Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Peg Bundy and Marcy D'Arcy from Married With Children.

I loathed both of them to the point that I still won't watch reruns of MWC because of them.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    How about Michael Scott on The Office. I hated everything about him. I enjoy the show when he is not in it. It was a solid cast and a lot of them worked well but he just killed every scene.

Raj on Big Bang. Not only the least likeable character on the show. But to me all of tv itself.
    I’m surprised about Raj. The writers made him unlucky but I never found him unlikable. What specifically made him so bad for you?

I thought most everyone on The Office was unlikable and that was the point. Another show I gave up on in the first season.

Niffleheim

Raj as an immigrant was made into a mute around women, he didn't know the difference between what things are considered masculine or feminine because the pop culture he consumed seemed mostly female-centric and was unsuccessful with women whether sober or drunk. I hated the writing he got MORE than the character.
    Last edited by Tofali; 08-06-2022 at 12:22 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    I’m surprised about Raj. The writers made him unlucky but I never found him unlikable. What specifically made him so bad for you?

I thought most everyone on The Office was unlikable and that was the point. Another show I gave up on in the first season.
    For me it just got old fast. 4 seasons of not talking to woman unless he is drinking. His insecurity was way over the top. Every time a woman even smiled at him he was planning their marriage and naming their kids. He gets a girlfriend at last in Emily and messes that up. He gets his dad to give him arranged marriage and he again messes that up.

So they over played the shy lonely nerd to start with. Then he turned into shy insecure nerd. Planned to marry any woman that smiled at him, Lucy ditched him on a date and tried to on another and he still wanted her. Even after she broke up with him and then had coffee with him after he was fiending to take her back.

The other characters at least had growth. Amy went from a Sheldon clone to having a personality and friends, Howard went from sexed up perv to loving father and husband Even if he was still a bit of a dummy.

Raj did not only have any growth but his character got worse.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Raj did not only have any growth but his character got worse.
    Okay, I get all that and can’t disagree.

Retired

On THE OFFICE, Andy is the most unlikeable.

When the show started, Michael Scott was intentionally not very likeable, to follow the example of the original OFFICE, but they realized that wasn't working and made Michael likeable. Yes he does awful things, but there's usually always an endearing moment in an episode where you can forgive Michael.

Andy didn't need to be likeable when he was introduced because he had a limited arc. And if he had stayed away after that, it would be okay that he was an unlikeable guy. But they brought him back and all the effort to make him sympathetic just never worked and it looked like they didn't know what to do with him. Which made him all the more annoying.

When I went back to rewatch the series, once Andy showed up it killed the joy for me. Now I can rewatch it again, listening to the Office Ladies, and appreciate the work that went into those episodes--but Andy is still the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    Agreed on all fronts. Also...

Chloe Sullivan from Smallville

Guilan from Star Trek: TNG

Crystal and Gary from Roseanne

Lance Hornsby and Sebastian Milton from the Walking Dead. It's funny, cuz there's been characters before them that were meant to be hated, but those two in particular have really rubbed me wrong.

The two parents of Aston Kutcher's character from That 70's Show.

Homelander from The Boys
    Chloe Sullivan wasn’t bad. That show’s version of Lana Lang was garbage. The rest of the female cast was good.

BANNED

Going with the "not intentionally unlikable" standard I'd say:

Tara from Buffy (brought up in thread about characters I was glad they killed off).

Ezekiel from "the Walking Dead".

Shadow Moon (and his wife would qualify, but think she was intended to be unlikable) from "American Gods".

Honestly a poop-ton of "main"/POV characters, they tend to have to be bland and uninteresting so they can be broadly relatable, but others include Ted Mosby from HIMYM, J.D. from Scrubs, Buffy from Buffy, all of the kids on Stranger Things, probably many more.

Khal Drogo from GoT.

All that pops to my head, from shows I do like and that again are characters not meant to be disliked.

^Walking Dead has had quite a few. A lot of the original Alexandrians (The Monroe Brothers, the entire Anderson family, Ethan Embry's Carter, Nicholas the guy who we thought got Glenn killed near the dumpster etc.). Then of course there was Lizzie the psychotic sister and the Termites.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 08-06-2022 at 01:16 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Wanda from the Bernie Mac show. I've brought her up before ages ago on this very board in a similar thread before the boards got rebooted. I still remember lol

Most cops from TV shows, yes even the ones from The Wire. But the most egregious ones was the detectives and and D.As from Law & Order. Almost ALL of them were smug self righteous dicks whom some should even be in jail themselves. Ironically

Naomi from The Expanse

Jon Snow, he's such a bland generic protagonist. But that's probably why he was popular, he was a pretty straight forward hero as opposed to the more morally complex characters.

Daryl Dixon, so clichéd but his popularity isn't surprising tho.

Clair, and Clif Huxtable, especially Clair. I said what I said.

Thor from the MCU

Rocket from the MCU

Captain Marvel, I'm just not into Brie Larsson. And I didn't care for her portrayal of the character.

Darcy from the MCU

Drax from the MCU

King Shark from DCEU

Peacemaker from the DCEU

Nick Clark from Fear The Walking Dead. At least during the first season. His popularity was fuckin BAFFLING!

too many soap opera characters to mention lmao

Horatio Cain from but I guess that's covered already from the above entry about most TV show cops.

Tiffany Malloy from Unhappily Ever After

Whitley Gilbert from A Different World. There's no way they could sell that character to me and make me like her.

Not counting obvious villains:

Sookie and Mrs. Kim in Gilmore Girls
    Sheldon's mother in BBT
    Mark Anthony in Rome
    Jock Ewing from Dallas - this is the winner. I hated his guts so damn much, I was so glad when he died (I didn't watch in real time, so I don't have to feel bad that it was because the actor died.) Not a fan of Miss Ellie either, they were both horrible people who ruined their entire family.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post

Sheldon's mother in BBT
    Mark Anthony in Rome
    Jock Ewing from Dallas - this is the winner. I hated his guts so damn much, I was so glad when he died (I didn't watch in real time, so I don't have to feel bad that it was because the actor died.) Not a fan of Miss Ellie either, they were both horrible people who ruined their entire family.
    See I liked Sheldons mom. But it was Lenerds mom I did not like. But lets me honest. Howards mom was the best character that was not part of the main gang on the whole show.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

See I liked Sheldons mom. But it was Lenerds mom I did not like. But lets me honest. Howards mom was the best character that was not part of the main gang on the whole show.
    My g/f explains the character like this: You'll hate Leonard's mom, but you're supposed to hate her.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post

Sheldon's mother in BBT
    Mark Anthony in Rome
    I enjoyed watching the character but in real life I don't think If I could tolerate her more than a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    My g/f explains the character like this: You'll hate Leonard's mom, but you're supposed to hate her.
    I didn't hate her either. I understood both parents' perspectives it is the sons I couldn't stand.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Your GF is 100 percent correct on that.