Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Most unlikeable tv characters

Who are your choices for the most unlikeable characters on a tv series?

Here's a list that might help you remember some of them:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/25...rtan-ntp-feeds

Niffleheim

Sheldon Cooper (TBBT). I want to grind him to dust every time he speaks. He is insufferable.
    Kai Winn Adami (DS9). She raises my blood pressure with her religious zealotry and her niceness always triggered too many familiar personal issues lol
    Carrie Bradshaw and Mr. Big (SITC), She was so selfish and so unaware of it that Mr. Big commitment phobic self could dupe her again and again. They were so annoying
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Well, every villain in every well-written TV show ever. Both Joffrey and Ramsey from Game of Thrones come right to mind.

For unlikeable characters who aren't supposed to be villains...these are all characters who are unlikeable but still fun to watch, which is a very difficult tightrope for an actor to walk. So kudos to all these actors.

George Costanza from Seinfeld (Jason Alexander.)
    Gob Bluth on Arrested Development (Will Arnett)
    Edmund Blackadder from Blackadder (Rowan Atkinson)
    Barney Stinson from How I Met Your Mother (Neil Patrick Harris)
    Sawyer from Lost (Josh Holloway)
    Frank Burns from M*A*S*H (Larry Linville)
    Bill McNeal from Newsradio (Phil Hartman)
    Herb Tarlek from WKRP in Cincinnati (Frank Bonner)
    Dan Fielding from Night Court (John Larroquette)
    Louie de Palma from Taxi (Danny DeVito)
    Dr. Gregory House on House (Hugh Laurie)

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Both Joffrey and Ramsey from Game of Thrones come right to mind.
    They do really stand out. The actors don't almost don't get enough credit for how brilliant their performances were.

I remember I was talking to my sister once, and she hated Joffrey so much she almost couldn't admit Gleeson was a great actor (who was achieving everything he was aiming for), for a moment, she seem blinded to the fact that Joffrey wasn't a real person but just a fictional TV character.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-05-2022 at 06:03 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

For me, i would not pick a villain, who are supposed to be hated, or a character whose comedy comes from being insufferable, Like Dwight Shrute or Larry David. I would go with characters they want us to like but instead we can't stand. Hannah from Girls is the top one from that list. Also Elizabeth Keane from the Blacklist.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Its either one of these two:

Miko from Transformers Prime: This character reached a level of annoying that there hasn't been a word invented yet to describe it. Not only that, but she was absolutely useless too.

Raffi from Picard: While I loathed Burnham and Jiratti, Raffi reached this level of toxic I didn't think possible. I wouldn't trust this character to swab the decks let alone give her a high rank in Starfleet! Shame too, because I like Raffi's Actress, but I really don't want to see this character ever again (hopefully her role is extremely minor in Season 3 if I give it a chance)
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 08-05-2022 at 06:09 AM.

Some are unlikable for good reasons, (good writing and acting) like Joffrey and Ramsey in "GoT"

Some are unlikable because they're just ... awful like Erkel in "Family Matters" and Han on "Two Broke Girls."

Jesse Pinkman on Breaking Bad used to set my teeth on edge. I kept thinking how much "better" Walt's life would be if he just killed him.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

As a category, anyone who is consistently an untrustworthy idiot screwup of even the simplest things. I get that they drive the plot but I don't find the "Gilligan" types to be charming lovable losers at all.

Sticking with the "we're supposed to love them" approach, I'm going to say Cam and Mitchell on Modern Family. I remember them as so unlikable as a couple and Cam was unlikable as a person. Could not watch past the first season, so maybe they got better, but utterly insufferable and offensive to me as a gay dude.

The whole cast of Seinfeld.

The Mom on Malcom in the Middle.

Carrie on King of Queens.

Chandler on Friends. Not funny and kind of a jerk.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The whole cast of Seinfeld.

The Mom on Malcom in the Middle.

Carrie on King of Queens.

Chandler on Friends. Not funny and kind of a jerk.
    Agreed on all fronts. Also...

Chloe Sullivan from Smallville

Guilan from Star Trek: TNG

Crystal and Gary from Roseanne

Lance Hornsby and Sebastian Milton from the Walking Dead. It's funny, cuz there's been characters before them that were meant to be hated, but those two in particular have really rubbed me wrong.

The two parents of Aston Kutcher's character from That 70's Show.

Homelander from The Boys
    Last edited by Dr. Skeleton; 08-05-2022 at 07:42 PM.

Niffleheim

I just checked out the msn list and I can't say that I agree with most of the characters on the list however I'm going to add Felicity Porter in Felicity. The most cringiest and creepiest creep that was ever written and the audiences were forced to sympathize with her stalking the object of her obsession to his college/university to continue her fantasy of him. Every time she crossed paths with him I wanted to die or the earth to swallow me whole. She was so unlikable maybe I would have liked her if she was bad because I remember loving a bad character by the name Phyllis Summers in Young and the Restless who stalked the object of her obsession and I found her extremely entertaining and sometimes even sympathetic.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Did they ever show Aston Kutcher's parents on that 70s show? I remember kitty and Red and Donnas Parents.

Any way.

How about Michael Scott on The Office. I hated everything about him. I enjoy the show when he is not in it. It was a solid cast and a lot of them worked well but he just killed every scene.

Raj on Big Bang. Not only the least likeable character on the show. But to me all of tv itself.
    Last edited by babyblob; 08-05-2022 at 08:13 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Grandma Walton on The Waltons.
    Mrs Olsen on Little House on the Prairiie.
    Lwaxana Troi from Star Trek.
    Jordan Kent on Superman and Lois.
    Cersei on Game of thrones.
    Medusa on The Inhumans.
    Velma and Scrappy on Scooby Doo.
    Last edited by Witchfan; 08-05-2022 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    Agreed on all fronts. Also...

Chloe Sullivan from Smallville

Guilan from Star Trek: TNG

Crystal and Gary from Roseanne

Lance Hornsby and Sebastian Milton from the Walking Dead. It's funny, cuz there's been characters before them that were meant to be hated, but those two in particular have really rubbed me wrong.

The two parents of Aston Kutcher's character from That 70's Show.

Homelander from The Boys
    Chloe Sullivan? She's not Allison Mack you know.