Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    "Extremists" feels rather, well, extreme.

No one is complaining that Peter Parker can't let things go. They are pointing out he has been acting like a stunted manbaby
    I'm specifically talking about the extreme ends of the fandom, the ones who do act like stunted manbabies. The ones who conduct themselves like the Eltingville Club. It's not just about "anger management" and "not letting things go", although they do both fall under the arrested development umbrella.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I thought the Scott Lang/Hope van Dyne romance was bad. I actually wondered where that kiss came from at the end of the first Ant-Man movie. Probably my least favorite MCU Romance outside of whatever the hell was going on in Eternals.
    Well, them kissing at the end was partially played as a joke. On the other hand, I did like that we got to see them actually talking about stuff that was important to them (about why Scott was picked instead of Hope in the first one and Hope worried about whether her mom will remember her in the second), which added more substance to the relationship. Might've been low-key, but, given how easy it is to go for the drama or over the top elements, just having two people that like being together is welcome. I dunno, guess they just clicked with me.

So far as Eternals, I will freely concede that they really didn't tap much into that and missed a lot of opportunities. On the other hand, given how bad love triangles can be, at least we didn't have that in our faces.

I do think the Quill x Gamora romance was ruined by Infinity War/Endgame killing Gamora and replacing her with an alternate version of herself. If they actually go for it in GotG Vol. 3, I have a hard time holding it in high regard for that reason. She's not the same person Quill originally fell in love with.
    We'll have to see where that goes with the next movie, I guess.

That leaves Steve x Peggy. Which undercut Steve's entire arc of getting used to a world that had moved on without him by having him literally return to the past.
    I guess it worked inasmuch as him realizing he had the right to be selfish after giving so much over his life, but, yeah, was a little too good to be true. Course, I'm not forgiving them for character assassinating Sharon Carter, so I am biased.

MCU romances are bad.
    Surely better than Twilight? Certainly better than the Mark Webb Spider-Man movies.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Well, them kissing at the end was partially played as a joke. On the other hand, I did like that we got to see them actually talking about stuff that was important to them (about why Scott was picked instead of Hope in the first one and Hope worried about whether her mom will remember her in the second), which added more substance to the relationship. Might've been low-key, but, given how easy it is to go for the drama or over the top elements, just having two people that like being together is welcome. I dunno, guess they just clicked with me.
    I mean, if Ant-Man and the Wasp is one of your favorite MCU romances, I don't think we're going to find agreement on the subject. It's just kinda there. And while "it's just kinda there" can work, it's never going to be the upper echelon of romance arcs. I just find it so listless.

Surely better than Twilight? Certainly better than the Mark Webb Spider-Man movies.
    The problem with the romance in Webb Spider-Man movies is they were too scared to make Gwen even the slightest bit unlikable because they thought it would ruin the impact of her death. It's a very fanfic-like look at their romance where she was the most perfect girlfriend to ever exist and that she loves and accepts Peter as Spider-Man. Comics sometimes get into this too because of just how significant her death was and it always sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Now, Stan was known to say a lot of things that don't necessarily dovetal with other people's recollections, but in his biography Excelcior! Stan says this, “For once I wanted to write stories that wouldn’t insult the intelligence of an older reader, stories with interesting characterization, more realistic dialogue, and plots that hadn’t been recycled a thousand times before."
    Funny things to say considering his dialogue is as bad as whatever the hell DC was publishing at the time.

He also did repeat plots, like Spidey breaking his arm before fighting Vulture, or Green Goblin's existence, though how much of that blame is his' and Romita's is hard to say lol.

I still do see his other points, but Stan Lee is trying to sound better than he really was with those two in particular, it's like how Wells is talking like making Ben be "Peter without the responsibilities and a villain" is something that wasn't done at least twice before.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Haven't seen Twilight being used as a punching bag in a long time lol.

Regardless, "not as bad as X" doesn't mean "good", or even "not boring".

The problem with the romance in Webb Spider-Man movies is they were too scared to make Gwen even the slightest bit unlikable because they thought it would ruin the impact of her death. It's a very fanfic-like look at their romance where she was the most perfect girlfriend to ever exist and that she loves and accepts Peter as Spider-Man. Comics sometimes get into this too because of just how significant her death was and it always sucks.
    Sometimes? The only thing they do "sometimes" is remember that Gwen was actually flawed lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Spectacular Member

I solemnly swear that I will someday discover the kidneys that Gwen Stacy swiped from members of the Spider fanbase and sold for her shady dealings. /j

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post

I still do see his other points, but Stan Lee is trying to sound better than he really was with those two in particular, it's like how Wells is talking like making Ben be "Peter without the responsibilities and a villain" is something that wasn't done at least twice before.
    It was even done with Peter himself in the Spencer run when Peter was split from Spidey.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Funny things to say considering his dialogue is as bad as whatever the hell DC was publishing at the time.
    Which early-mid '60s DC Comics had dialogue comparable with Amazing Spider-Man?

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    It was even done with Peter himself in the Spencer run when Peter was split from Spidey.
    Hah, right, had forgotten about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Which early-mid '60s DC Comics had dialogue comparable with Amazing Spider-Man?
    ASM had it better because characters Spidey, MJ, JJ had more unusual personalities compared to other comics, but even then it still had very generic and over dramatic dialogue, like whenever a villain opens their mouth, or Gwen after Ditko left and she started dating Spidey.

And ASM is the one that suffered the least when it comes to this, reading F4, X-Men, Thor, Daredevil, or Hulk in old comics can be a pain in the ass, and a big reason is how the dialogue is just, whatever at best a lot of times and annoying at worst, something I also feel whenever I read more than one random silver age DC comic.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then