Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Oh, with the building anti-Disney attitude out there (some of it deserved some of it not) I'm sure he'll be depicted doing far worse things than that when the time comes.
    There are a lot of reasons not to like Disney. Grooming is one. Another is too much politics at ESPN ( if I wanted to watch politics I could turn on Fox or CNN). For that reason, I cannot watch ESPN except college football and an occasional Steelers game for that reason. I will be happy when ESPN loses the Big 10, so I do not have to watch Penn State games there. ps. I hate their anti Yankees bias. Last but certainly not least things have not improved at the Spider Office since Disney took over.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 08-08-2022 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    After how atrociously and mean-spiritedly Slott wrote Mayday and her family in the first Spider-Verse, I hope no other Parker family shows up. Slott created Annie and creators get a royalty/equity if the characters appear in other media so she will probably be spared so as not to harm any future chances of being used, but MJ as Spinneret who was created by Conway & Stegman? Pray for her. Especially since Slott appeared to go out of his way to destroy any prior happy Peter and MJ relationship except for Stan Lee’s newspaper strip as well as killed off the MJ Spider-Woman.
    If the RYV Parkers show up, I'm sure it'll be fine. Slott had Mayday's dad revived too.

Although he should be criticized for killing off the Exiles Spider-MJ. She was, at the time, half of the Queer Spider-Heroes that existed. Now she's dead and who even knows the status of Ultimate Jessica Drew. (At least Web-Weaver and presumably Night-Spider should be fine.)
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 08-08-2022 at 10:17 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    When it comes to the inner workings of Marvel Comics and the Spider-Man IP, I'm more inclined to believe Dan Slott.
    Sure, believe what you want. He’s still not Madame Web.

Disney decided it’s okay to sell alcohol at Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom despite that being expressly against Walt’s rules. Nothing is ever set in stone. Disney is incredibly data driven and employs armies of analysts, they will turn Mickey Mouse chartreuse if they think it will sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    If the RYV Parkers show up, I'm sure it'll be fine. Slott had Mayday's dad revived too.
    Wasn’t that Gage? And I’ll never forgive him for trying to turn Mayday grimdark, LOL. Even DeFalco in his story implied that wasn’t the same Mayday because it was so out of form for her and her world.

Although he should be criticized for killing off the Exiles Spider-MJ. She was, at the time, half of the Queer Spider-Heroes that existed. Now she's dead and who even knows the status of Ultimate Jessica Drew. (At least Web-Weaver should be fine.)
    Agreed.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 08-08-2022 at 10:19 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    The Spider-marriage isn’t coming back.
    It's back in November.

Nobody's moving on.

Wasn’t that Gage? And I’ll never forgive him for trying to turn Mayday grimdark, LOL. Even DeFalco in his story implied that wasn’t the same Mayday because it was so out of form for her and her world.
    Gage wrote it, but it was Slott's idea to revive Mayday's father. My guess is because DeFalco and Frenz were unhappy with the direction they took Mayday. But I don't know this for a fact or anything.

Astonishing Member

Sure, believe what you want. He’s still not Madame Web.

Disney decided it’s okay to sell alcohol at Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom despite that being expressly against Walt’s rules. Nothing is ever set in stone. Disney is incredibly data driven and employs armies of analysts, they will turn Mickey Mouse chartreuse if they think it will sell.
    Marvel Entertainment and Disney see Spider-Man as a youth property and are dead set against him being married as a permanent fixture. What scenario are you envisioning where this changes? What year do you see this changing?

Every time there's an interview, or a convention panel, or an online post from someone working at Marvel who says that Spider-Man isn't going to be remarried, a certain segment of the fandom refuses to believe it, because it isn't what they wanted to hear.

When C B Cebulski (or whoever else) is asked if Spider-Man and Mary Jane are going to get remarried, what should they say? Should they give the fans false hope? Or should they treat them like adults, and give them an honest and straight answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    It's back in November.

Nobody's moving on.
    The poster you are replying to meant that the marriage isn't coming back in the core, present day, Marvel comics universe. Untold tales and alternate universes are separate entities. Spider-Man: The Lost Hunt won't have any impact on Spider-Man's marital status in the ongoing Amazing Spider-Man series and the present day core Marvel comics universe.
    Last edited by Lee; 08-08-2022 at 11:07 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Gage wrote it, but it was Slott's idea to revive Mayday's father. My guess is because DeFalco and Frenz were unhappy with the direction they took Mayday. But I don't know this for a fact or anything.
    DeFalco and Frenz were indeed pissed, and actually sought and got approval to imply the version of Mayday used in Spider-Verse wasn't the real one, editorial believed it was only 'fair' to the fans, which shows they do have influence. It ticked off Slott off a lot. Bringing back MC2 Peter with the powers of The Other is actually a pretty awesome idea, it's a shame so little has come of it. Also, we've yet to see Mayday reunite with her father, or even MC2 MJ learn her husband is alive.

Astonishing Member

Marvel Entertainment and Disney see Spider-Man as a youth property and are dead set against him being married as a permanent fixture.
    Walt Disney saw Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom as family destinations and forbade alcohol from being sold in the parks.

Alcohol is now sold in the parks.

“Never” is a very long time and Dan Slott is not Madame Web. His crystal ball is plastic.

Speaking of never:

Marvel also approved a depiction of Peter Parker as a divorced thirty-something with a paunch. And a depiction of a twenty-five year old married Peter Parker who dies. Tens of millions of people around the globe, if not more, have seen Into the Spider-Verse.

Maybe, being generous, taking into consideration foreign sales, 500,000 people pick up a monthly comic book.

The comic book version is not the version the majority of people see, and there is a very popular divorced/reconciling with his ex-wife thirtysomething Peter Parker out there that for many people is THEIR Spider-Man.

What scenario are you envisioning where this changes? What year do you see this changing?
    I already answered that in detail. Feel free to go back and read if you like.

Every time there's an interview, or a convention panel, or an online post from someone working at Marvel who says that Spider-Man isn't going to be remarried, a certain segment of the fandom refuses to believe it, because it isn't what they wanted to hear.

When C B Cebulski (or whoever else) is asked if Spider-Man and Mary Jane are going to get remarried, what should they say? Should they give the fans false hope? Or should they treat them like adults, and give them an honest and straight answer?
    You are strawmanning.

The discussion was about Dan’s NEVER EVER NEVER rant.

Never is a very long time.

Again, Dan is not Madame Web.

Here’s a little story about DC Comics. DC Comics is owned by Warner Bros. Warner Bros has a vested interest in protected the brands of its superheroes, just like Disney.

Once upon a time, say 2011, Dan DiDio is the co-publisher of DC. He hated superhero marriages. He is on record saying superheroes should not have happy personal lives. And Warners had success with the teen (although the characters grew up) version of Superman in Smallville.

Dan DiDio split up Lois and Clark, erased their marriage. This era also saw Wally and Linda go kaput. Arthur and Mera, split.

If you asked Dan DiDio in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 if Lois and Clark would be happily married again, he would’ve said the same thing CB Cebulski said.

Then came 2017, and a married version of Lois and Clark - with son - was restored and made primary.

DiDio is no longer employed by DC.

Wally and Linda are married again and have two children. Arthur and Mera are married. Superman & Lois - in which the two are married and have two children - is a hit on television

The end.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 08-08-2022 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    DeFalco and Frenz were indeed pissed, and actually sought and got approval to imply the version of Mayday used in Spider-Verse wasn't the real one, editorial believed it was only 'fair' to the fans, which shows they do have influence. It ticked off Slott off a lot. Bringing back MC2 Peter with the powers of The Other is actually a pretty awesome idea, it's a shame so little has come of it. Also, we've yet to see Mayday reunite with her father, or even MC2 MJ learn her husband is alive.
    Yeah, such a waste we never got to see their reunion. I'm expecting Mayday in the new event (she has been on at least one of the covers that I saw). Anya even went back to her old name, so I wouldn't be surprised if Mayday went back to being Spider-Girl.

Astonishing Member

Would you prefer if he said it's not happening in our lifetimes? Or that there's a sub 0.01% chance of it happening in our lifetimes?

It's been made very clear that there would be huge obstacles in the way of anyone who wanted to remarry Spider-Man in the core Marvel universe comics, and that it would go above the editor-in-chief.

For all intents and purposes, it's not on the cards. It's not happening. Fans shouldn't get their hopes up and expect it to happen.

The only thing fans can do is continue to support projects that align with their desires, like Renew Your Vows. If they don't, then those projects will get cancelled, like Renew Your Vows did.

Astonishing Member

Would you prefer if he said it's not happening in our lifetimes? Or that there's a sub 0.01% chance of it happening in our lifetimes?

It's been made very clear that there would be huge obstacles in the way of anyone who wanted to remarry Spider-Man in the core Marvel universe comics, and that it would go above the editor-in-chief.

For all intents and purposes, it's not on the cards. It's not happening. Fans shouldn't get their hopes up and expect it to happen.

The only thing fans can do is continue to support projects that align with their desires, like Renew Your Vows. If they don't, then those projects will get cancelled, like Renew Your Vows did.
    If this is to me, you are changing the subject to CB Cebulski. I have said nothing about CB Cebulski’s remarks.

I will say that CB Cebulski will not be employed by Marvel forever. Nor will Dan Slott. That’s just how the world works.

BANNED

If this is to me, you are changing the subject to CB Cebulski. I have said nothing about CB Cebulski’s remarks.

I will say that CB Cebulski will not be employed by Marvel forever. Nor will Dan Slott. That’s just how the world works.
    More to the point, Tom Brevoort won't be employed forever (despite having been around forever, rofl), Brevoort is the real major hold-out and wrote the post-OMD manifesto.

Astonishing Member

It's not Cebulski, Brevoort or Slott's decision to make. Remarrying Spider-Man would need to get corporate approval. It goes above Marvel Comics' writers, editors and editor-in-chief. It's a matter of brand management for Marvel Entertainment's flagship character.

If C B Cebulski woke up tomorrow morning and decided he wanted to remarry Peter and MJ, in the core present day Marvel universe comics, it would get blocked by higher-ups.

I wasn't' talking about Cebulski. I'll rephrase: Would you prefer it if Dan Slott had said it's not happening in our lifetimes? Or that there's a sub 0.01% chance of it happening in our lifetimes?

BANNED

Some very odd alt accounts in this thread that seem to know an awful lot about what Slott and C. B. are thinking.

Very defensive, whatever way you sugar coat it, Peter and MJ end up together in every single piece of media except the comics.

So don’t try and pretend this is some Disney mandate, this is marvel comics being creepy ignorant and out of touch with life in general.

We even got Spider-Man and MJ in FORTNITE for gods sake.

Astonishing Member

I linked the thread on this forum where Dan Slott explained that unmarried Spider-Man is set in stone and that remarrying them is a decision that would go higher than the Marvel Comics editor-in-chief.

That's why all this talk about how Spider-Man will be remarried when Tom Brevoort or C B Cebulski retire or move elsewhere is nonsense. We've been told outright that editors, senior editors and even the editor-in-chief do not have the power to make that decision.

Peter and Mary Jane can be a couple in the present day core Marvel Universe comics, but they can't be married.