Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    You make it sound as if Valiant is healthy and doing well.

Agent Z, this is the part where I say that if Marvel doesn't do it someone else will. Look around. Do you see that someone else?

If you people have another idea I would like to hear it.

Lets see

Boom Studios
    Dynamite
    Titan Comics
    After Shock
    Scout (highly unlikely)

These companies are not having issues tossing out books.

Why do YOU want Marvel to get them?

Because this is what will happen....

Shadow Man, Faith, Armstrong & Archer and say Savage gets books.

The TICKED off fans of Namor, New Warriors, various X-folks and others will do EVERYTHING in their power to make those books FAIL. Because they look at it as why do THOSE guys gets shots when Marvel characters that are in movies or show or held longer runs can't sniff a book.

Marvel would be wasting MONEY.

At those other companies that would NOT be an issue. Because none of them are looking for Faith #100. They are going to do just enough to tell a complete story and go on.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Marvel bought them for the color and printing process NOT the characters that they had.

Interesting enough Milestone either used the same process or made a better one.

Ultraverse is in the grave because someone at Marvel does not want to pay the creators of Ultraverse royalties.

Which is interesting considering some of them like Norm Breyfoyle are dead.

As for Valiant-Marvel needs to worry about who they already OWN.
    Wow that's cold blooded but I guess that's just the nature of big business.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Marvel bought them for the color and printing process NOT the characters that they had.
    That is a common mistake. Marvel did not buy Malibu for their color department. It was because their market share. DC was going to buy Malibu and if that had happened DC would had become the nș1 in the market. (That power had the Ultraverse in that moment, the 90s were really wild times) So Marvel bought Malibu to keep themselves at the top.

It was not a creative decision, nor an interest in the characters, noran interest in a technological development. Just plain and cold numbers. Bussiness. Nothing romantic about that.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    I never read any of the Crossgen stuff so I can't comment on that. They absolutely ruined Malibu though. I bought several of those monthlies before Marvel bought that company and it all sucked afterwards. I'm still convinced that is why they bought Malibu in the first place.
    No. They bought them so DC couldn't (they were circling Malibu for almost 2 years at the time). Malibu had a significant market share and if DC had bought them they'd have eclipsed Marvel big time.

Malibu's then state-of-the-art digital colouring software became a factor later on when it was realised it was much more efficient and publishers stopped sending stuff to Ireland to be coloured and began outsourcing to Malibu. Marvel initially wanted to dismantle it, but realised they could monopolize it for themselves.

The main reason was always to cock block DC.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 08-11-2022 at 02:48 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    I thought they bought Malibu because of some coloring or printing thing they had going on. Then Malibu totally screwed them on the rights to the characters...Or they helped themselves, which forced Marvel to bury the characters. I LOVE PRIME, I still do...As for Valiant. I guess there will be no Harbinger movie...Or Solar...Damn. Some fine stuff there going to waste.
    The way they had their royalty system set up is a legal quagmire. Apparently not only do the creators get a cut of profits, but so does Scott Rosenberg. Rosenberg set himself up as the "producer" for each Malibu title and, even if he didn't have a direct hand in the book, he still gets a cut due to how the deals were structured.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I'm pretty sure Marvel doesn't even need real money at this point, toss some Disney bucks at them and see what happens. If they ask for real money walk away...but really slowly. Chances are they change their minds
    No.
    They would just sit around unused like the Ultraverse characters.

Hard Pass. No. No. No.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Regardless of WHY Marvel bought Malibu the result was the same. It eventually ruined everything that was good about the Malibu characters/universe. It was a shame too because Malibu had some really good books.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    If Valiant is closing down, they should give their characters' creators the chance to buy the rights to them. Then it's up to them if they relaunch their book at Image or another indie, sit on it, or sell to one of the Big Two (as happened with former Image character Angela, who Marvel bought after the creator had gained the rights).
    I like this idea.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    If Valiant is closing down, they should give their characters' creators the chance to buy the rights to them. Then it's up to them if they relaunch their book at Image or another indie, sit on it, or sell to one of the Big Two (as happened with former Image character Angela, who Marvel bought after the creator had gained the rights).
    Dinesh is rumoured to be looking at trying to get control of Valiant again. If it goes belly-up, I wouldn't be surprised if Shooter doesn't step in and take another crack at getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    Regardless of WHY Marvel bought Malibu the result was the same. It eventually ruined everything that was good about the Malibu characters/universe. It was a shame too because Malibu had some really good books.
    We can agree on that. And most probably what would happen to the Valiant character if they would become a Marvel property.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Dinesh is rumoured to be looking at trying to get control of Valiant again. If it goes belly-up, I wouldn't be surprised if Shooter doesn't step in and take another crack at getting it.
    That would be an interesting twist.