Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
Ahh yes, the ironclad promise of a 10-year plan. Wait...

Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 5.03.43 PM.jpg

It's so wild that they haven't learned their lesson with this. Another thing to keep in mind is that all of those films were self-contained - no big cinematic universe ties, no obvious set-up for future movies. The answer is right in front of them, but they're so greedy in the futile pursuit of Avengers-level success that they won't think about any other strategy. At least Universal knew when to quit with the Dark Universe fiasco.

I'm pretty confident that The Flash is gonna be a huge flop, and I have a feeling they're going to take the exact wrong lessons from it and think, "Maybe if we take no creative risks, only make movies starring white men, and throw more money at it, we'll do better next time." Never mind the fact that their 2 most successful films starred a Native Hawaiian man and a woman, both playing characters who for many years were considered jokes at worst and unsellable at best...

I also think it's really presumptuous of them to think Black Adam is going to provide a foundation for anything. Unless it gets good reviews (unlikely tbh), it's almost certainly going to be a JL/MOS-scale disappointment and it's dumb to stake the next decade of films on a 50-year-old who's juicing harder than the entire Russian Olympic team.

If Harley Quinn gets canceled, I'm rioting.

(Which, speaking of, is by far DC's most popular animated show even though it has loads of political commentary and stars 2 bisexual women in a WLW relationship. Surely that's a sign that diversity and politics aren't a death sentence...)
Politics, social commentary, and diversity isn't a death sentence, you just need to do them right with the right people. Like a "girl power/feminist" moment in say the Avengers Endgame scene with all the ladies, is again bad rep, it was ham fisted and there to say "hey, we at marvel hear you, we get women, look at how many we have."

DC so caught up with playing catch up they decided to be trend followers not trend setters. But hey, maybe the old rich white guy who is pretty conservative that has pretty much only hired other rich white guys will make a great decision in hiring a diverse group people to represent the freshly new diverse DC universe... I'll be holding my breath.

Imagine the line of thinking to fold HBOmax into Discovery+, I get that Discovery is this guy's legacy, but the viewer ship numbers aren't a comparison.