Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Default Zaslav's era could be the worst time for WW.

This man seems to approach things in a mysoginy way. He also seems to think that Diversity is not important. So, does anybody here think his influence will be good for the WW verse? Based on what i have seen. I think we better prepare ourselves to see more of angry warrior and weak woman. That needs the good hearted men to teach her lessons about peace. And the punching bag that will constantly be trashed around by superman and other super powered characters, specially men.
    Last edited by WonderLight789; 08-05-2022 at 07:02 AM.

I haven't seen enough to weigh in. He's a bean counter though so the one I feel certain about is his leaning toward low risk and high rewa4d

I doubt that he will get involved in the creative process like that. I suppose it will be more clear once they announce who will be overseeing the DC projects.

Thread here is probably jumping to conclusions, though I have seen comments in other areas of the internet saying Zaslav isn't necessarily prioritizing "representation," which doesn't necessarily bother me* a whole ton unless it means bad portrayals of minorities, etc. Plus, under the prior regime WW's portrayals fall all over the spectrum of good and not good.

*To clarify, look at what the previous regime was planning with the Super franchise. It checks the diversity boxes, I guess, but I can't say any of those ideas are particularly good.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 08-05-2022 at 07:27 AM.

Zaslav reminds me of when the old Moguls all retired or died, and the Studios were bought out by corporations who were bean counters, and the industry went through a mostly creatively dead period with a few gems until the New Hollywood era.

I think if this was 2015 even, I'd be more worried because Zaslav doe also remind me of Perlmutter who hated projects when POC and Women leads due to the belief they wouldn't be profitable and sell toys. But thank God Feige got him pushed out and no matter what certain people say Black Panther and Captain Marvel were billion-dollar films. You can't claim diversity doesn't sell when Marvel made two films that starred a Black Man and a Woman, and both did better than any Superman film outside of Superman 78 (When adjusted for inflation) and Superman is my favorite character.

I don't think he'll be pushing for diverse films and taking risk sadly, but WW was already proven to be a sold brand and should be safe IMO.

I can't imagine anything worse for her than the Mod and New 52 eras. But I'm always ready to be surprised

Maybe what he means by diversity is not caring about how iconic characters iconic looks? I mean after all supergirl's actor looked nothing like her or Constantine. Shouldn't they try to match has much has possible
    How the characters look too?

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Based on responses to Batgirl screenings and a rumoured Supergirl movie (with Sasha Calle) following the Flash, I feel like Zaslov thinks he (and DC) are dodging a bullet.

He says he has a 10 year plan, and maybe that plan reboots the DCEU after the Flash movie, or maybe just a solid reset with the core characters in Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. Probably Aquaman also based on how much his 1st movie earned. He has said he wants to follow the structure that Marvel laid out with their movies.

Don't really see Zaslav getting involved in on creative decisions like what most of the first post brings up.

The dude was a trump voter that went on record of wanting to "un-cancel" JK Rowlling lol. Do not trust or defend this man yet. He also was behind the sucess of great TV like.... Honey Boo Boo and the 90 Day Finance universe (yes you heard me right)

Don't be mistaken, we are going to get a very bog standard, soulless, corporatized versions of these characters. Diana will maintain her secondary status to the other big guns. We are going to get the typical strong woman Hollywood archetype. She is stilling going to be Zeus's daughter, any smaller projects that includes her mythos (amazons miniseries included) will be 100% shelved and untouched because it wouldn't be a "big event film that cost over 100 million" in his mind.

The only, and I mean ONLY hope is with this Fiege type he wants to hire. Which will probably also be a soulless corporate stooge btw, given his recent fires and hires.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Wouldn't some prefer WW to dissappear into the ether than be treated a certain way? So it could be a good thing...

But no, i don't see this being any worst than the previous regime. He's named WW as being important to the DC/WB brand and featured her logo in the investment call.

That's more of a step up than the previous boss who thought females don't sell or the person before that person who put a ban on female dtvs after WW 09.

Basically things will either stay the same or get better but i doubt they'll get worse.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    The dude was a trump voter that went on record of wanting to "un-cancel" JK Rowlling lol. Do not trust or defend this man yet. He also was behind the sucess of great TV like.... Honey Boo Boo and the 90 Day Finance universe (yes you heard me right)

Don't be mistaken, we are going to get a very bog standard, soulless, corporatized versions of these characters. Diana will maintain her secondary status to the other big guns. We are going to get the typical strong woman Hollywood archetype. She is stilling going to be Zeus's daughter, any smaller projects that includes her mythos (amazons miniseries included) will be 100% shelved and untouched because it wouldn't be a "big event film that cost over 100 million" in his mind.

The only, and I mean ONLY hope is with this Fiege type he wants to hire. Which will probably also be a soulless corporate stooge btw, given his recent fires and hires.
    I generally like your posts, but why get political about it? Are there conservatives/republicans that read and buy comics? A famous quote came by of Michael Jordan once when he said that republicans buy shoes also.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Wouldn't some prefer WW to dissappear into the ether than be treated a certain way? So it could be a good thing...

But no, i don't see this being any worst than the previous regime. He's named WW as being important to the DC/WB brand and featured her logo in the investment call.

That's more of a step up than the previous boss who thought females don't sell or the person before that person who put a ban on female dtvs after WW 09.

Basically things will either stay the same or get better but i doubt they'll get worse.
    Lipservice. That is the only thing Wonder Woman gets from WB and DC.

I am not gonna lie: the fact that a film starring a black Hispanic woman as Batgirl was what he thought the DC Brand should be protected from, while it's still business as usual for The Flash, a film starring a very violent non-binary white person who has been repeatedly accused of being a groomer. How would that NOT be something that your brand needs to be protected from? I am so confused.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    This man seems to approach things in a mysoginy way. He also seems to think that Diversity is not important. So, does anybody here think his influence will be good for the WW verse? Based on what i have seen. I think we better prepare ourselves to see more of angry warrior and weak woman. That needs the good hearted men to teach her lessons about peace. And the punching bag that will constantly be trashed around by superman and other super powered characters, specially men.
    I've been hearing similar assessments from people inside the industry. They say that he has a very conservative bend (like most filthy rich people to be honest) and doesn't really see the point or value of diversity when he can cater to what he sees as the majority, white conservative Christians (especially men) and tap into their resources and make enormous profit.

We'll see if that strategy works for him and for the company. I can say for certain that I am opposed to that vision of the world and will not support, financially or otherwise, media that erases or stereotypes a significant portion of the population.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.