Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    There is an ignore button. Also, this is a discussion board for all WW fans to talk about what they feel is awesome or awful about WW comics.. Not everyone will be in agreement about all things WW 100 % of the time.
    TBH, I do find the ramblings and never ending conspiracy theories of said poster amusing from time to time. They're just so...single minded. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Is it something to celebrate? The Batman was a genuinely great movie, certainly more deserving of a billion than Aquaman or NWH. It also came out on the tail end of that really crazy Omicron wave at the beginning of this year which likely affected its BO total.
    Yeah, this just seems petty, quite frankly.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 08-10-2022 at 11:02 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    The bulletproof Batman is problematic. Here is the idiot Batman running into a bunch of thugs and mooks who are riddling him with shots and going point blank at him and he tanks it like it is no problem. I didn't know he was Ironman, or Superman for that matter. On the other hand as is often debated on these boards, we have a mythical superhero in Wonder Woman who has to worry about a ricochet from Superman that might kill her.

Where is the suspense now when Batman is bulletproof? He has never had that type of armor before in the movies that I know of, and whenever he did get shot it would knock the air out of him like it did Michael Keaton in the first Batman.

I am not sure why from a technical standpoint you would say it was a well-crafted movie, but to each his own.
    All very fair points, I agree with you. At least in concept the allure of Batman is that he’s human and vulnerable (though in execution his plot armor is stronger than any superpower). It doesn’t break the movie for me but I agree that he should’ve at least gotten the wind knocked out of him. I’m also with you on the bulletproof debate but let’s keep that can of worms tightly shut…

And I say it’s well-crafted because it has great cinematography and sound design, really good performances, strong character development, and exceptional cast chemistry. Even though I think it tried to cram in a bit too much story I thought it was well paced and suspenseful. Very stylized with striking comic book visuals but actually had thematic substance and understood Batman’s principles, unlike Snyder’s films. It’s not a perfect movie by any means but it’s certainly a welcome respite in a genre that’s been overrun by soulless, cookie cutter CGI-fests.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Is it something to celebrate? The Batman was a genuinely great movie, certainly more deserving of a billion than Aquaman or NWH. It also came out on the tail end of that really crazy Omicron wave at the beginning of this year which likely affected its BO total.
    No movie "deserves" to make a billion more than another.

Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    I can't imagine any Black or Brown young person just starting out being able to gleefully get away with all of this, much less keep their starring role in a soon-to-be blockbuster film. Just out of general principle, I will not pay to see the Flash movie, just because I am aware of how harmful the film's star is. I'd feel icky paying to see it.
    Ezra isnt a young person just starting out. They're established and the star of the movie thats completed. That's the major difference.
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 08-11-2022 at 08:26 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Just out of general principle, I will not pay to see the Flash movie, just because I am aware of how harmful the film's star is. I'd feel icky paying to see it
    Same. It's the same reason I always have to change the station whenever a Michael Jackson song comes on the radio now after that HBO documentary.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

when "Flash" bombs, what do you think the top brass at WBD is going to do? you think they'd obviously know or at least have a plan, right?
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Ezra isnt a young person just starting out. He's established and the star of the movie thats completed. That's the major difference.
    What I understood by "young person just starting out" is "not a major star yet." And Miller may not be a young person just starting out, but they still have not broken out as either a box office draw or as a critically beloved, multiple-award-nominee marquee name. They are still a working actor in mostly supporting roles in ensemble films whose biggest chance at solo stardom is precisely The Flash (which, theoretically speaking, is an IP that in and of itself will be the main draw beyond who plays the character).

I can't imagine any Black or Brown young person just starting out being able to gleefully get away with all of this, much less keep their starring role in a soon-to-be blockbuster film. Just out of general principle, I will not pay to see the Flash movie, just because I am aware of how harmful the film's star is. I'd feel icky paying to see it.
    I think it really depends on a lot of things. Case in point, for those who don't follow the NFL, Deshaun Watson is a talented, 26-year-old Black quarterback. He also happens to have a ton of baggage, namely over 20 accusations of sexual harassment and/or assault. Yet, the Cleveland Browns still thought it'd be a good idea to trade for him, and then extend his contract by giving him five years and $230 million in guaranteed money. And here's the kicker, they knew he was going to be suspended by the NFL for this upcoming season for a pretty lengthy amount of time so they put over 99% of that guaranteed money in years two through five so that he could collect on almost the entire amount.

So really, I think it mostly depends on whose money you're playing with. If this movie was done on the cheap, axing it would've been quick and easy.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    I'm sure batman is more iconic and well known than him by now. WW sells tons of merchandising too. And has been doing better at Box Office. Yet she still gets thrown under the bus in favor of superman in all JL stories. So yeah. He is holding her back. Because sexist people of the industry still can't let go of white straight privilage. And this doesn't mean that he has to be cancelled. It means that WW is not allowed to have the same amount of exposure, projects and of course power level. She is put in her place by Hierarchy to be the punching bag of straight white men mostly. Even when she has done more than enough proving her potential as a franchise.
    Hahahaha, no. There is no superhero more iconic than Superman. From the red cape to his pose, and the S insignia; I see it almost everywhere. The archetype of many superhero characters. And the current "Evi" Superman era. If Superman didn't exist, who knows where manga would be. Sure Batman is more popular, but Batman wouldn't exist without Superman.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Honestly, I think all of this is over-blown. The fact he's going to follow a ten-year plan similar to the MCU mostly means: "I'm going to play it safe as **** to make this $43 billion merger work. Try to impress the shareholders and potential investors." The man is going to cut and ax anything he thinks will hurt it. The current stock price, as I type this, is at $13.08 (it went down from $14). Zaslav promised to find $3 billion dollars in savings. That's all this is about the stock price. He WANTS to make the merger work. Maybe go out like Bob Iger? Granted Bob Iger purchased already established properties like Star Wars and Pixar. Marvel was a gamble back in 2009 since Iron-Man was their only successful film. and WB/DC has been a mess for a while now. There's a lot being thrown around, and most of it is confusing. One minute he's sexist and racist for canceling Batgirl, and the other he's given the approval of the race-swapped Supergirl. Anyways, I think the whole thing shows why we should stay in our lane.
    And no, this is not going to be the worst era for Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I think it really depends on a lot of things. Case in point, for those who don't follow the NFL, Deshaun Watson is a talented, 26-year-old Black quarterback. He also happens to have a ton of baggage, namely over 20 accusations of sexual harassment and/or assault. Yet, the Cleveland Browns still thought it'd be a good idea to trade for him, and then extend his contract by giving him five years and $230 million in guaranteed money. And here's the kicker, they knew he was going to be suspended by the NFL for this upcoming season for a pretty lengthy amount of time so they put over 99% of that guaranteed money in years two through five so that he could collect on almost the entire amount.

So really, I think it mostly depends on whose money you're playing with. If this movie was done on the cheap, axing it would've been quick and easy.
    Point taken. It’s a shame that we live in a rape culture so that rape is treated as a rite of passage, rapists are rewarded for their behavior, and rape is often not treated as a crime, neither legally nor morally.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Hahahaha, no. There is no superhero more iconic than Superman. From the red cape to his pose, and the S insignia; I see it almost everywhere. The archetype of many superhero characters. And the current "Evi" Superman era. If Superman didn't exist, who knows where manga would be. Sure Batman is more popular, but Batman wouldn't exist without Superman.
    Hahaha yes. Batman is more well known. Impactful, acclaimed, successful and iconic.

Manga? Mangas have been doing great without Superman. And they don't need him. Bleach, One Piece, DBZ; Sailor Moon, Naruto, Ranma, Inuyasha, etc. So many mangas that destroy Superman and any other comic character in global sales. They don't need comic characters. They are in a league of their own. Comic characters only saving grace is live action movies. If they had to depend on comic book sales, lol they would be doomed to be only known in the US for the most part.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...rs-1235196919/

Warner Bros. Weighing Fate of ‘The Flash’ as Its Ezra Miller Problem Grows

The studio ponders three paths forward for the expensive DC film, with a worst case — if unlikely — scenario including the project being scrapped.

A source with knowledge of the situation says the studio appears to be preparing for three possible scenarios.

First, Warners has received indications that the 29-year-old Miller, whose mother has accompanied the actor in recent days, will seek professional help after returning home to their farm in Vermont after being away. If that help happens, Miller, who goes by they/them pronouns, could give an interview at some point explaining their erratic behavior over the past few years. The actor could then do limited press for The Flash, and the movie would open in cinemas as planned.

The second scenario: Even if Miller doesn’t reach out for help, Warners could still release the film. But don’t expect Miller to play a prominent role in terms of marketing and publicity. Nor would Miller be The Flash going forward, as the role would be recast in future projects.

The third case: Things go from bad to worse, with the situation with Miller deteriorating. This would see Warners killing the movie outright, as it could not be reshot with a different actor. Miller plays multiple characters and is in almost every scene. Scrapping a $200 million film would be an unprecedented move.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Honestly, I think all of this is over-blown. The fact he's going to follow a ten-year plan similar to the MCU mostly means: "I'm going to play it safe as **** to make this $43 billion merger work. Try to impress the shareholders and potential investors." The man is going to cut and ax anything he thinks will hurt it. The current stock price, as I type this, is at $13.08 (it went down from $14). Zaslav promised to find $3 billion dollars in savings. That's all this is about the stock price. He WANTS to make the merger work. Maybe go out like Bob Iger? Granted Bob Iger purchased already established properties like Star Wars and Pixar. Marvel was a gamble back in 2009 since Iron-Man was their only successful film. and WB/DC has been a mess for a while now. There's a lot being thrown around, and most of it is confusing. One minute he's sexist and racist for canceling Batgirl, and the other he's given the approval of the race-swapped Supergirl. Anyways, I think the whole thing shows why we should stay in our lane.
    And no, this is not going to be the worst era for Wonder Woman.
    We will see. DC-WB trackrecord with WW is terrible. And this guy, based on what i know about him, doesn't look like a good influence for the WW franchise.
    Last edited by WonderLight789; 08-11-2022 at 07:42 AM.