Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Anyone Heard about the Claremont panel in C2E2?

https://twitter.com/ComicsXF/status/1555684032347869189

you can see from this thread, guy went nuts. wow and people are reacting to it on twitter. to be honest, I love the guy, his run was what got me into comics again but man.... I'm conflicted.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Not being there, and reading a transcript third-hand, I cannot say whether or not Claremont was just being his usual crazy Claremonty self and having a good ol' piss at the fans...that said, the Twatters are not known for having a well-developed sense of humour. They don't have a well-developed sense of anything, really.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 08-06-2022 at 05:19 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    https://twitter.com/ComicsXF/status/1555684032347869189

you can see from this thread, guy went nuts. wow and people are reacting to it on twitter. to be honest, I love the guy, his run was what got me into comics again but man.... I'm conflicted.
    I saw it but im more concerned about modern work than an idea man shooting out ideas. I'm more focused on what is actually being released and what it lacks. It's an editor job to edit Claremont. Now writers who talk all big and lie through their teeth in interviews to sound clever I have a bigger problem with. So I'll at least see what the guy delivers like everyone claims we should do for writers even when they aren't actively delivering. Also I don't scour twitter for people personal stuff, or views, just me.

I also never believe 3rd hand summaries as people can't even describe what happens in printed material so I definitely won't believe someone interpretation of something. This reads like one of those xmen unlimited recaps without the tongue in cheek. Lol
    Last edited by jwatson; 08-06-2022 at 05:17 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

That reads like someone completely devoid of any sense of humour trying to report on someone giving tongue in cheek answers.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    That reads like someone completely devoid of any sense of humour trying to report on someone giving tongue in cheek answers.
    I guess you right, maybe I overreacted.

For me it's just Claremont being Claremont and he has definitely earned the right to voice his opinion of the franchise.

Mighty Member

He didn’t go “nuts” or anything this is just Chris Claremont. He mentioned he was going to C2E2 in his last interview. He talked about a lot of the same points in a podcast before of which I did some bullet points and posted in the Gambit thread. It’s long. But im going to post it here just so people can see he’s consistent with his curmudgeony. I think he makes a lot of good points about modern marvel and all that but sometimes he can get a bit too negative and bitter overall. I think Chris needs a strong editorial to keep him in check. All that stuff about Gambit seducing Kitty was his original plan along with Gambit and Sinister just being projections from a eternally 12 yo mutant. Anyway this is the bullet points for what he said in a interview

Here’s some of the notes from the Claremont interview. It was 2 hours long and the way Chris talks I tried to capture the essence. So if some points are a bit long winded I apologize

He talks about a few topics. He doesn’t talk about Gambit comic too much but there’s a few tidbits about the upcoming comic that I’m just going to put in another seperate comment.

One of the first things he talks about is the Gambit comic so that will be in the next comment

8:00 he wanted to call his story just X because he felt X-men didn’t really capture how many women he writes.

10:11 did have a series called Xwomen but hated the title. He did get to work with Milo Minera who he loved.

14:18 someone asked if there’s any stories of his he wishes he could do. He says planned X-men movie in 1988. Jim Cameron was to produce and Katheryn Bigelow (Hurt Locker) was gonna direct. Angela Bassett was gonna be Ororo and Bob Hoskins Wolverine

20:00 kinda complains a bit for awhile about a few different topics. Says successive writers like Jon, Fabian, Scott didn’t have a clue. When he left a lot of the core concepts and relationships were altered

27:50 talks about its kinda messed up of Logan to ask Jubilee to save him as a 12 yo during X-men 300 when Wolverine ends up a villain. Says he was building up Colossus for his hero moment

Talks about wanting to kill Professor X and replace him with Magento who would be more interesting.

30:00 talks about his plans for Jean and Logan getting rejected by editorial but then later they take the story anyway and have Mark Millar write it.

34:59 “pisses him off” that he creates stories and someone else always ends up writing them

36:20 asked about Nightcrawler and if he wanted to bring back Amanda Sefton. He said yes. She’s in heaven and he’s on earth but there’s chemistry

40:00 asked if he’s kept up with the modern stuff and he says only Hickman House of X and Power of X cause that’s what the office sent him. He says new comics are the antithesis of what Stan Lee taught him. Everything should be a one shot

43:00 says he understand the commercial aspect but as a reader the constant crossovers ruins the experience and you shouldnt need to buy a comic you aren’t interested in to finish a story you are interested in.

46:00 Talks about Jean’s resurrection and how bad he hated it. Uses Crisis of Infinite earth as a comparison. they could revamp Clark with that if they wanted to make him less strong. And they could do something similar with Jean when it came to the Cyclops problem who is now married.

57:20 Talks about some of the issues he had while writing a Willow book.

58:20 asked if he’s excited about the new Willow series he says “no. Because they aren’t using my stuff”

1:00:00 asked about artists he wanted to work with and he says Steve Ditko and Jack Kirby. Takes time to praise Sid Kotian who is the artist on the new Gambit book.

1:03:50 talks about Sage a bit and the retcons. Interviewer reminds him that “Sage is a part of Xforce these days” Chris: (heavy groan/sigh with an eye roll) “no comment”

1:04:55 Start talking about Dazzler. She was meant to be black and a hip hop kinda singer from Chicago. She was supposed to be more all American and kind of an anti-Storm. Modeled her after Grace Jones. But someone higher up saw Bo Derek and as Chris puts it “she became another boring blonde girl” a couple people in chat seemed to have gotten upset at that comment. Chris says he’s a blonde so he can say that

After Dazzler the convo turns to retcons and if they good or bad. examples brought up are Doctor Who and James Bond.

1:13:00 talk about full scripts vs non full scripts. Says DC used to be worse than Marvel because they would have full scripts. marvel allowed writers more room to experiment. But now Marvel uses full scripts

1:17:00 shows an example of a full script. The page he shows on screen appears to be a page from his upcoming Xtreme squared comic. Me or someone might need to get a screenshot later

1:20:00 Talks about the graphic novel God Loves Man Kills. Calls it the definitive X-man book to read. BUT he doesn’t view it as canon because the story is too perfect and it doesn’t lend itself to continued story to build off of. Interviewer says he loves that book and won’t accept it’s not canon (in a joking way)

Also says he thinks if it was printed today everyone would be pro Striker because of our current political landscape. The interviewer politely disagrees.

1:24:00 complains that creators of characters get a really bad font size and position in credits of movies compared to the people who made the movie and didn’t do anything for the character.

Complains about Striker and his son being plucked out of Gods and Man for X2 and just used as a throwaway. Said you could replace them and it wouldn’t matter to the story.

A little bit longer of complaining

1:38:30 a queer fan sends in a comment thanking him for his stories that helped people like her find their strength and the metaphor of mutants and LGBTQ. He thanks her and says his stories are about embracing the outsider. Speaking to the people who use fear to control and use fiction to tell stories that need to be told.

1:41:00 talks a little bit about Ororo colonizing Mars with millions of inhabited mutants. But in the 60s there was maybe 100 mutants. He says back in the day people could control through fear because even with a strong one like Magneto humans could still overpower mutants numberswise. But he says that power dynamic and that question is no longer relevant today because the world has changed and the power difference is not how it was. So the story can’t have the same plot devices as before

He talks about Russia a bit and “what if they had super beings?” What would happen in Ukraine? Would Russia want Alaska back?

He says Stan Lee set the Marvel universe in New York because it’s more real. Even if real problems are glossed over in passing they can still be addressed

He says the Avengers “schwarma” moment was a true Marvel moment. Because it’s real. DC lives in fictional world bubbles and DC never had a schwarma moment of realness

Compare the DC bubble cities to Krakoa and interviewer asks if he likes Krakoa. Chris says yes because of the questions it raises such as “are there kid orphans? Do they miss their family?” And stuff that can make the story more real

Wonders why Kitty is a drunk and why no one is helping her

1:54:33 one of the only times I have ever seen Chris flustered. Someone asked if he always intended to have the Morlocks be created by AoA Dark Beast. Chris screams WHAT!? And the interviewer has to explain the retcon.

He says it makes no sense because Morlocks are just the “leftovers”. the ones who don’t have the good looks or the cool powers. They are the homeless mutants. They don’t need to be created. That takes away from their story

Someone comments “The gambit causing the mutant massacre was the worst retcon” which excited the interviewer

Wants to see writers go off on their own.

1:58:57 most wonderful feeling was to learn people were quing up outside comic book stories the 3rd Thursday of every month an hour before it opened to get the X-men. That should be the aim. To get people so excited and determined to get the next issue that they want to stand in front of a store

Answered a question about inspiration for Kitty and he says John Burn inspired by a friend of his

Someone asks him how he feels about Apocolypse joining the team and stuff and he says something about Isreal prime minister and the deputy? Didn’t fully understand

It’s been 2 hours so he had to leave

next month keep an eye out for a new announcement that will make people really happy. I think it’s the Xtreme X-men squared

Good thread. The Kitty joke was my favorite part. But special shoutout to this relatable quote.

He's complaining about Eternals now

Unprompted
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    He didn’t go “nuts” or anything this is just Chris Claremont. He mentioned he was going to C2E2 in his last interview. He talked about a lot of the same points in a podcast before of which I did some bullet points and posted in the Gambit thread. It’s long. But im going to post it here just so people can see he’s consistent with his curmudgeony. I think he makes a lot of good points about modern marvel and all that but sometimes he can get a bit too negative and bitter overall. I think Chris needs a strong editorial to keep him in check. All that stuff about Gambit seducing Kitty was his original plan along with Gambit and Sinister just being projections from a eternally 12 yo mutant. Anyway this is the bullet points for what he said in a interview
    Thanks for the recap. I saw it trending on Twitter, so it was good to get context and details.

a link to ComicsXF? Those losers are still around? Now I know this is a nontroversy LMAO. I'm sure Leah Williams will be offended on everyone's behalf.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    a link to ComicsXF? Those losers are still around? Now I know this is a nontroversy LMAO. I'm sure Leah Williams will be offended on everyone's behalf.
    Yupp. All for the click-bate.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I'm thankful that he no longer writes contemporary comics.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Huh, that was...something.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I saw it but im more concerned about modern work than an idea man shooting out ideas. I'm more focused on what is actually being released and what it lacks. It's an editor job to edit Claremont. Now writers who talk all big and lie through their teeth in interviews to sound clever I have a bigger problem with. So I'll at least see what the guy delivers like everyone claims we should do for writers even when they aren't actively delivering. Also I don't scour twitter for people personal stuff, or views, just me.

I also never believe 3rd hand summaries as people can't even describe what happens in printed material so I definitely won't believe someone interpretation of something. This reads like one of those xmen unlimited recaps without the tongue in cheek. Lol
    Perfect summary of the way I feel as well
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

The thread is mostly cringe. Whether the recap is objective and it's Claremont being an old ass, or it's a bit too subjective we don't know.
    It's not neither journalistic work or official, so I'll take everything said with a grain of salt.

(for every body saying "he's juste messing around, people don't know a joke nowadays" I think it's a bit disrepectful for the public to do that at a con, tbh)