Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Thanks for the recap. I saw it trending on Twitter, so it was good to get context and details.
    You’re welcome. And for everyone who wants to get a grasp on Chris Claremont’s cadence and talking style here’s the full video that I transcribed in the previous post

Last edited by Gripstir; 08-06-2022 at 07:16 AM.

Death of Valiant?

(crickets)

Oni/Lion Forge?

(tumbleweed)

Things looking dire for IDW?

(silence)

Claremont did some stuff?

ZOMG! HGTIFUTFGHCJVHDDYFJBJHGVFHXFD¡!!!!!!!!!!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    For me it's just Claremont being Claremont and he has definitely earned the right to voice his opinion of the franchise.
    My opinion, too… After all, for him, writing the X-men stories was fun, why shouldn’t the fun continue?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    My opinion, too… After all, for him, writing the X-men stories was fun, why shouldn’t the fun continue?
    The modern comics industry doesn't do "fun"
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Well...he is still writing his fun comics. Gambit and Storm currently and the upcoming XXM.

And who's to say that the current writers aren't also having fun and enjoying their creations?

My idea of fun is certainly not going to be JWats' idea of fun nor Merc's...similarly, Claremont's idea of fun isn't going to be Hickman's idea of fun nor Gillen's.

It is what it is.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

… talks about his plans for Jean and Logan getting rejected by editorial but then later they take the story anyway and have Mark Millar write it.

34:59 “pisses him off” that he creates stories and someone else always ends up writing…
    Ironically I think Claremont has some solid ideas but just don’t want to see him execute them. I don’t really enjoy his writing personally. Love his ideas around Logan and Jean, for example, and wish he’d been allowed to pursue them.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Death of Valiant?

(crickets)

Oni/Lion Forge?

(tumbleweed)

Things looking dire for IDW?

(silence)

Claremont did some stuff?

ZOMG! HGTIFUTFGHCJVHDDYFJBJHGVFHXFD¡!!!!!!!!!!
    What are you talking about ? This is the X-forum.
    I've seen plenty reactions on that Oni thing in my twitter feed. Maybe go there for info ?

Also if you want "fun" comics, there are plenty. X-factor was fun. Marauders tries to be. Unlimited definitley is. X-men too. We're getting a "sexy scary fun romp" with X-terminators. The only "serious" titles are Immortal, Red and LoX and I think they're pretty "fun" to read. And that's just the X-books.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Well...he is still writing his fun comics. Gambit and Storm currently and the upcoming XXM.

And who's to say that the current writers aren't also having fun and enjoying their creations?

My idea of fun is certainly not going to be JWats' idea of fun nor Merc's...similarly, Claremont's idea of fun isn't going to be Hickman's idea of fun nor Gillen's.

It is what it is.
    Indeed. I was getting too dour. I'm actually reading his Gambit.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I'm thankful that he no longer writes contemporary comics.
    Same the Tessa Thompson and the play fast and loose thing about racial identity cause hes "british" was uncomfortable to read

Weird that anyone would get offended. I completely agree with him about the current direction of X-Men books. But there is some irony in the pearl-clutching coming from the people who deified him in order to justify their sexual orientation changes of characters because he pandered in interviews. (Now he's makes statements they don't like in interviews and they get upset.) Completely ignoring that the stories and characters were a team effort. The best comic book creators are still human. And while I think Chris Claremont is a creative genius, he always needs people to reign him in and work with him to make some of the best characters and stories we had. He and Byrne and Shooter may have bumped heads a lot, but it was their cooperation and compromise that brought us amazing content. Today, we have untalented people who all agree on what they're doing and they're producing the worst content in the franchise's history.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

another version of events that aren’t a character-assassinating Twitter hit-job.

https://www.thepopverse.com/x-men-ch...s-at-c2e2-2022

it depresses me that he’s given the opportunity to write - but what he’s writing isn’t what he’s passionate about. he wants to play in the krakoa sandbox, but no one wants to share their toys.

i wish they’d take another chance on a wacky character-driven story like hellions. no one gave a good g-damn about those characters so let’s tell a fun story with them. kinda feels like what they’re doing with the gambit solo, but like cc, i’m struggling to be enthusiastic about it when it has zero consequence or relevance.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

As I said before...give him full reign of Betsy's Knights and Otherworld and all its characters. He'll be absolutely perfect.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 08-06-2022 at 12:52 PM.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

As I said before...give him full reign of Betsy's Knights and Otherworld and all its characters. He'll be absolutely perfect.
    The absolute best idea anyone has ever had!

Astonishing Member

I feel that would still require a good editor to keep him focused or veto ideas that go too far, even if given the free pass to go with his crazier ideas thanks to that setting. But overall, it's a sound idea.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    another version of events that aren’t a character-assassinating Twitter hit-job.

https://www.thepopverse.com/x-men-ch...s-at-c2e2-2022

it depresses me that he’s given the opportunity to write - but what he’s writing isn’t what he’s passionate about. he wants to play in the krakoa sandbox, but no one wants to share their toys.

i wish they’d take another chance on a wacky character-driven story like hellions. no one gave a good g-damn about those characters so let’s tell a fun story with them. kinda feels like what they’re doing with the gambit solo, but like cc, i’m struggling to be enthusiastic about it when it has zero consequence or relevance.
    To me, the interesting bit about that write-up is how editorial apparently isn't that interested in letting writers explore the little iconoclastic niches of Krakoa, when we know there are readers interested in those aspects - the messier bits of world-building, mutants who don't fall under the Krakoan umbrella (whether by design or by disagreement), poking at the cracks in leadership, etc. Hopefully this doesn't mean LaValle is going to be hobbled when it comes to the next chapter of his work with Sabretooth.