Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Superman will forever be the most iconic superhero and he sells tons of merchandising. His success is not what's preventing Diana from reaching the same heights.
    It kinda does when him being DC's favorite son deters DC from using the same endless marketing resources on her that they use on him. EVery single time I go into a Wal-Mart, I still hate not seeing any bedspreads, backpacks, t-shirts, pencil sets, coloring books or toys with Diana's likeness or her villains. I see all of those with Supes' face slapped on them. And let's not even get into Batman and/or Joker: https://darkknightnews.com/2022/01/1...l-the-batcave/
    Yes, I know their iconic stature is the reason, but damn...should DC not try to do the same for their iconic superheroine, who still is unparalleled when it comes to pop culture penetration and universal recognizability among female superheroes? (yes, despite the mega success of the Captain Marvel film and all things Wanda Maximoff, Wonder Woman is still, by far, comic books' best known/recognized super lady. But you would not know that from the flimsy variety of WW-related merchandise out there)...
    Last edited by HestiasHearth; 08-08-2022 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    I'm sure batman is more iconic and well known than him by now.
    The Superman S is one of the most recognizable symbols in the world and Batman won't be able to beat that.

Also, saying Batman has overtaken Superman doesn't really make a case for Wonder Woman who's more similar to Supes than Bats unless you want the edgy, warrior version to be her most dominant interpretation.

Incredible Member

Eh, Wonder Woman is a merchandising juggernaut in her own way. She's singlehandedly made the top ten in merchandising which is something on Spider-Man, Batman and Superman can do. The other Avengers get there as a whole not as individual characters. She's had two movies both of which launched vast amounts of merchandise. She has her own ride at Six Flags, she has board games, she the face of the highly successful DC Superhero Girls, and she has a third movie in the works and a video game. She's no Batman or Spider-Man, but she doesn't have to be them to be successful.

Hell one of her comics, Historia, just won two Eisner Awards, and apparently, her trades sell well. Wonder Woman is also the only female character in comics - as far as I know - that has an entire world built around her that's steadily growing, i.e. Yara.

What other female comic book character compares? Hell, she's even outdoing a lot of the male comic book characters.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    The Superman S is one of the most recognizable symbols in the world and Batman won't be able to beat that.

Also, saying Batman has overtaken Superman doesn't really make a case for Wonder Woman who's more similar to Supes than Bats unless you want the edgy, warrior version to be her most dominant interpretation.
    Batman is far more popular, acclaimed than SM. So yeah, he is more iconic.

Funny how you ignored the rest of my post.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    Eh, Wonder Woman is a merchandising juggernaut in her own way. She's singlehandedly made the top ten in merchandising which is something on Spider-Man, Batman and Superman can do. The other Avengers get there as a whole not as individual characters. She's had two movies both of which launched vast amounts of merchandise. She has her own ride at Six Flags, she has board games, she the face of the highly successful DC Superhero Girls, and she has a third movie in the works and a video game. She's no Batman or Spider-Man, but she doesn't have to be them to be successful.

Hell one of her comics, Historia, just won two Eisner Awards, and apparently, her trades sell well. Wonder Woman is also the only female character in comics - as far as I know - that has an entire world built around her that's steadily growing, i.e. Yara.

What other female comic book character compares? Hell, she's even outdoing a lot of the male comic book characters.
    It's amazing how much she has achieved while being treated badly for so long and never been given the same opportunities as the men.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Not much he can do. The tax breaks would be to little for a $300mil film and i doubt they'll want to pour more into it to switch him out properly

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Not much he can do. The tax breaks would be to little for a $300mil film and i doubt they'll want to pour more into it to switch him out properly
    $300 million dollars! Have mercy.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    It kinda does when him being DC's favorite son deters DC from using the same endless marketing resources on her that they use on him. EVery single time I go into a Wal-Mart, I still hate not seeing any bedspreads, backpacks, t-shirts, pencil sets, coloring books or toys with Diana's likeness or her villains. I see all of those with Supes' face slapped on them. And let's not even get into Batman and/or Joker: https://darkknightnews.com/2022/01/1...l-the-batcave/
    Yes, I know their iconic stature is the reason, but damn...should DC not try to do the same for their iconic superheroine, who still is unparalleled when it comes to pop culture penetration and universal recognizability among female superheroes? (yes, despite the mega success of the Captain Marvel film and all things Wanda Maximoff, Wonder Woman is still, by far, comic books' best known/recognized super lady. But you would not know that from the flimsy variety of WW-related merchandise out there)...
    Superman isn't DC'S favored son. That would easily be Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    $300 million dollars! Have mercy.
    Yeah, these studio films in general have gotten pretty out of hand in terms of budget. Flash would have to reach a billion to break even and that's something not even BvS did.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Probably best to save the complaints for if/when he does it, not before. As of now, what you complain about is not "fact."
    This thread really should've ended at this post. Otherwise, it's just the usual "the sky is falling" nonsense.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Niffleheim

Unless there is a conviction WBD aren't doing anything about The Flash situation.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

I wonder how fast it would've taken WBD/Zaslav to cancel/shut down The Flash if it had been about a black woman of Hispanic descent (hello, Leslie Grace!) instead of a white cisgender male (yes, I know Ezra identifies as non-binary. They still play a cisgender white dude in The Flash).

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I wonder how fast it would've taken WBD/Zaslav to cancel/shut down The Flash if it had been about a black woman of Hispanic descent (hello, Leslie Grace!) instead of a white cisgender male (yes, I know Ezra identifies as non-binary. They still play a cisgender white dude in The Flash).
    It wouldnt have been canceled either way. He even canceled Scooby Doo which is the whitest you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Batman is far more popular, acclaimed than SM. So yeah, he is more iconic.

Funny how you ignored the rest of my post.
    More popular =/= more iconic. A relatively small portion of the world watches movies. If you ask random people on the street to name one superhero they know, you will still get more Superman replies than Batman replies.

Also the rest of your post was besides the point TBH. WW being treated poorly is not Clark's fault. But Superman will always be treated well because he is the OG superhero. His brand recognition is unparalleled among superheroes. DC doesn't have to do work in promoting him. For Diana, they actually have to start making an effort which they are lazy to do. That's on the execs, not Superman.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 08-08-2022 at 09:47 PM.