Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    This argument was boring months ago
    And yet you still seem interested in it.

I have to laugh myself. Wells can make him the nicest guy in the world, it doesn't matter. They've shown that he's got a violent streak, MJ's involved in a situation with a violent man who has kids, much like her father. It's simple equation to tie A to B. Even if Wells leaves and Paul's in the clear, there is nothing 'permanent' about his connection to MJ, per Wells' admission, and Wells has now given plenty of different writers one big smoking gun to trigger, Paul is either a child beater, or this justifies him ultimately becoming one.

Either way, he's screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Agreed, there is nothing to indicate that Paul is generally a violent man
    Except, y'know, the bit where he's explicitly shown to be violent

[ from the little we have seen neither MJ nor the kids are fearful of him.
    MJ is intimidated by him, she's trying to tell Peter something before they're interrupted and then she tries to get him away from Peter. We haven't seen enough of the kids yet to really tell how they're feeling. We haven't even seen them interact with their dad, just MJ.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 08-14-2022 at 07:41 AM.

Incredible Member

Agreed, there is nothing to indicate that Paul is generally a violent man, from the little we have seen neither MJ nor the kids are fearful of him.

I think with Paul part of the frustration is that he is an unknown factor. However, I feel that even though 6 months in the universe have passed, something may have re-written MJ's history it feels like for MJ her relationship with Peter ended years ago and what Peter has been trying to tell her is that her present life may not be real.

Lowe knows that there are a lot of fans that may be frustrated with the story but so far there is no indication it has affected sales.
    I have problems with the icv2 ranking system but one way you can tell how good a book is doing is if it has re-entered in the next month's charts and in July all previous issues of Amazing Spider-Man have ranked in the top 200.

4. Amazing Spider-Man #5
    5. Amazing Spider-Man #6 (#900)
    70. Amazing Spider-Man #4
    145.Amazing Spider-Man #2
    148.Amazing Spider-Man #3
    162. Amazing Spider-Man #1

So far Paul and the kids are a mystery they showed in the new issue 1 in a relationship with MJ

Ok thanks for the reply !!! I thought that maybe I had missed out on some tie in that introduced Paul . Ok so far then we don't even know his last name or how MJ hooked up with him and where the kids came from . Just that 6 months have passed and everyone moved on but Peter.
    I have to say that I'm not a big fan of Romita's work , but I think that he does a really good job drawing Peter as a bit more grown up and he's also good with the other characters in Spider-Man's universe . Hopefully we'll eventually find out what happened in the missing 6 months . Well Marvel wouldn't pass up an opportunity to sell us more books , lol

Astonishing Member

I feel that even though 6 months in the universe have passed, something may have re-written MJ's history it feels like for MJ her relationship with Peter ended years ago and what Peter has been trying to tell her is that her present life may not be real.
    This is the best theory yet I've seen, but Felicia and Norman don't seem phased by MJ's new situation. And if everyone else's memories except Peter's were affected to accept MJ's new situation - so everyone thinks she's been with Paul for years and they have two kids - then why did Felicia go to MJ to ask about Peter and why is Norman trying to matchmake between MJ and Peter?

Alternatively, this could be an MJ from a future/alt timeline, maybe a future where Peter died and she's left to raise their two kids alone and she and Paul became a couple after Peter's death - and she doesn't want to talk to our Peter because it is too painful - but that would require making her older. And she's not depicted as older and people like Felicia and Norman don't seem to notice she's older.

What are people's theories about what is happening?

Ideas I've seen:

1) What we've seen is the reality. MJ and Peter broke up, she got over Peter and fell in love with nice guy Paul and moved in with him and his two children, one of whom only coincidentally happens to look like her, in less than six months.

Problem with this theory: MJ and Peter were deeply in love and were about to move in together, six months is a very short time in which to move on and start living with someone else to the extent that his kids now call you "mommy." Also, MJ's established characterization is she doesn't enter into commitments lightly; Peter is the one exception, otherwise she's "nobody's girl" as she once told Harry and she likes to play the field. MJ also ran away from her sister and her sister's kids because she saw how Gayle was tied down and MJ wanted to have her own career; while she's been shown as a good, loving mother to her and Peter's children, she has said on more than one occasion that she isn't ready to be a mother and 616 Baby May was a happy accident, Peter & MJ weren't trying for kids.

2) Moira MacTaggart is controlling her

Problems with this theory: ASM 1 -7 are set before Hellfire Gala, Moira isn't involved yet.

3) Paul is coercing her/abusing her and/or the children and she is afraid to leave/leave the children.

Problem with this theory: Have you met MJ Watson before?! She doesn't let others control her. She dropped Harry when his drug abuse got to be too much. She has no trouble taking out the Chameleon with a baseball bat or pulling a gun on the Green Goblin (in Marven Knights). And domestic abuse is a very serious topic with many nuances; this is a storyline that could go badly off the rails depending on execution. As for child abuse, if MJ has knowledge children are being abused, she has a moral and legal obligation to report that to authorities.

4) Some sort of memory wipe/psychic blindspot/MJ is trapped in her own House of M type story:

This works better for me. Maybe the deus ex machina played with her memories or took her love for Peter away. But doesn't explain the children or Paul, or why she moved in with them so fast.

5) Alternate universe MJ: Slott is doing another Spider-Verse story, maybe this is an MJ who had to leave her universe to protect her kids and Paul is the "guardian angel" there to protect her in 616. She can't be seen with Peter too much or it will alert the bad guys from her universe as to her whereabouts.

Problems: where is our MJ? (Although the alt MJ could have taken over her body, maybe). Also, not exactly a Spider-Man, street level hero story. Also, MJ is about to be a Krakoa drugs spokesperson, she's not exactly hiding undercover.

6) Clones. This MJ is a clone, the kids are clones - explains the resemblance - Paul is an agent of Mr. Sinister/some sort of Jackal - and hey, Ben was a Jackal - to oversee the experiment. This could have been put in place to torment Peter by Ben. Ben has the real MJ stashed somewhere.

Problem: Really? More clones? Although we're heading into Dark Web and clones. Also, don't like having another "MJ is kidnapped and hidden from Peter yet again" story.

7) Judas Traveller is manipulating reality to observe Peter and MJ, after all he said he wasn't done observing Peter and Ben at the end of the Clone Saga. Explains the glowing man; Judas Traveller has recently resurfaced in the X-Men books. Paul and debt collector could be agents/disciples of Traveller. Could tie into Dark Web as Traveller was also interested in observing Ben.

Problem: Really deep reach into continuity, although again Traveller has shown up recently in the X-books. Would require retconning the retcon that Traveller wasn't all that powerful and couldn't manipulate reality after all.

Anyway, those are my top theories!

I have problems with the icv2 ranking system but one way you can tell how good a book is doing is if it has re-entered in the next month's charts and in July all previous issues of Amazing Spider-Man have ranked in the top 200.

4. Amazing Spider-Man #5
    5. Amazing Spider-Man #6 (#900)
    70. Amazing Spider-Man #4
    145.Amazing Spider-Man #2
    148.Amazing Spider-Man #3
    162. Amazing Spider-Man #1

ASM will always sell.

I'll also point out rankings without sales numbers only demonstrate how well books do in comparison to other books; they do not indicate the overall strength of the market. A #1 book can sell 90,000 copies in a weak market and a #146 book can sell 90,000 copies in a strong market.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 08-14-2022 at 02:28 PM.

Mighty Member

Have you ever thought Paul might be more then it seems

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    This is the best theory yet I've seen, but Felicia and Norman don't seem phased by MJ's new situation. And if everyone else's memories except Peter's were affected to accept MJ's new situation - so everyone thinks she's been with Paul for years and they have two kids - then why did Felicia go to MJ to ask about Peter and why is Norman trying to matchmake between MJ and Peter?

Alternatively, this could be an MJ from a future/alt timeline, maybe a future where Peter died and she's left to raise their two kids alone and she and Paul became a couple after Peter's death - and she doesn't want to talk to our Peter because it is too painful - but that would require making her older. And she's not depicted as older and people like Felicia and Norman don't seem to notice she's older.

What are people's theories about what is happening?

Ideas I've seen:

1) What we've seen is the reality. MJ and Peter broke up, she got over Peter and fell in love with nice guy Paul and moved in with him and his two children, one of whom only coincidentally happens to look like her, in less than six months.

Problem with this theory: MJ and Peter were deeply in love and were about to move in together, six months is a very short time in which to move on and start living with someone else to the extent that his kids now call you "mommy." Also, MJ's established characterization is she doesn't enter into commitments lightly; Peter is the one exception, otherwise she's "nobody's girl" as she once told Harry and she likes to play the field. MJ also ran away from her sister and her sister's kids because she saw how Gayle was tied down and MJ wanted to have her own career; while she's been shown as a good, loving mother to her and Peter's children, she has said on more than one occasion that she isn't ready to be a mother and 616 Baby May was a happy accident, Peter & MJ weren't trying for kids.

2) Moira MacTaggart is controlling her

Problems with this theory: ASM 1 -7 are set before Hellfire Gala, Moira isn't involved yet.

3) Paul is coercing her/abusing her and/or the children and she is afraid to leave/leave the children.

Problem with this theory: Have you met MJ Watson before?! She doesn't let others control her. She dropped Harry when his drug abuse got to be too much. She has no trouble taking out the Chameleon with a baseball bat or pulling a gun on the Green Goblin (in Marven Knights). And domestic abuse is a very serious topic with many nuances; this is a storyline that could go badly off the rails depending on execution. As for child abuse, if MJ has knowledge children are being abused, she has a moral and legal obligation to report that to authorities.

4) Some sort of memory wipe/psychic blindspot/MJ is trapped in her own House of M type story:

This works better for me. Maybe the deus ex machina played with her memories or took her love for Peter away. But doesn't explain the children or Paul, or why she moved in with them so fast.

5) Alternate universe MJ: Slott is doing another Spider-Verse story, maybe this is an MJ who had to leave her universe to protect her kids and Paul is the "guardian angel" there to protect her in 616. She can't be seen with Peter too much or it will alert the bad guys from her universe as to her whereabouts.

Problems: where is our MJ? (Although the alt MJ could have taken over her body, maybe). Also, not exactly a Spider-Man, street level hero story. Also, MJ is about to be a Krakoa drugs spokesperson, she's not exactly hiding undercover.

6) Clones. This MJ is a clone, the kids are clones - explains the resemblance - Paul is an agent of Mr. Sinister/some sort of Jackal - and hey, Ben was a Jackal - to oversee the experiment. This could have been put in place to torment Peter by Ben. Ben has the real MJ stashed somewhere.

Problem: Really? More clones? Although we're heading into Dark Web and clones. Also, don't like having another "MJ is kidnapped and hidden from Peter yet again" story.

7) Judas Traveller is manipulating reality to observe Peter and MJ, after all he said he wasn't done observing Peter and Ben at the end of the Clone Saga. Explains the glowing man; Judas Traveller has recently resurfaced in the X-Men books. Paul and debt collector could be agents/disciples of Traveller. Could tie into Dark Web as Traveller was also interested in observing Ben.

Problem: Really deep reach into continuity, although again Traveller has shown up recently in the X-books. Would require retconning the retcon that Traveller wasn't all that powerful and couldn't manipulate reality after all.

Anyway, those are my top theories!

ASM will always sell.

I'll also point out rankings without sales numbers only demonstrate how well books do in comparison to other books; they do not indicate the overall strength of the market. A #1 book can sell 90,000 copies in a weak market and a #146 book can sell 90,000 copies in a strong market.
    This could all be a nightmare or alternate reality that Peter is living (this is the type of scheme Mysterio, Chameleon or even Mephisto could do). What makes me think that? 1: Everyone but Peter thinks she and Paul have been married for years. 2: Peter working for Norman Osborn: The same Norman Osborn who killed Gwen and made Peter’s life a living hell. I never bought into Peter doing that. Those are very strange things. I would also mention the 9 month time line jump and Mystery Boxes. What are Wells purposes behind those two things? Is it certainly possible those two things can be tied to whatever is happening now with Peter.

Fantastic Member

The cliff-hanger of this issue reminded me of something I read as a kid. Found it from ASM #157:

ASM157.jpg

Funny thing, I never read 158. I guess I should look for that now.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    This could all be a nightmare or alternate reality that Peter is living (this is the type of scheme Mysterio, Chameleon or even Mephisto could do). What makes me think that? 1: Everyone but Peter thinks she and Paul have been married for years. 2: Peter working for Norman Osborn: The same Norman Osborn who killed Gwen and made Peter’s life a living hell. I never bought into Peter doing that. Those are very strange things. I would also mention the 9 month time line jump and Mystery Boxes. What are Wells purposes behind those two things? Is it certainly possible those two things can be tied to whatever is happening now with Peter.
    I assume, with no real great motivation, that the Norman team up is more about setting up the AXE tie-in with Peter being judged (w/Gwen on the cover and in the solicitation, for whatever that's worth at this point). This all kind of seems like back-filling to me to make that story work (that is, they decided to have the AXE tie-in deal w/Gwen, that created a story behind it that would give the AXE tie-in have the most emotional punch, to wit, have Peter and Norman be "pals"). While the Norman piece could tie-in w/Dark Web, I bet it gets resolved either in the AXE tie-in, or more likely, the subsequent Hobgoblin arc.

I think someone posted an interview w/Wells very recently that said Dark Web would resolve/explain what happened 6 months ago. I think that probably makes alternate reality both less likely (if we think the Ben/Chasm part is the primary driver) or more likely (Madelyne Pryor can do many crazy things). It's really hard to say since it seems like the main book isn't really casting any hints as to what happened or why in between Beyond and ASM (v5) #1 (certainly, there aren't weird comments by cast or weirdly directed panels that would only be there if they were hinting at some larger truth). On the one hand, it'd be insane if ultimately the current mystery box didn't all lead back to Pete and MJ walking into the bright light at the end of Beyond, but on the other it's hard to see how that relates to Ben, Madelyne, or Moira at this point.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jwyatt View Post
    The cliff-hanger of this issue reminded me of something I read as a kid. Found it from ASM #157:

ASM157.jpg

I think that the old Spider-Man books from the 60's or 70's still hold up great !!!
    I have a some ASM MasterWorks and they're all fun to read .

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    I guess Kamala has little to do now that Champions is canceled.
    She does have a mini-series. Last week she teamed up with the X-Men (despite the issue being called Ms. Marvel and Wolverine) and this week she's with Moon Knight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dron View Post
    Kamala looks a bit older than normal this issue. Cynical me keeps nagging that her inclusion into ASM is for some MCU synergy. Still a box of mysteries which I'm not a huge fan of, but it's better than that narration of "YOUR SINS PARKER!" by kindred every issue. I had actually thought the Hellfire Gala took place before the 6 month time skip and this new status quo was the result of it, but Moira hasn't even taken over MJ's body yet?
    Six month timeskip, remember, so she probably IS older. Isn't that sufficient to age her out of high school? When you account for the Secret Wars timeskip (8 months), her sister in law and Miles's Mom's pregnancies (which means at least another nine months has passed), and now this six month timeskip, it's been over two years since her origin at age 16.

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Like maybe soras MS Marvel to 18-21 to make her Peter's love interest?
    I think she actually IS 18 here. But love interest? Yuck. Peter actually dated Carol once. Also, the age gap is still about a decade.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jwyatt View Post

ASM157.jpg

You could survive a fall like this in the PS4 game lol.
    "Cable was right!"

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    I think that the old Spider-Man books from the 60's or 70's still hold up great !!!
    I have a some ASM MasterWorks and they're all fun to read .
    Certainly beats the stories of today

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChVUSQsj2s0/?hl=en

Could we be getting some new characters? or something else?