Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Ahh yes, the ironclad promise of a 10-year plan. Wait...

Attachment 123649

It's so wild that they haven't learned their lesson with this. Another thing to keep in mind is that all of those films were self-contained - no big cinematic universe ties, no obvious set-up for future movies. The answer is right in front of them, but they're so greedy in the futile pursuit of Avengers-level success that they won't think about any other strategy. At least Universal knew when to quit with the Dark Universe fiasco.

I'm pretty confident that The Flash is gonna be a huge flop, and I have a feeling they're going to take the exact wrong lessons from it and think, "Maybe if we take no creative risks, only make movies starring white men, and throw more money at it, we'll do better next time." Never mind the fact that their 2 most successful films starred a Native Hawaiian man and a woman, both playing characters who for many years were considered jokes at worst and unsellable at best...

I also think it's really presumptuous of them to think Black Adam is going to provide a foundation for anything. Unless it gets good reviews (unlikely tbh), it's almost certainly going to be a JL/MOS-scale disappointment and it's dumb to stake the next decade of films on a 50-year-old who's juicing harder than the entire Russian Olympic team.

If Harley Quinn gets canceled, I'm rioting.

(Which, speaking of, is by far DC's most popular animated show even though it has loads of political commentary and stars 2 bisexual women in a WLW relationship. Surely that's a sign that diversity and politics aren't a death sentence...)
    Politics, social commentary, and diversity isn't a death sentence, you just need to do them right with the right people. Like a "girl power/feminist" moment in say the Avengers Endgame scene with all the ladies, is again bad rep, it was ham fisted and there to say "hey, we at marvel hear you, we get women, look at how many we have."

DC so caught up with playing catch up they decided to be trend followers not trend setters. But hey, maybe the old rich white guy who is pretty conservative that has pretty much only hired other rich white guys will make a great decision in hiring a diverse group people to represent the freshly new diverse DC universe... I'll be holding my breath.

Imagine the line of thinking to fold HBOmax into Discovery+, I get that Discovery is this guy's legacy, but the viewer ship numbers aren't a comparison.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    So...let's say it is about 37% hardcore democrat and 37% hardcore republican with the rest calling themselves independent. The numbers may vary, but that is roughly what they usually are. So you are saying that 37% of 300 million is just going to go out and burn all stuff related to kneeling sports figures? Come on now, stop the generalizations. If you go by twitters extremely loud progressive voices, you would think that all of America is under the thumb of AOC and the radical leftists. In both cases, it is an extremely small amount yet they have the loudest voices. I doubt there is a huge percentage of people that are really swayed either way.

Stop with the hyperbole. Give Zaslav a chance. If you think he is going to sink the business then wait and see. Otherwise, he seems like a person that is going to try and make consistent money winners with a legitimate plan (10 year). Here is hoping that he gets the right, creative people in control because that has been sorely lacking for DC. Maybe even a cohesive strategy on the comicbook side as well.
    His trackrecord showing that he seems to be ok with misogyny, and doesn't care for diversity. And the fact that lipservice like calling WW important to later throw her under the bus is nothing new. All of this makes us believe things won't be good for WW.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    Race and racism are truly the most bizarre and unhealthy things Europe ever created.
    Europe didn't create racism and race. That has existed since ancient times. It's present in every part of the world. For example, The Ottomans and Arabs preferred white slaves instead of black slaves. Because they were more valuable and beautiful to them. They even allowed white slaves to gain their freedom and rise to higher functions of power, but black slaves couldn't. In one instance a sultan complained because he got a black slave instead of a white one.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    His trackrecord showing that he seems to be ok with misogyny, and doesn't care for diversity. And the fact that lipservice like calling WW important to later throw her under the bus is nothing new. All of this makes us believe things won't be good for WW.
    Probably best to save the complaints for if/when he does it, not before. As of now, what you complain about is not "fact."

I am looking forward to the future, BUT with tempered expectations. If suddenly, all the films that end up being canceled are female-led and/or starring POCs (Zatanna, Black Canary, Supergirl, Blue Beetle or, Gaea forbid, Wonder Woman 3!), I will be very suspicious. And yes, I know that WW3 was greenlit, but we all know that was by the regime from which a lot of execs have already been fired. And despite the Wonder Woman namedrop by Zaslav, I am still not entirely convinced that he will focus on her like she deserves: with respect, empathy, and making her a formidable superhero, like befits comic books' most iconic female character. At the end of the day, we will always have the comics, I know.
    Last edited by HestiasHearth; 08-05-2022 at 10:08 PM.

I'm not going to freak out over hypotheticals. I'll freak out over things that actually happen.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    Speaking of Flash:

New Details About Ezra Miller's Cult Leader-like Behavior Surface

New allegations surrounding The Flash's Ezra Miller suggest that the actor ran a cult-like sanctuary during their time in Reykjavik, Iceland.

https://www.cbr.com/ezra-miller-cult...ader-behavior/

Hmmmmmm. You think he took that bizarre shirt smelling Aquaman scene as prescriptive?

Honestly, for me it's not a change of perspective because Ive allways despised Warner Bros. I dont trust them to do anything at all with Wonder Woman, and Im already enyojing WW and WW84 like a duology because, even if my love for Patty Jenkins is infinite, I wont trust on WB releasing a WW3 movie until I see the trailer

And heck, sometimes even with that releases are not safe

It’ll all hinge on the execution of a Marvel-esque approach, but that’ll require trusting a Feige-like being to bring forward a solid vision and tone for a shared DCCU that weaves in and out of films and episodic series.

It can be done, but the creative and storytelling trust will need to be there and who knows if he’ll be able to get out of his own way to do that.

DC’s characters are big and iconic enough that they can support multiple versions at the same time, which might be a good strategy point. For instance:

You can have the DCCU shared universe version of Batman that stars in films and shows up in series.

Pattinson’s The Batman version showing up in those films and series, ostensibly The Batman universe.

A Batman in a shared DC universe animated slate of films.

One-off Batman animated films/series based specific comics storylines.

Another Batman: The Animated Series style series.

Most of this has almost all occurred anyway and I think Superman and Wonder Woman could pursue a similar strategy. General audiences are superhero educated enough at this point to understand that tones and styles and vibes for the characters can be different based on the story being told.

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    Europe didn't create racism and race. That has existed since ancient times. It's present in every part of the world. For example, The Ottomans and Arabs preferred white slaves instead of black slaves. Because they were more valuable and beautiful to them. They even allowed white slaves to gain their freedom and rise to higher functions of power, but black slaves couldn't. In one instance a sultan complained because he got a black slave instead of a white one.
    I don’t want to derail the topic, but I wanted to share for anyone interested that there are lots of resources on the web that discuss race and explicit racism being a construct of Europe beginning in the Middle Ages and during the Renaissance, Reformation, etc. and started as messed up religious and scientific justifications for discriminating against and enslaving people. Colonization and imperialism doubled down on it as justification for its actions against indigenous peoples. An example being the U.S., where race and racism were built into its systems and institutions for the country to “function.” And all that functioning is part of the dysfunction the U.S. is still perpetrating against and causing harm to BIPOC citizens to this day. There’s a lot of accountability, reconciliation, demolishing and rebuilding into something new that needs to be done to achieve an equitable society.

That last sentence being something I think Wonder Woman would be into doing. She’s a very transformative character when you look at what she stands for or allows.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 08-06-2022 at 10:48 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I don’t want to derail the topic, but I wanted to share for anyone interested that there are lots of resources on the web that discuss race and explicit racism being a construct of Europe beginning in the Middle Ages and during the Renaissance, Reformation, etc. and started as messed up religious and scientific justifications for discriminating against and enslaving people. Colonization and imperialism doubled down on it as justification for its actions against indigenous peoples. An example being the U.S., where race and racism were built into its systems and institutions for the country to “function.” And all that functioning is part of the dysfunction the U.S. is still perpetrating against and causing harm to BIPOC citizens to this day. There’s a lot of accountability, reconciliation, demolishing and rebuilding into something new that needs to be done to achieve an equitable society.

That last sentence being something I think Wonder Woman would be into doing. She’s a very transformative character when you look at what she stands for or allows.
    Yes but there is also tons of information on how Asians and Middle Eastern people were colonizing way before the Europeans did. In Islam it is allowed to enslave non-Muslim people and treat woman as a property of a man. The Ottoman Empire colonized and occupied the Balkans for 500 years. That's why the Balkans are the least developed part of Europe. Before that, Spain and Portugal were occupied by the Moors and Arabs for 700 years. But unlike the Balkans, they managed to defeat and drive the Moors and Arabs from their lands. Only 6 Western European countries colonized. The rest didn't. They only difference that Europeans eventualy came to their senses and oulawed slavery. Middle Eastern countries only outlawed slavery in the middle or late 20th century (due to pressure from European countries) but slavery still continues to be practiced. China occupied and colonized its neighbours. Tibet is still occupied by the Chinese. Russia colonized its neighbours too. They are doing it to Ukraine now. In the USA yeah they did built race and racism into the system, but in Europe that wasn't the case. My people never colonized , but were themselves slaves and second class citizens, yet they were white. I'm not shifting the blame to others but everyone needs to realize that everyone has been a slave at one point in his life.

Regarding Wonder Woman , I wil give a chance and not judge Zaslav and the new regime until I see results.
    Last edited by Veni; 08-06-2022 at 03:12 PM.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Didnt he say he was gonna focus on Wonder Woman. Looks like good news. I dont have much hope either way. Hopefully we get a new director.

I didnt like the Batgirl casting but canceling a finished movie was very very dick move. On the other hand Wonder Woman fans are used to getting their projects cancelled. Hopefully he keeps his hands off the game
    Last edited by Geraldofrivia; 08-07-2022 at 06:26 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    Didnt he say he was gonna focus on Wonder Woman. Looks like good news. I dont have much hope either way. Hopefully we get a new director.

I didnt like the Batgirl casting but canceling a finished movie was very very dick move. On the other hand Wonder Woman fans are used to getting their projects cancelled. Hopefully he keeps his hands off the game
    According to a report I read, he's happy with WB Games. I think the game should be safe for now.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    According to a report I read, he's happy with WB Games. I think the game should be safe for now.
    Praise Hera, The game is the only Wonder Woman media, I am looking forward too. Hopefully it is Wonder Woman and not Xena the warrior game

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Yeah, the same people that burn those shoes they spent hundreds on because a football player was kneeling in peaceful protest during the anthem. Like yes, conservatives/republicans can be comic fans, I seriously doubt they would clamber to see a film with Diana's more progressive messaging. There is no such thing as an apolitical film. Right now, so called "anti-sjw real comic book fans" are harassing and grifting off of the fact that Batgirl got canceled by said CEO for the reasons I posted above. They view him as this savior from the "woke media" that's been taking over comic culture. i.e. there are more women, LGBT+, and POC in the medium with opinions and ideas, and on premise they don't like that. So, they use basic criticisms as a shield behind their more racist, homophobic, and especially transphobic views. You view one youtube video and you go down a whole pipeline.

I'll be the first to tell you that some of the new voices are good others not so much. Thats any media. It doesn't mean we need to start cancelling films that were frankly finished. Be it a bad film, a cheap film, or a film starring a diverse cast. This whole Batgirl situation is stunning to me. Tax reasons they said, they stopped the film from being made for tax breaks. 90+ million dollars gone. It's funny to me because DC has more or less been saved via "small" budget creative films (Joker, The Batman, The Suicide Squad, Shazam 1, Birds of Prey) they make a return on investment regardless of quality because they spend somewhat less than a normal block buster. You didn't need to put all your eggs in one basket and watch them crack like in JL. So, what if it was a bad movie (which I doubt it was), Sony released MORBIS for F sakes....TWICE!! How many bad movies have studios released just to get some money back? Think of the precedent now. Blue Beetle... probs shelved, Black Canary too maybe, etc... none of these character driven films would need 100+ million to make so in our CEO's mind it's not worth making them. Marvel releases the dang ETERNALS and DC cancels Batgirl. I know this is the Wonder Woman forum but how is DC going to branch out into a larger universe if these characters barely get their chance to make an attempted step into the spotlight? And the relationship between creatives now... why should anyone start a project at DC, Warner, Discovery or whatever they wanna call themselves now? If just at the finish line the heads decide to axe your project. Oh sure, they said they're working with the talent to find a more suitable plan but that's probs to save face.

This whole thing feels like DC/Warner getting gutted to take care of Discovery's debts and then have everyone replaced with people who probably only heed to said CEO.
    Sadly They are very good at ignoring woke messages of established franchise like Wonder Woman, Orginal and Prequel Star Wars, Star Trek.