Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Thoughts on the "Flagship Tripartite": X-Men, X-Men Red, and Immortal X-Men?

Combined, are they giving you everything you've ever wanted?

They're certainly giving me that right now.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

No. I like xmen but it's hard to stay excited because it feels like it gets shifted a lot so i honestly don't remember things that happened between issues and i feel duggan whole story has been put in a continous holding pattern so i don't talk about it much because seeing the situation i can't fault him and he did a good job with all the shifts but hasn't been able to focus his story or directive. Red is almost perfection but recently got derailed but in how it was derailed Ewing maximized the potential from it so it's actually i think a good thing. I wanted to like immortal but it only seems to exist to not only give a negative view of the council but simply to build up the eternals events rather than ever addressing legitimate council issues that have existed so in that respect it's worse than X-force which was suppose to be mutant cia. They could have just given gillien a series of giant size one shots featuring each council member.
    Last edited by jwatson; 08-04-2022 at 05:47 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Red and Immortal are 100%

I could nitpick few things but over all those 2 titles are pure amazing

X-men...... I could make a page worth of issues I have with the title

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    Red and Immortal are 100%

I could nitpick few things but over all those 2 titles are pure amazing

X-men...... I could make a page worth of issues I have with the title
    Exactly...

It is roughly...

Don't care/Doesn't look like they are about to give me much of a reason to care...

All I want is Hellion. So no.

Other than that, not entirely? I'm getting a lot from X-Men Red, that's almost perf. That book develops Arakko culture, showcases characters big and small, understands the characters it uses, and stays extremely engaging. It's giving me nearly everything I want from Arakko.

Right now I want more development into the culture and people of Krakoa, and neither X-Men (for obvious reasons) nor Immortal are covering that. The teams are important and we definitely needed a Council book, but I want to see more of Krakoa beyond small incidents and characters drinking at a tiki bar. Though in Immortal's defense, it has big twists, some intriguing storylines and good character focus It can also keep the wheels turning. It succeeds in what it's meant to do. It's not meant to be a Krakoa culture book and I get that. And I like the book. But it's not fulfilling many of my big wants at the moment.

With X-Men, I'm getting the least of what I want. I love the way the stories are structured (seriously, the pacing is great. I don't think any arc felt dragged out.) I like and appreciate how some characters (ie Jean and Synch) are handled. But I'm much more about character focus, which has been a weak point for much of the book. We also had less plot development and drama, but Year 2 should fix this. Right now though, I appreciate this book more than I like it. It's not a book I actively wait for, unlike the other two.

EDIT: Actually wanted to shout-out how Duggan at least seems to course-correct and address flaws. He addressed the mistake with Laura's adamantium. He also kiboshed the Laura-Synch romance - while we don't know if that was because it wasn't popular, I like to think it is, since he seemed to be going for it at first.

I wish X-Factor was still running, because that would have easily been one of my big three. We had big and small characters getting focus and development, we had enjoyable romances we had some intriguing and engaging stories, and we were getting development on Krakoa as a country.
    Last edited by Rift; 08-04-2022 at 05:18 PM.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

X-men is clearly well behind the others. It ends up feeling like fluff compared to the other two or Hickman's stuff, in part because the sense of urgency is much smaller, in part because Duggan once again proves he has problems in handling big casts, and the next one is even bigger.

Red is. I feel like XMR makes the world of mutants feel big again in the same way that HoXPoX and select issues of Hickman's X-Men run did.

X-Men is a little milquetoast for my liking. I think the purpose is needed (still defending a world that fears and hates them) but I feel like something more radical or fresh was needed for it to stand up in this era and still yet represent the core of the X-Men.

Immortal is mixed. I don't know that every council member needs a spotlight (and a ton of them are featured elsewhere). Like X-Men, I'm glad that it exists because of how integral the Council is to Krakoan society but I wonder how the dosing of a monthly will fare. I am iffy on Gillen's voice for this book. It has been wonderful on some issues and a bit of a chore on others.

They're all fine books, but no not really.

None of the X-books is really quite giving me what I want.

Red has been the best of the 3 so far. I’m excited for Ewing’s story and hope he continues to expand Arrako for a long time.

Immortal is pretty good. The high’s are very high in this book, but it has been inconsistent issue to issue.

X-Men is solid but it’s mostly been monster of the week since Duggan took over. He’s doing a good job at that, but it doesn’t feel as “important” as the other 2 titles if that makes sense. Larraz was amazing and Cassara taking over is huge for this title.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Red and immortal are great character work, tense and full of fun developments for the characters.

Xmen is kinda bland. Not offensive, but nothing interesting and the character “work” is pretty shallow.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    They're all fine books, but no not really.

None of the X-books is really quite giving me what I want.
    While that pair of titles that I mentioned is a "Bullseye..." for what I want to see?

I really do wonder why they have not thought to attempt an "Anthology..." sort of an "X..." title to address your specific and legitimate grumble.

For me Red is the cream of the crop and pretty much as close to perfect as you can get. X-Men gave Synch a spotlight which I am thankful for but it suffers from the same issues as Duggan's Marauders in that 1 or 2 characters get to shine but the rest of the cast becomes an afterthought. Immortal desperately wants to be Hickman's New Avengers, the problem is it is boring as hell and doesn't have the stakes to be on the level of that run.

X-Men have Cyclops in it, so it's the best one by default. It's far from perfect, I miss Gillen's Cyclops in his Uncanny days...

Immortal lives or dies depending on what character is getting the spotlight and how well Gillen can write them. He should use Cyclops more on Immortal, the data page about the kaijus was one of the best moments so far.

Probably the better written of all 3, at least so far, but personally, I don't think is nearly as good as most people think it is. The most impressive thing to me, is how many people apparently know the Arrako mutants by name when I can barely notice the differences between them, with the exception of Ora and Isca. The book would be much better if he used Cyclops more, I hear Isca's sit will be empty soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    X-Men have Cyclops in it, so it's the best one by default. It's far from perfect, I miss Gillen's Cyclops in his Uncanny days...

Immortal lives or dies depending on what character is getting the spotlight and how well Gillen can write them. He should use Cyclops more on Immortal, the data page about the kaijus was one of the best moments so far.

Probably the better written of all 3, at least so far, but personally, I don't think is nearly as good as most people think it is. The most impressive thing to me, is how many people apparently know the Arrako mutants by name when I can barely notice the differences between them, with the exception of Ora and Isca. The book would be much better if he used Cyclops more, I hear Isca's sit will be empty soon...
    I like the way you think. I'm rooting for 2024: The Year of Cyclops.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Ewing is almost perfect. It is a bit of a outlier in that its off on Mars and doing it's side thing, but his writing and the art have been pretty stellar. His SWORD was excellent too, bringing Storm and Magneto into the center of this run makes it feel more important, but it still feels a little off-center, despite being the best.

Immortal is better than X-Men, but I'm not as impressed by Gillen as many seem to be. I read his Eternals and it sickens me that it's being shoved down our throats now in AXE(Kirby's Eternals angle was MUCH more enjoyable than this robot thing). It's more pretentious than actually interesting.

I don't care for Duggan's X-Men all that much. Everett being on the main team and all that is nice, but it's just kinda vapid. Without that slick art, it wouldn't be anything to write home about.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!