Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
  1. #1
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,970

    Default Weakest team to defeat Chris Claremont's X-Men

    What is the weakest team in fiction that could defeat Chris Claremont's X-Men?

    Some clarifications

    1. Chris Claremont's X-Men includes every character that was a member of the X-Men while Claremont was writing the title.

    2. They get feats from every 616 Marvel story written by Claremont, including those he wrote after his iconic run. The board's consistency rules still apply, it's just that the only things that count re Claremont's works

    3. It must be an actual team of characters that defeats them, not just a collection of characters from the same series

  2. #2
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,731

    Default

    Do you have a roster or something? I don't want to try to figure out which X-Men were X-Men while Claremont was writing it and I don't know where one would find a convenient list. Without a list, I would say the Defenders when they have Surfer or the JSA when they have Spectre could probably win, though I doubt they are the weakest options.

  3. #3
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StupidMoniker View Post
    Do you have a roster or something? I don't want to try to figure out which X-Men were X-Men while Claremont was writing it and I don't know where one would find a convenient list. Without a list, I would say the Defenders when they have Surfer or the JSA when they have Spectre could probably win, though I doubt they are the weakest options.
    Off the top of my head: Cyclops, Jean Grey, Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, Kitty Pryde, Psylocke, Havok, Collossus, Rogue, Dazzler, Longshot, Jubilee, Forge, and Gambit. Maybe more.

  4. #4
    Spectacular Member Muadib's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Off the top of my head: Cyclops, Jean Grey, Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, Kitty Pryde, Psylocke, Havok, Collossus, Rogue, Dazzler, Longshot, Jubilee, Forge, and Gambit. Maybe more.
    Friend Jcogginsa, that is but a fraction of the mutants who have served under Claremonts pen in the 40 years he has been associated with the X-Men. For clarity's sake do we include his runs on Excalibur, and the New Mutants for the purposes of that list? Because then we're adding Rachel Grey as Pheonix who Galactus acknowledges as a peer and Franklin Richards from the future( Tho being Claremont, he nerfed the fuck out of his version of Franklin and had him die to Sentinels, because Storm forbid we have a powerful male mutant who isnt a villain)

  5. #5
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muadib View Post
    Friend Jcogginsa, that is but a fraction of the mutants who have served under Claremonts pen in the 40 years he has been associated with the X-Men. For clarity's sake do we include his runs on Excalibur, and the New Mutants for the purposes of that list? Because then we're adding Rachel Grey as Pheonix who Galactus acknowledges as a peer and Franklin Richards from the future( Tho being Claremont, he nerfed the fuck out of his version of Franklin and had him die to Sentinels, because Storm forbid we have a powerful male mutant who isnt a villain)
    No, Only books with the words X-Men in the title

    EDIT: Though to clarify, I mean the only characters present are the ones from books with X-Men in the title. The characters still get their feats from the other claremont X-Books

  6. #6
    Spectacular Member Muadib's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    No, Only books with the words X-Men in the title

    EDIT: Though to clarify, I mean the only characters present are the ones from books with X-Men in the title. The characters still get their feats from the other claremont X-Books
    Ok,

    Professor X
    Cyclops
    Jean Grey/Marvel Girl
    Beast
    Angel
    Iceman
    Havok
    Polaris
    Banshee
    Storm
    Colossus
    Nightcrawler
    Kitty Pryde/Shadowcat
    Bishop
    Wolverine
    Magneto
    Rogue (With Carol Danvers/Miss Marvel Power Set)
    Gambit
    Dazzler
    Longshot
    Sunfire
    Sage
    Thunderbird
    Psylocke
    Forge
    Jubilee
    Thunderbird II (Plasma Powers)
    Cable
    Moonstar/Mirage
    Slipstream
    Lifeguard
    Multiple Man
    Siryn
    Amanda Sefton
    Legion


    Sheesh, i think that's everyone. I left off some of the Muir Island team because their powers were all minor super strength (like Captain America level) and no feats i can remember.

    (Thanks Wikipedia, i love you)

    Thats a lot of power there and an incredible amount of versatility. Just on Claremont era feats, Magneto alone is a team buster. And You got Jean Grey and Cable for world class TK and the Professor, Jean and Psylocke for psi. Amanda Sefton brings a not inconsiderable amount of magic too. And of course Claremont era Storm. The plot armour that walks. Longshot and Nightcrawler will be a pain to deal with

    I think your gonna need a team with a speedster or a couple that hits hard, to take out the dangerous ones off the bat, someone to deal with Magneto, someone psi immune, and powerful enough to deal with at least 5 Omega class Mutants, i dont think Bobby was omega by the time Claremont left but he was one for the second run.

    Thats a lot to ask.

    Off the bat i think my favourite JLA of all time the Morrison Era Expanded Team has a shot. 14 Members many of whom are planet busters with superspeed, and a variety of powers to counter the enormous versatility of the X-Team. Also Wally West, but that might be cheating. Superman, Wally, MM, WW, could do some real damage tho whether thats enough to get thru Maggies autoshields i dunno. Wally Speed Steal is broken as hell, that could work, but Bobby at Omega could possibly counter that.The numbers are against the JLA tho and that could be the difference?

    Maybe the Alan Moore Era Combined Wildcats team? Mr Majestic is pretty OP and depending on version has psi powers in addition to his superman powers set. The others could do some real work too, Void's psi and Teleport, Maul is a bruiser if they can protect his mind. Most of the team are brawlers but they are tough and experienced. If Grifter activates his Psi, with Voodoo and Warblade and Zealot hold a line, with Soldier and Savant? The numbers are an issue tho. And its asking a lot of Majestic who is OP and ruthless but can be outsmarted. His speed is Superman level tho, and with the right kit he can move a planet. Thats gotta hurt Claremont era Magneto.

    Johns & Goyer Era JSA. Huge team. Lots of powers, speedsters and anti psi. Big cast too. And if the Spectres full power its GG.

    Legion Of Superheroes Iterations might stand a chance too, the cast would be big enough and versatile enough to hold their own and the kryptonians and speedsters on the team would counter the omegas.

    Lastly, Stormwatch and the Authority. Stormwatch doesnt have the feats or numbers imo, whereas the Authority definitely have the feats but not the numbers. Still give them a good chance depending on which version is being used.

    As mentioned above, the Classic Defenders could do it between Classic Strange and the Surfer, but they hardly weakest.

    FF, no, Doom Patrol, no, none of the other Image teams except maybe the Supreme Allied Supermen of America, any version of the Guardians of the Globe from Invincible get rolleed.
    A Guardians of the Galaxy team with the right components could maybe squeak out a win? Maybe

    The Annihilators would roll. Surfer, Gladiator, Quasar, Nova, Beta Ray Bill. Yeah too easy for them.

    Theres probably loads of teams i am forgetting. Anyone else?

  7. #7
    Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,068

    Default

    I'd go with the Legion of Superheroes as well. I don't recall if Claremont did much with the Omega levels, but if not, then the Legion might even be able to do it without bringing the Kryptonians or Daxamites into the fight. At the very least, there would be a bunch of decent one-on-one match-ups. If we are talking Omega levels, though, the Legion would probably need Mon-El backing them up at a minimum.

  8. #8
    Prince of Duckness Beadle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,417

    Default

    Didn’t Claremont also write that weird X-Men comic on Genosha with Tentacle-Callisto and whatnot?

    But ultimately this comes down to “Gimme a team that can beat Dark Phoenix plus some chump change.”

  9. #9
    Better than YOU! Alan2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,684

    Default

    Since we've seen Spider-man beat entire teams of X-men at once, what we clearly need is multiple Spider-men to beat all the X-men at once. Let's bring in one of those Spider-verse teams.

  10. #10
    E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Munch, Capital of So Asbena
    Posts
    5,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Didn’t Claremont also write that weird X-Men comic on Genosha with Tentacle-Callisto and whatnot?

    But ultimately this comes down to “Gimme a team that can beat Dark Phoenix plus some chump change.”
    Oh he wrote the Dark Phoenix arc? Well without knowing her EXACT feats, I'll suggest Laharl's Army. Did anyone try punching dark Phoenix into the sun or maybe shooting her with a solar system?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Since we've seen Spider-man beat entire teams of X-men at once, what we clearly need is multiple Spider-men to beat all the X-men at once. Let's bring in one of those Spider-verse teams.
    Was Captain Universe SPidey in that one?
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

  11. #11
    Prince of Duckness Beadle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Oh he wrote the Dark Phoenix arc? Well without knowing her EXACT feats, I'll suggest Laharl's Army. Did anyone try punching dark Phoenix into the sun or maybe shooting her with a solar system?
    She blew up a solar system, IIRC. The D’Bari System, I think…? So she should be fine with that.

  12. #12
    Prince of Duckness Beadle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,417

    Default

    She really screws the X-Men power-curve.

  13. #13
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    11,001

    Default

    Confirmed - she basically ate enough of a star's energy that it went supernova, and so much for that inhabited system.

    If we do actually count Dark Phoenix among the X-Men, then we're going to need to go pretty high-up to beat her, barring her feeling suicidal again.
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

    "What's a silmaril?
    Is it some kind of Pokemon?"

    - Nik

    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move."
    - Nik

    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?"
    - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

  14. #14
    Prince of Duckness Beadle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Confirmed - she basically ate enough of a star's energy that it went supernova, and so much for that inhabited system.

    If we do actually count Dark Phoenix among the X-Men, then we're going to need to go pretty high-up to beat her, barring her feeling suicidal again.
    Well, by the rules of the thread, Phoenix was a member of the X-Men while Claremont wrote it and that feat was in a Claremont X-Men book, so… she counts.

  15. #15
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    11,001

    Default

    I’m cool with that if people go that way. It’s just Phoenix and Dark Phoenix have rather different feats. But if people want to call them the same character, I get that reasoning.
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

    "What's a silmaril?
    Is it some kind of Pokemon?"

    - Nik

    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move."
    - Nik

    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?"
    - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •