Thread: Angela

Default Angela

Anyone else think angela doesn't work in marvel she was so much better In image comics?

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

She could work. Tying her to Thor was the wrong move maybe. she definitely should not have been Thor's sister.

Why not make her the sister of Hela!? Hela and Angela! Hell and Angel!

Tying her to thor was a mistake, making her not actually an angel was even bigger mistake. At best she could have been half angel half asgardian. Even worst they gave virtually no development to the angels and dropped what little cultural bits they had early on. I'm not sure if any angel besides Angela's ex girlfriend even have names. I don't think the problem is being in marvel, it's that they denied her having a unique background and put her in a group where she would have no hope of standing above the established characters. I mean they sorta tried but no writer is going to make Angela a bigger deal in the Thor books than Loki, hela, odin, or any of the main stays.

I first read her in Strike Force and liked her. She should be featured in a new team like Avengers West Coast.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

when she first joined it felt random, but now she works. I think she'd fit right in to the MCU honestly

Read Marvel Strikeforce she works

The J-man

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    She could work. Tying her to Thor was the wrong move maybe. she definitely should not have been Thor's sister.
    I agree. Turning her into a Thor supporting character doesn't do much for either. It would have been better if they'd brought as much of her original mythos over as possible.

Having said that, I wonder how enthused Marvel was to acquire the character in the first place? Like I wouldn't be shocked to learn that she was part of some package deal to get Miracle Man.

I think the problem is that Angela is a name for a character on The Office, not a superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    ? Like I wouldn't be shocked to learn that she was part of some package deal to get Miracle Man.
    I could sworn that was the exact situation. Just tossed in with miracleman because gaiman wanted it.

The way Marvel handled Angela was a huge waste of potential.

She was a warrior Angel who hunted creatures from Hell. Simple concept, but fascinating with great storytelling potential.

Making her Thor’s sister stripped her of her individuality in the Marvel Universe and reduced her to a supporting Thor character. Not only that, but they reduced Angels to another Asgardian Realm. This is despite the fact that they already had more traditional Angels in Marvel lore through Ghost Rider, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I think the problem is that Angela is a name for a character on The Office, not a superhero.
    For a random Asgardian, yes, awful name. But for an angel? I think it fits in its simplicity lol.
    Last edited by Exciter; 08-06-2022 at 12:07 PM.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Niffleheim

Why can't she continue being an angel after her true paternity was revealed?
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Add my voice to the chorus: subsuming Abrahamic mythos within Norse mythos doesn't work.

Marvel has angels that are in no way affiliated with Asgard. They could have introduced Angela in the MU with her own unique history. As I've said before, Marvel has a bazillion representations of demonic beings from Mephisto on down to lesser-known devilish types. But angels or similarly divine beings that take an active role in the MU? Not so much. I mean there was Janus, the resurrected son of Count Dracula that was fused with the divine spirit of a "golden angel" for a time, but other than that, not much angelic representation. Angela could have been introduced to the Marvel Universe as one of those "angels." But oh well.
    Attached Images Attached Images