Default How to best start Spiderman series

Hi everyone I am new to the forum and new to the comic book industry and I really like Spiderman and would like to know what are the best Spiderman comic book series to start off with I am not intrested in collecting I just want a good storyline

Incredible Member

Most people will tell you to try and give the original volume of Ultimate Spider-Man series a try. It consists of 133 issues and at least one side mini series (Ultimate 6) which consisted of 7 issues. It continued in a second volume but the first 133 issues are pretty solid.

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Most people will tell you to try and give the original volume of Ultimate Spider-Man series a try. It consists of 133 issues and at least one side mini series (Ultimate 6) which consisted of 7 issues. It continued in a second volume but the first 133 issues are pretty solid.
    I certainly agree. There are two schools of thoughts with recommendations. One is to give someone a sample of the best, most acclaimed and most important material. Another is to recommend something that can be used to explore and go further.

Spider-Man comics benefit from issue to issue continuity, and seeing the consequences to stories, so there is a big advantage to looking at runs. The early Ultimate Spider-Man comics are accessible, and have a decent take on a Peter Parker who discovered his powers in the early 21st Century.

Some well-regarded stories that are self-contained are Kraven's Last Hunt, Spider-Man: Blue, the Master Planner Saga (Amazing Spider-Man #31-33) Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut (Amazing Spider-Man #229-230) and The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man (Amazing Spider-Man #248)

A new Amazing Spider-Man #1 kicked off recently, so you could check that out and see if you like it.

With a digital unlimited subscription, it could be worth starting some major runs. Amazing Spider-Man Volume 2 #30 introduced some new characters and marked the beginning of J. Michael Straczynski/ John Romita Jr's run. Amazing Spider-Man #546 started the Brand New Day era, when Dan Slott and Zeb Wells became major Spider-Man writers.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

A youtube channel I watch said the best thing, go to a comic shop and pick up some random issues of Spider-Man. Find the cheapest ones and start from there.
    Ultimate Spider-Man is great, and it's how I got into comics, but I also started from #8 meaning I had missed a huge chunk of background story.
    Also Spider Hunt part 2 was one of my first comics and that has extensive background.

So I'll suggest just picking up some random cheap issues, and if you enjoy a particular story, maybe try and get the rest of the arc and then the rest of the run.
    Comics are not easy to jump into, but jumping into them is half the fun.

Ultimate Spider-Man is the best first comic series period, for Spider-Man or for comics in general. If you've seen the movies, stuff will feel pretty familiar (the Mark Webb movies and MCU ones are based on this series and the Raimi ones have a lot of similarities, too), if you'd like that kind of thing. On top of that, it's one of the best Spider-Man runs period.

Otherwise, you could try tracking down the Epic Collections if you want to try the original comics (some, esp. the original Lee/Ditko ones) do have an acquired taste to them, but were the foundation for everything.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

I would probably read Ultimate Spider-Man as it is a more modern and near-undated take on the character and sets up Miles Morales, who is key to a very entertaining oscar-winning movie. Very much the blueprint for 21st century Spider-Man.

If you like your Peter to grow and progress, you can try the JMS era as already suggested, although it can get pretty bleak towards the middle and end, it shows our heroes dealing the best they can with more mature personal triumphs and struggles that haven't really been replicated since.

I don't recommend Brand New Day or anything beyond that point. It shatters the foundations entirely and tainted the franchise for decades to come. Nick Spencer's run just about salvages all of that so when you get to One More Day, you're best skipping straight to that if you want something that resembles Spider-Man.

If you're curious about the early format and foundation, stick with the classics from Lee/Ditko and build from there.

If you grow to love Peter Parker and wouldn't mind him growing further or have some sort of happy ending, you can pick up the collections of either Spider-Girl or Renew Your Vows, where he deals with family life.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 08-21-2022 at 06:17 AM.

Chiming in with my agreement that USM is highly recommended & the best way to get started...

Last edited by K7P5V; 08-21-2022 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Thank you guys so much. Really appreciate the help. I think I'm going to try the Ultimate Spiderman Series as a first start in to the genre. Seems easy and accessible.