Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Midnight View Post
    Redis my priority read.
    Great cache. I approve.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Theoretically, yes,...BUT:

...the term "pretentious" is popping up more and more on this board. And I somehow have to agree: Red, Legion's book and Immortal X-Men feel a little bit pretentious...sorry.
    Ok. Definitely LoX is pretentious to the point where I can barely read it. If I'm rolling my eyes at your dialogue or idea your trying to get accross thats not good.

Gillen's Immortal X-Men is less so IMO its just some of his characters ARE pretentious.

Ewing can do no wrong. Sorry not sorry. He's the one writer that actually puts effort into the most minute pieces of canon. Sure Magneto and Storm are HBIC but honeslty they deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Great cache. I approve.
    LOL! That's good.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

I love the amount of love RED is getting lmao

And yeah Red is on the top of the list for me the other two aren't even close.

Immortal comes in at second cause I do like what Gillen is doing with Sinister and Destiny with Hope, Exodus, and Mystique sub plots keeping me entertained.

And then there's X-Men which if I'm being honest I'm only really reading for Jean and Synch. Especially since they booted Polaris off.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Theoretically, yes,...BUT:

I don't really understand the hype for X-Men: Red on this board. It is confusing and all over the place for me. Character designs are horrible...I'm also starting to dislike Storm, who is actually my second favorite character in the books...

I really have enjoyed Immortal: X-Men so far. Although I feel like all characters are speaking with the same exact voice and we do not learn a lot new stuff we do not already know about the council members. It feels like a set-up that will hopefully go somewhere ASAP. I'm impatient with this slow storytelling.

X-Men...too many filler issues for my taste where neither characters nor plot are being developed. It feels like random villain appear and gets quickly beaten...all issues where the main plot have been further developed have been great so far.

More of a mixed bag for me...Yes, I miss Hickman a lot...!

...the term "pretentious" is popping up more and more on this board. And I somehow have to agree: Red, Legion's book and Immortal X-Men feel a little bit pretentious...sorry.
    I'm really curious why you are starting to dislike Storm in Red? I feel like Ewing has been knocking her out the park since SWORD.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I'm really curious why you are starting to dislike Storm in Red? I feel like Ewing has been knocking her out the park since SWORD.
    I don't know Exodus' reasons specifically, but I don't like her portrayal there either because Ewing writes every issue with her the same, with Storm proving to be the invincible badass of the badasses, stronger, braver and owner of the most indomitable will ever, and then doing the same thing over and over again the next one. The only false note on his run, if he was doing it with Cyclops or Wolverine, people would riot.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    I don't know Exodus' reasons specifically, but I don't like her portrayal there either because Ewing writes every issue with her the same, with Storm proving to be the invincible badass of the badasses, stronger, braver and owner of the most indomitable will ever, and then doing the same thing over and over again the next one. The only false note on his run, if he was doing it with Cyclops or Wolverine, people would riot.
    But that's exactly how a few writers wrote cyclops and Logan for years. Why is it a problem when storm is written competently? Storm being sure of herself is the opposite of the last 20 years. It's a refreshing change compared to other writers showing the opposite.

This is surely the strongest 'Flagship Tripartite' we've ever had in the X-Office?

Since X-Treme/New/ Uncanny all ran together in the early 00's I don't think we've ever had such a strong line of 3 books all with 'X-Men' in the title.

X-Men is fun but a little shallow. Larraz and the fill-in artists have brought their A game and Duggan is always a competent writer at his worst and very good at his best. Wish we got a bit more character focus and a little less punching monsters of the week though. Can't help but feel Duggan never really got some of his characters (Laura being the obvious example) before shuffling the roster relativley early on in the run.

X-Men Red is great. I'm enjoying exploring Arrako and Storm's Brotherhood. Only thing holding it back for me is the average art, I like Caselli's work but he's no A-List artist, which I think is holding the title back a little. It's a shame Schiti didn't stick around past the first few issues of S.W.O.R.D, this would be the perfect book for him to go wild with.

Immortal is also great. Werneck is a great talent art wise and I love the more character focussed approach the book is taking in terms of storytelling. But I also love Gillen's Uncanny run and most of his creator owned stuff so maybe I'm just being biased towards one of my favourite creators.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OG Storm View Post
    But that's exactly how a few writers wrote cyclops and Logan for years. Why is it a problem when storm is written competently? Storm being sure of herself is the opposite of the last 20 years. It's a refreshing change compared to other writers showing the opposite.
    It's not merely competence, which would welcome, but we didn't had a single issue centered on Storm that wasn't dedicated exclusively to show how indomitable invincible flawless badass who can do no wrong she is. And many are speculating she'll even kick Isca's ass.

There's nothing interesting done, no nuance or flaws. Cyclops certainly wasn't written that way even in his best moments, Wolverine with very few writers, it's more like Batman by his worst writers or how some fans on these boards want Jean Grey to be written, with FEATS every issue. Good for you if you like it, but his Storm just bores me. Seems he's too much a fanboy to write a more interesting/nuanced take or is afraid of fan reaction.

Mighty Member

It's not merely competence, which would welcome, but we didn't had a single issue centered on Storm that wasn't dedicated exclusively to show how indomitable invincible flawless badass who can do no wrong she is. And many are speculating she'll even kick Isca's ass.

There's nothing interesting done, no nuance or flaws. Cyclops certainly wasn't written that way even in his best moments, Wolverine with very few writers, it's more like Batman by his worst writers or how some fans on these boards want Jean Grey to be written, with FEATS every issue. Good for you if you like it, but his Storm just bores me. Seems he's too much a fanboy to write a more interesting/nuanced take or is afraid of fan reaction.
    I get thinking storm is portrayed as perfect and indomitable in red. I don't see that when I read it but I can understand why some might feel that way. I am just glad this is a storm that learned from her mistakes and took leadership to help as opposed to loving power.I was bored by the constantly flawed and depressed Guggenheim ruin or the Lemire version

Idk I kinda feel like the entire first issue was about her doubting herself, her place on the Great Ring, and the implications of Krakoa’s influence on Arakko. Yes she came out the other end resolved to form a Brotherhood, but we saw how troubled she was with “her throne” throughout the issue.

Fantastic Member

I feel like Red and Immortal are fine at their roles.

we needed a council book and Immortal is doing solid so far. I wish Hickman had done this book before but this works. honestly wish this. this doesn't work as the main book but a good supplement.

Red is the most interesting and consistent but it still hasn't built the main team. it's more X-Men than SWORD was so hopefully it lasts longer.

X-Men is just .... there. I do not have confidence in Duggan to write a team book. Marauders fell flat and this is already. I just don't feel like it's going anywhere and the characters don't feel right.

Spectacular Member

The 1st year of X-Men was very fun and entertaining for me, but definitely did not feel important at all, especially when Red and Immortal started coming out and you saw how grand the themes are (red) and how important stories being brought up were (immortal). That said, I do think year 1 of X-men was more about setting up the groundwork for this new era of x-men villains and the coming out of the res protocols. Now that it's all set up, I think in year 2 that there will be a more straightforward storyline that will be followed and this storyline will be more on the front and center of the book whereas in year 1 the main storyline was just slowly being built in the back while the 'monster of the month' took center stage in each issue. Duggan has already mentioned that after the judgment day tie-ins, X-Men will have an arc dealing with the children of the vault, and then after that "a HUGE superhero story guest-starring some unlikely Marvel characters that I love, and the entire time we have Orchis problems to fight." So I have an optimistic outlook for X-Men and Duggan in this 2nd year. I hope he delivers

The Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelfan1992 View Post
    The 1st year of X-Men was very fun and entertaining for me, but definitely did not feel important at all, especially when Red and Immortal started coming out and you saw how grand the themes are (red) and how important stories being brought up were (immortal). That said, I do think year 1 of X-men was more about setting up the groundwork for this new era of x-men villains and the coming out of the res protocols. Now that it's all set up, I think in year 2 that there will be a more straightforward storyline that will be followed and this storyline will be more on the front and center of the book whereas in year 1 the main storyline was just slowly being built in the back while the 'monster of the month' took center stage in each issue. Duggan has already mentioned that after the judgment day tie-ins, X-Men will have an arc dealing with the children of the vault, and then after that "a HUGE superhero story guest-starring some unlikely Marvel characters that I love, and the entire time we have Orchis problems to fight." So I have an optimistic outlook for X-Men and Duggan in this 2nd year. I hope he delivers
    Things that worry me:
    1)Duggan added 1 more member to his number of members and itÂ’s not like he juggled his previous cast well. Only Synch and Cyclops had anything resembling an arc or growth and it still felt very shallow. So more guest stars? Juggling a huge cast is already problematicÂ….
    2) Art is taking a hit. While I like Cassara and the other guyÂ’s art(forgot his name), they are a step down from Pepe and Pina.
    3) More Orchis? does anyone else find Orchis to be completely boring and unbelievable as villains?

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Things that worry me:
    1)Duggan added 1 more member to his number of members and itÂ’s not like he juggled his previous cast well. Only Synch and Cyclops had anything resembling an arc or growth and it still felt very shallow. So more guest stars? Juggling a huge cast is already problematicÂ….
    2) Art is taking a hit. While I like Cassara and the other guyÂ’s art(forgot his name), they are a step down from Pepe and Pina.
    3) More Orchis? does anyone else find Orchis to be completely boring and unbelievable as villains?
    Hickman had managed to make orchis worrying in house of x then came stasis and feilong and their ridiculous motivation to want to kill mutants made them boring but they were still classic anti-mutants then the x-office decided that out of nowhere , two mutants (moira and brand even if the last one uses orchis), two allies who have always been going to betray their own people for no logical reason and join orchis which I remember aims to exterminate all mutants so she too lol nonsense from the x-office.

Not to mention juda traveler... from orchis no longer made sense in addition to being boring they became ridiculous between caricatured humans and mutants who have nothing to do with it.

Now I just want the mutants to finish them quickly and free moira and brand from this joke lol when the only interesting characters are nimrod and karima two machines programmed to kill there's a problem .

I don't know how the x-office is going to make believe that orchis will be a threat to mutants after judgment day its eternal and its kaiju.