Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Spider-Man is serialized. Why read and/or write a serialized product like a Spider-Man if it's pick and choose?
    Because it is not sustainable. The product is worked on by a mutltiude of creators over time, each wanting to place their own stamp. Some attempt to honor previous material at the same time. But even when they do, they will inevitably miss moments or not remember occurrences, etc.

No one has the time nor should be expected to read, categorize and be able to pull out at a moments notice an entire 60 year plus history of a fictional character. Plus that would only service the readers that have aged with the product, when the goal is to service both new and old patrons.

Pick what you need to tell the story (hopefully, a good story) and leave the rest behind.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Because it is not sustainable. The product is worked on by a mutltiude of creators over time, each wanting to place their own stamp. Some attempt to honor previous material at the same time. But even when they do, they will inevitably miss moments or not remember occurrences, etc.

No one has the time nor should be expected to read, categorize and be able to pull out at a moments notice an entire 60 year plus history of a fictional character. Plus that would only service the readers that have aged with the product, when the goal is to service both new and old patrons.

Pick what you need to tell the story (hopefully, a good story) and leave the rest behind.
    Not how it works, sorry.

No one is saying you must reference every panel from every comic.

But the overall characterization and history of the characters must be respected, or else it's nonsense. There are no stakes. There is no weight to the story. Why bother to care about the characters and their adventures if the next writer is just going to wipe out what happened and start all over?

Don't like to read or write serial stories, Archie is that way --->

Personally, I think Marvel should take a page from DC and reboot their main universe every so often. Marvel has become a parody itself, with their insistence "we did continuity right the first time" but yet certain characters are now artifically forced to stay in their hermetically sealed boxes, damaging them.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 08-04-2022 at 07:25 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Maybe that’s how you like your comics. Most of us care about at least some semblance of continuity. I’m not asking for references to obscure characters or storylines like in the Spencer run. But they can at least keep some consistency when it comes to Peter and Norman’s acrimonious history. If you like no-stakes Spidey with zero connective continuity, you can always check out his Saturday morning cartoons though.
    I can go either way when it comes to continuity. I can appreciate creators that attempt to utilize it, but I don't expect or hold them to do so. It is not sustainable.

Wells may evenually get around to addressing some of their history. But whether he does or not, I'm interested in what is occurring now and seeing where that goes.

Amazing #6 had a ton of references to past material and it was enjoyable. So Wells does seem to know and acknowledge continuity on some level.

Astonishing Member

But whether he does or not, I'm interested in what is occurring now and seeing where that goes.
    But it won't go anywhere, according to you. It doesn't matter where it goes. It's ultimately nonsense that has no past and no future and should just be wiped out and ignored when it's over. *shrug*

Incredible Member

Not how it works, sorry.

No one is saying you must reference every panel from every comic.

But the overall characterization and history of the characters must be respected, or else it's nonsense. There are no stakes. There is no weight to the story. Why bother to care about the characters and their adventures if the next writer is just going to wipe out what happened and start all over?

Don't like to read or write serial stories, Archie is that way --->

Personally, I think Marvel should take a page from DC and reboot their main universe every so often. Marvel has become a parody itself, with their insistence "we did continuity right the first time" but yet certain characters are now artifically forced to stay in their hermetically sealed boxes, damaging them.
    The last thing Marvel should do is take anything from DC (other than what not to do)!

Marvel is the industry leader for a reason.

Astonishing Member

The last thing Marvel should do is take anything from DC (other than what not to do)!

Marvel is the industry leader for a reason.
    Pretty sure Batman has consistently outsold Spider-Man titles over the last fifteen years. Publishing more quantity of titles does not equal quality.

Incredible Member

But it won't go anywhere, according to you. It doesn't matter where it goes. It's ultimately nonsense that is just going to get wiped out and ignored. *shrug*
    Where it goes within its arc and within that particular creators time on the book.

And yes, when that creator is done and they start the next volume with a shiny new #1, leave the previous volume behind and let's keep it moving!

Incredible Member

Pretty sure Batman has consistently outsold Spider-Man titles over the last fifteen years. Publishing more quantity of titles does not equal quality.
    Batman beats Spiderman but not Marvel. Batman is what keeps DC afloat.

Astonishing Member

Batman beats Spiderman but not Marvel. Batman is what keeps DC afloat.
    Quantity of titles does not equal quality. Marvel has more market share because it publishes more titles, that's all. Batman hasn't lost its readers, unlike Spider-Man.

Where it goes within its arc and within that particular creators time on the book.

And yes, when that creator is done and they start the next volume with a shiny new #1, leave the previous volume behind and let's keep it moving!
    There are limited titles and AUs if you want to see what a particular creator does.

But in the main continuity, you just wasted a couple of hundred of dollars or more buying a story that will be wiped out and not count. Yeah, no. Thankfully, that's not how Marvel works - or shouldn’t work, until they come out with a big change in philosophy.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 08-04-2022 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    I understand your point of view. Peter would certainly never accept to work for Norman, considering their history. Then again, Marvel has put Peter through so many things that I guess it comes a time where he's so tired that he just let himself go and just worry when the time comes. Besides, Peter knows Norman is currently "purified"; and although it's not enough to trust him, at least he knows Norman is not after something bad... For now.

Pretty sure Peter accepts the job offer just to keep a close eye on Norman, just in case. You know, in case suddenly happens that makes Norman's sins to return to him. That's a reasonable way to think for him, staying alert for the old Norman's unevitable return.
    I think this is actually a pretty accurate take. Peter is never going to trust or like Norman, but I also think it's very within his character to feel it necessary to give him a chance. Treating him like, well ... like he deserves isn't going to help anyone and would possibly accelerate the return of the goblin from his point of view

Astonishing Member

I can go either way when it comes to continuity. I can appreciate creators that attempt to utilize it, but I don't expect or hold them to do so. It is not sustainable.
    This isn’t something convoluted, like keeping Hawkman’s continuity straight. This is just being consistent with how Peter regards Norman, a mass murderer who has killed or tried to kill several of Peter’s loved ones.
    It’d be like if Matt Murdock started being friendly and working for Wilson Fisk. Or Clark Kent and Lex Luthor (yes I know about that silly 1990s storyline where his younger, nicer Aussie clone took over, but I digress). It’s one thing for Norman’s sins to be “cleansed” (which I thought was an incredibly dumb story in itself), but at the very least Peter still regarded him with suspicion at the end of Spencer’s run. Here Peter seems like an eager kid wanting to impress a father-figure. It’s surprising to me because Wells seems pretty attuned to continuity as evidenced by Beyond, without being slavish to it like Spencer which I think would be a more suitable target for criticisms about continuity weighing down stories.

This isn’t something convoluted, like keeping Hawkman’s continuity straight. This is just being consistent with how Peter regards Norman, a mass murderer who has killed or tried to kill several of Peter’s loved ones.
    It’d be like if Matt Murdock started being friendly and working for Wilson Fisk. Or Clark Kent and Lex Luthor (yes I know about that silly 1990s storyline where his younger, nicer Aussie clone took over, but I digress). It’s one thing for Norman’s sins to be “cleansed” (which I thought was an incredibly dumb story in itself), but at the very least Peter still regarded him with suspicion at the end of Spencer’s run. Here Peter seems like an eager kid wanting to impress a father-figure. It’s surprising to me because Wells seems pretty attuned to continuity as evidenced by Beyond, without being slavish to it like Spencer which I think would be a more suitable target for criticisms about continuity weighing down stories.
    ...eager to impress a father figure? What? I earnestly have no idea how you got that from what's there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    ...eager to impress a father figure? What? I earnestly have no idea how you got that from what's there.
    That’s my impression. Yours is obviously different, I suppose. But he’s not treating Norman like the guy who has at one time or another killed half of Peter’s supporting cast (regardless of whether or not they eventually “got better” since death has become next to meaningless in comics). Ask yourself if you would associate with someone who killed your loved ones, even if they had “changed” like Norman supposedly has.

That’s my impression. Yours is obviously different, I suppose. But he’s not treating Norman like the guy who has at one time or another killed half of Peter’s supporting cast (regardless of whether or not they eventually “got better” since death has become next to meaningless in comics). Ask yourself if you would associate with someone who killed your loved ones, even if they had “changed” like Norman supposedly has.
    'Not hating on Norman hard enough' is a long ways from 'treating him like a father figure whom he's eager to impress'. But ask yourself: what good would any of that do from Peter's perspective? He's watched the guy get impaled opn his goblin glider and come back, and this is literally the least obviously threatening Norman's been in decades. Peter might, and I think it's in character for him, view keeping an eye on him as his responsibility to Harry's memory, a Harry who just sacrificed him in the end of Spencer's oh so exalted run, for his dad after another version did the 'fixing' him in the first place. I don't think it's super hard to believe that Peter might try to roll with that. Responsibility and guilt are pretty much his defining characteristics. :P

But we're not getting into Peter's head on this because we're not being really made privvy to his thoughts in this run at all.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 08-04-2022 at 10:09 PM.

They can finally pair Felicia up with a woman, and we're going to get a love triangle between Peter with Felicia or MJ.

This run sucks so much.