Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I don't know it seems to have too much humor. I know it's referred to as action comedy so... I have similar complaints with the MCU movies.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I don't know it seems to have too much humor. I know it's referred to as action comedy so... I have similar complaints with the MCU movies.
    Too much humor ... In a Turtles movie!?

That's new.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Too much humor ... In a Turtles movie!?

That's new.
    When it comes to what people can get to complain about MCU movies, TMNT has been brought up as a property where not actually being faithful to the (in this case much darker) source material has worked out better for all parties in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    When it comes to what people can get to complain about MCU movies, TMNT has been brought up as a property where not actually being faithful to the (in this case much darker) source material has worked out better for all parties in the long run.
    Black and white Turtles and X-Men got me into comics.

It was pretty funny as parody back then.

Even the Usagi crossovers has humor.

They have gone "lighter" in tone but the humor has always been there... They're teenagers! You can be serious and funny. Spidey is another that tows those lines.

It is just an odd complaint IMHO.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

It's not an odd complaint to me. There is humor then there is too much humor. I read some of the black and white comics, saw the cartoons and saw the original movies. Or maybe its just the humor thats not that funny? I hope my odd complaints don't keep you up at night.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 07-24-2023 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    It's not an odd complaint to me. There is humor then there is too much humor. I read some of the black and white comics, saw the cartoons and saw the original movies. Or maybe its just the humor thats not that funny? I hope my odd complaints don't keep you up at night.
    Depends - this feels like gen Z humor to me. Maybe it's not so much the quantity as the style? We're not the target audience here, so maybe what you're feeling is just the generational difference between preferred styles of humor?

I'm expecting it'll probably be like 2k12 where there's a lot of humor but the action and stakes get pretty serious (I guess Rise could be like that times too).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess that's in-line with the Bay Turtles:
    It possible the novelization was written before some changed to the movie. A fan who has seen the movie (and seems fairly credible) says that Splinter's origin in the movie is actually...

spoilers:
    he learns it by watching Jackie Chan movies
    end of spoilers

If it's true it's slightly different but still very much in-line with the Bay TMNT movies. It was speculated among fans that the reason that Paramount was trying remove story connections to Japanese culture in the 2014 movie was so they could better market the movie in China. This being the second theatrical interpretation to remove all aspects of Japan from the lore I wonder if they are onto something.

Rowe has said if there is a sequel he wants the Shredder as the main villain. You have to wonder how they'll play that since Splinter has zero connections to Hamato Yoshi and Oroku Saki. The reason the Shredder is the the turtles main antagonist isn't because he's the baddest and most dangerous enemy (he isn't in most versions) it's because he has a personal feud with Splinter. Is he just going to be a random villain they have to fight because they are just darn nice bots or will they try and come up with some new way to connect him with the turtles like the 2014 movie tried to do? I can't imagine anything they come up with would be more compelling than the original Hamato Yoshi vs Oruoku Saki backstory.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    It possible the novelization was written before some changed to the movie. A fan who has seen the movie (and seems fairly credible) says that Splinter's origin in the movie is actually...

spoilers:
    he learns it by watching Jackie Chan movies
    end of spoilers

If it's true it's slightly different but still very much in-line with the Bay TMNT movies. It was speculated among fans that the reason that Paramount was trying remove story connections to Japanese culture in the 2014 movie was so they could better market the movie in China. This being the second theatrical interpretation to remove all aspects of Japan from the lore I wonder if they are onto something.

Rowe has said if there is a sequel he wants the Shredder as the main villain. You have to wonder how they'll play that since Splinter has zero connections to Hamato Yoshi and Oroku Saki. The reason the Shredder is the the turtles main antagonist isn't because he's the baddest and most dangerous enemy (he isn't in most versions) it's because he has a personal feud with Splinter. Is he just going to be a random villain they have to fight because they are just darn nice bots or will they try and come up with some new way to connect him with the turtles like the 2014 movie tried to do? I can't imagine anything they come up with would be more compelling than the original Hamato Yoshi vs Oruoku Saki backstory.
    I guess it could be as simple as Shredder and the Foot tries to take over the New York underworld and the Turtles try to stop him, Gang War style.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Depends - this feels like gen Z humor to me. Maybe it's not so much the quantity as the style? We're not the target audience here, so maybe what you're feeling is just the generational difference between preferred styles of humor?
    Possible.

Ten

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    It was speculated among fans that the reason that Paramount was trying remove story connections to Japanese culture in the 2014 movie was so they could better market the movie in China. This being the second theatrical interpretation to remove all aspects of Japan from the lore I wonder if they are onto something.
    I honestly believe that this is indeed the case for these changes to lore with these newer films yes. Removing the Japanese influence to better appeal to a Chinese market since China's still nursing the grudge against Japan for WWII. Not that I can blame them entirely, just from the few horror stories I know of from that time about what the Japanese did, although you'd think time would heal that wound some (most of Europe's not still treating modern Germans like they're still Nazis), just that that's why the Chinese market might prefer having such Japanese references removed. Which is a shame really, I liked those bits.

So, in China are they called "TMT?"

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    So, in China are they called "TMT?"
    I remember learning that in Europe during the 80s/90s they were called Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles because England or wherever I guess thought the word "Ninja" was somehow "too violent" a word for children to hear/know of. I am not making this up, though swear to god it sounds like some kind of SNL styled skit parodying how silly censors and parent groups can get. Mikey couldn't even use his nunchucks because for some reason those were deemed too violent, but the bladed weapons of Leo and Raph were fine (honestly smacks less of concern about violence and more like some quasi-racism over the Far East). I could see China getting the Turtles name changed to something like the old TMHT for their release.

First turtles was a one told joke spoofing dark and gritty comics like daredevil. Foot is a mad mag name chance of the hand from marvel. It was all this dark lines and action coming from goofy giant turtles in masks with ninja stuff. That was the joke. It was so silly at the time it came out. Turtles always had a joke to them. That's how they started. People are so used to the turtles today they forgot how goofy it was when they first came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I honestly believe that this is indeed the case for these changes to lore with these newer films yes. Removing the Japanese influence to better appeal to a Chinese market since China's still nursing the grudge against Japan for WWII. Not that I can blame them entirely, just from the few horror stories I know of from that time about what the Japanese did, although you'd think time would heal that wound some (most of Europe's not still treating modern Germans like they're still Nazis), just that that's why the Chinese market might prefer having such Japanese references removed. Which is a shame really, I liked those bits.
    Remember the Japanese film WWII film The Wind Rises got some flack on the international stage for whitewashing and/or glossing over the atrocities of the conflict.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)