concerned with keeping those mystery boxes slammed shut to care about how that's hurting the characters and their characterization.

I understand your point of view. Peter would certainly never accept to work for Norman, considering their history. Then again, Marvel has put Peter through so many things that I guess it comes a time where he's so tired that he just let himself go and just worry when the time comes. Besides, Peter knows Norman is currently "purified"; and although it's not enough to trust him, at least he knows Norman is not after something bad... For now.

Pretty sure Peter accepts the job offer just to keep a close eye on Norman, just in case. You know, in case suddenly happens that makes Norman's sins to return to him. That's a reasonable way to think for him, staying alert for the old Norman's unevitable return.
    That would be awesome if that's Peter's reasoning, but we don't know because see above. Wells refuses to let us into Peter's thoughts and motivations.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 08-04-2022 at 01:23 PM.

This just reminds me of when Peter acted chill around Otto despite all the terrible things Otto had done up to that point.

I love how the recap still says Peter's burnt his bridges with most of his friends when it's clear in the previous issue that it only really applies to the Fantastic Four and...maybe the Avengers depending on when the All-Out Avengers book takes place lmao

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This just reminds me of when Peter acted chill around Otto despite all the terrible things Otto had done up to that point.
    I suppose Peter gained some understanding on him after they were on each other's heads. I mean, sure, not all was forgiven, but Peter could understand Otto better.

I suppose Peter gained some understanding on him after they were on each other's heads. I mean, sure, not all was forgiven, but Peter could understand Otto better.
    Yeah, not that it downplayed all the bad stuff Otto did in his body.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, not that it downplayed all the bad stuff Otto did in his body.
    Peter's reaction to Superior was pretty much "Otto was a jerk" which is so very Slott and so not believable at all.

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

"This Oscorp" implies to me that Norman is starting up a new company, as old Oscorp is part of Alchemax now. Regarding Peter working for Norman, their history aside, he would be foolish not to. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer".

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyClone View Post
    "This Oscorp" implies to me that Norman is starting up a new company, as old Oscorp is part of Alchemax now. Regarding Peter working for Norman, their history aside, he would be foolish not to. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer".
    Didn't Madame Web say that to Spider-Man back in 90s TAS with regard to teaming up with both Iron Man and Venom to fight Carnage, Baron Mordo, and Dormammu? Fun times.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

I can’t emphasize enough how much I dislike this version of Osborn and Peter basically acting like a simp around him. Even when he had amnesia in the 60s, Peter regarded him with suspicion and didn’t fully relax near him. Zeb Wells, you know your continuity, right? You do know what Norman has done to Peter over the years… right?

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyClone View Post
    Feels like we're gravitating to the "classic" status quo of industrialist Norman Osborn and his dangerous split personality the Green Goblin who comes out whenever it's convenient for the plot.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    1970s, with MJ playing Gwen - she even has the two mystery children ala Sins Past - and Felicia playing MJ - she even got to give the pep talk in ASM 4 that was usually MJ's. Wells took completely the wrong message from Mary Jane and Black Cat, in which they discuss which one of them is the good girl and which one is the bad girl.
    What is next. 20 years marriage with Felicia then a one more day retcon?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I can’t emphasize enough how much I dislike this version of Osborn and Peter basically acting like a simp around him. Even when he had amnesia in the 60s, Peter regarded him with suspicion and didn’t fully relax near him. Zeb Wells, you know your continuity, right? You do know what Norman has done to Peter over the years… right?
    Can't hold on to upteen years of continuity. Use what you need to tell a story and leave the rest behind.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Can't hold on to upteen years of continuity. Use what you need to tell a story and leave the rest behind.
    Spider-Man is serialized. Why read and/or write a serialized product like a Spider-Man if it's pick and choose?
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 08-04-2022 at 06:11 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Maybe that’s how you like your comics. Most of us care about at least some semblance of continuity. I’m not asking for references to obscure characters or storylines like in the Spencer run. But they can at least keep some consistency when it comes to Peter and Norman’s acrimonious history. If you like no-stakes Spidey with zero connective continuity, you can always check out his Saturday morning cartoons though.