Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    So, either Disney will whitewash Magneto and make him a poor misunderstood victim who was never a true terrorist, or they will keep him as a terrorist but they will avoid the Holocaust origin to avoid insulting real Holocaust survivors...
    While surfing, I came accross someone who felt offended by the fact Claremont gave to Magneto a Holocaust survivor origin… I don’t think he was himself a “survivor” but the holocaust is a important part of the Israeli history…

Anyway, timeline makes absolutely no sense in Marvel comics and hasn’t Xavier a young body now?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Mighty Member

everything has more or less scaled forward.

The entire comic of History of the Marvel Universe was established for that entire reason.

It's also why the Sina-Cong War is a thing now and effectively the origin point for every established character who started the age of Marvels.

Astonishing Member

I dunno... if they keep Magneto's original introduction as similar to the comics, I can see Disney choosing not to make a Holocaust survivor into a racial supremacist terrorist... many people has always perceived that as very distasteful and disrespectful towards Holocaust victims...

That doesn't come often in these forums, but the majority of the public hasn't the unconditional love for mutant characters that is prevalent here... I mean if you make a movie and have Apocalypse try to kill 99 % of Humanity, X-fans will still give him the benefit of the doubt, but for the rest of the world he is an irredeemable villain who needs to be killed. People out there who haven't been in love with the X-Men for like 40 years don't see things like devoted X-fans do.

So, either Disney will whitewash Magneto and make him a poor misunderstood victim who was never a true terrorist, or they will keep him as a terrorist but they will avoid the Holocaust origin to avoid insulting real Holocaust survivors...
    I've never bought that argument. First Magneto isn't some ''personification of sheer evil'' type of villain. He's a sympathetic villain whose motivations and viewpoint you kinda understand even if you disagree with him (though honestly, given how mutants used to perpetually be on the verge of extermination in the MU, it's hard to entirely disagree with him as well!) I'd say of all the existing MCU villains, Killmonger is closest to Magneto, and Killmonger's portrayal has been almost universally lauded.

Magneto is the living embodiment of the idea that ''hurt people hurt people''. He knows how human nature works, so he knows that the best way for a race/species/people to safeguard themselves is to pre-empt human nature by taking extremist, occasionally even genocidal action, himself. Which, incidentally, is the logic used by many real-world extremists and tyrants as well, and part of it at least is hard to dispute.

Anyway, the idea of Magneto being a Holocaust survivor is well-ingrained in pop-culture now, and while you'll always have a few people who have a problem with him (you can always find a few people who have a problem with pretty much anything) I really don't think there's some kind of widespread condemnation of it that would make Disney consider changing his origin for that reason at least.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I've never bought that argument. First Magneto isn't some ''personification of sheer evil'' type of villain. He's a sympathetic villain whose motivations and viewpoint you kinda understand even if you disagree with him (though honestly, given how mutants used to perpetually be on the verge of extermination in the MU, it's hard to entirely disagree with him as well!).
    This is exactly my point: X-fans will say "Magneto is justified because mutants have gone through so much terrible stuff and have suffered so much!". But people who aren't X-fans don't care mutants, that are fictional characters in a fictional universe.

They don't care Magneto's viewpoint. They don't care his motivations. They don't care mutants. They don't care the Mutant Massacre. They don't care Genosha. They don't care Utopia. They don't care the Legacy Virus. They don't care Sentinels. They don't care the Terrigen Cloud. Because these things just don't exist, and they haven't even been portrayed in the movies until now. They won't sympathize with Magneto's motivations.

All they will see is a Holocaust survivor being portrayed as a human-hating terrorist, which is far too close to how the enemies of Israel portray it, and Disney doesn't want to get into that kind of mess. Disney cares only about selling its movies to as many people as possible, and the public of MCU movies is far, far, far, far, wider than comic readers. There are lots of people who love the movies and cares nothing for the comics, and these know very little about characters that aren't in the movies.

I've never bought that argument. First Magneto isn't some ''personification of sheer evil'' type of villain. He's a sympathetic villain whose motivations and viewpoint you kinda understand even if you disagree with him (though honestly, given how mutants used to perpetually be on the verge of extermination in the MU, it's hard to entirely disagree with him as well!) I'd say of all the existing MCU villains, Killmonger is closest to Magneto, and Killmonger's portrayal has been almost universally lauded.
    “Sympathetic” villain? Depends on the comics and the authors… Like many X-characters, personalities, natures, motivations have changed along the years, sometimes drastically.
    He certainly wasn’t sympathetic with Morrison.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

They both have died and been resurrected before Krakoa. Their ages are irrelevant at this point! They are immortal.

BANNED

This is exactly my point: X-fans will say "Magneto is justified because mutants have gone through so much terrible stuff and have suffered so much!". But people who aren't X-fans don't care mutants, that are fictional characters in a fictional universe.

They don't care Magneto's viewpoint. They don't care his motivations. They don't care mutants. They don't care the Mutant Massacre. They don't care Genosha. They don't care Utopia. They don't care the Legacy Virus. They don't care Sentinels. They don't care the Terrigen Cloud. Because these things just don't exist, and they haven't even been portrayed in the movies until now. They won't sympathize with Magneto's motivations.

All they will see is a Holocaust survivor being portrayed as a human-hating terrorist, which is far too close to how the enemies of Israel portray it, and Disney doesn't want to get into that kind of mess. Disney cares only about selling its movies to as many people as possible, and the public of MCU movies is far, far, far, far, wider than comic readers. There are lots of people who love the movies and cares nothing for the comics, and these know very little about characters that aren't in the movies.
    Magneto joined the XMen. He has not been a terrorist long before the Krakoan era. So the comics took care of that problem. Really in tbe last two XMen movies that failed he wasn’t a terrorist, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    While surfing, I came accross someone who felt offended by the fact Claremont gave to Magneto a Holocaust survivor origin… I don’t think he was himself a “survivor” but the holocaust is a important part of the Israeli history…

Anyway, timeline makes absolutely no sense in Marvel comics and hasn’t Xavier a young body now?
    Magneto was also turned into a baby in Defenders (Back when X-Men were cancelled) and then turned into an adult again early in Claremont's X-Men, and I think he was said to be a bit younger too.

Don't they say now that he was in stasis for a while so he's not too old when modern Marvel begins?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Magneto joined the XMen. He has not been a terrorist long before the Krakoan era. So the comics took care of that problem. Really in tbe last two XMen movies that failed he wasn’t a terrorist, either.
    Read my first post: I said that Disney will either whitewash Magneto and erase his terrorism, or introduce him as a terrorist (just like in the comics) and change his origin so he isn't an Holocaust survivor.

This isn't about the comics, this is about how they will introduce Magneto into the MCU as a new character to people who don't read X-Men.

He was always younger. He just looks old because he is bald and usually in a wheelchair

BANNED

Magneto’s Omega-Level EM powers give him a mutant self-healing-factor which keeps him looking young , duh !

AFTER ALL, HE CAN PHYSICALLY SURVIVE EVEN MINUS A LITERAL HEART , LOL
    Last edited by EldonMaguan; 08-06-2022 at 01:07 AM.

BANNED

Read my first post: I said that Disney will either whitewash Magneto and erase his terrorism, or introduce him as a terrorist (just like in the comics) and change his origin so he isn't an Holocaust survivor.

This isn't about the comics, this is about how they will introduce Magneto into the MCU as a new character to people who don't read X-Men.
    I read your post. I mentioned a the comics because there is comic book evidence to support that they may whitewash Magneto’s past. Marvel has invested a lot in the Krakoa era.

He has not been a villain in a long time in the comics or the Fox movies and I believe the MCU will handle things the same way.

Astonishing Member

Yeah. But I don't really see them getting rid of the WW2 connection. Him being a survivor of the Holocaust has become an integral part of his character now, especially after the movies.

I'm curious to know how the MCU handles it though. If they come up with an updated origin for him that gets rid of the Holocaust backstory, then I guess its possible that the comics will follow suit. But I think they're definitely going to have to address it one way or the other in live-action. Because if they cast a 30-40 something or a 50-60 something as Magneto they're gonna have to explain how he's still around if he was a Holocaust survivor as a child.
    Punisher's time in Vietnam war was integral too but that was retconned out.

I always thought a lot of the charm (and the tragedy for that matter) in Magneto as a villain was that he had become the very thing he hated and can't see it. He's a Holocaust survivor that goes around preaching about how his master race is superior.

To the general public, Magneto is a villain. Whether they think he a terrorist or not is debatable, but he'd definitely bad news.

Even in the comics where they try to push he as a hero, he still gets presented like a villain, with big villain like splash pages and poses, and speeches. It's lightened off recently, but he's been bad news so long it's hard to shake the presentation. Especially since we never really got any big redemption storyline for the guy. He was this racists evil guy and now he's the racist guy that the X-men are okay with.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I always thought a lot of the charm (and the tragedy for that matter) in Magneto as a villain was that he had become the very thing he hated and can't see it. He's a Holocaust survivor that goes around preaching about how his master race is superior.

To the general public, Magneto is a villain. Whether they think he a terrorist or not is debatable, but he'd definitely bad news.

Even in the comics where they try to push he as a hero, he still gets presented like a villain, with big villain like splash pages and poses, and speeches. It's lightened off recently, but he's been bad news so long it's hard to shake the presentation. Especially since we never really got any big redemption storyline for the guy. He was this racists evil guy and now he's the racist guy that the X-men are okay with.
    The XMen 90s cartoon portrayed him as ruthless, but he was not a villain. Humans, sentinels, etc really were trying to kill mutants.

So why is someone standing up for themselves villainous? Perhaps people seriously need to examine themselves.

Xavier founded Krakoa with Magneto, and Erik’s bff Charles has been just as ruthless as Erik in recent years. Everyone trying to kill you sure does harden your heart. Now the Eternals are trying to kill them.