Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default X-Men Monday #167 – X Me Anything With Jordan D. White

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/08/08/x-...ordan-d-white/

A few standouts for me:

AIPT: Welcome to X-Men Monday XMA, Jordan! Before we get into X-Fans’ questions, I need to ask about Knights of X #4 and that kiss between Captain Britain and Askani. It’s a moment that many X-Fans have been waiting for since the Dawn of X, and in Rachel Summers’ case, something they’ve wanted confirmed for decades. What can you share about how all this came to be?

Jordan: I’m thrilled that we were able to make this happen. Like you said, it’s something that we’ve all wanted to happen for a long time. And it’s through the efforts of a lot of people. Obviously, Tini Howard is a huge proponent of making this happen. Sarah Brunstad, the editor of the book, is a proponent of it as well. I’m really thrilled that they got to make this happen and that this got out there. I wish we could have done it sooner, but I’m glad we got to do it.

AIPT: Another X-Fan in search of clarity (X-Fans love clarity), Uncanny X-Man wanted to know what the deal is with Jean Grey’s codename. Did Jean ditch the Marvel Girl moniker?

Jordan: She certainly seems to have, yes. She specifically said, “I was Marvel Girl. Now I am Jean Grey.” I think this is a hard one to answer without talking about the real world, right? In the reality of X-Men, Jean’s a weird character because she’s one of a few who don’t have a name that sticks. We tried to go back to Marvel Girl and it seems not to have taken or stuck. We had specific reasons for doing it. We’ve talked about them before — and they’re the same as the dress, which, obviously, also didn’t stick quite as long.
    (much more to the answer in the interview)

AIPT: And Rachel, too — just like her mother.

Jordan: Oh yeah. Rachel is a problem.

AIPT: But now she has a new name.

Jordan: Yes, Askani is another attempt to give her a name, and fingers crossed, this will stick. I think it’s a good one. I think especially because it has that backstory to it and a rich history and she’s interacting with the idea of it now. So again, it makes sense to call her that now, whereas it might not have made as much sense during some of her previous eras.

AIPT: Right, right. OK, back to the X-Fan questions — David E was curious what plans there are for Rogue now as she isn’t in any of the current books.

Jordan: Well, I can’t tell you that. [Laughs]

AIPT: It’s ask you anything — that’s what David E wants to ask!

Jordan: She’s retired from superhero life and she won’t be in any more comics ever again. No, I’m joking. That’s not the case. You’ll see, there are specific plans for her, but we’re not ready to announce them yet. You’ll see them relatively soon. I don’t think it’ll be too, too long before we announce them. But what I’ll say is, for sure, comic books featuring Rogue extremely heavily are being written as we speak.

AIPT: Well, she has to go to Gambit’s funeral at some point, right?

Jordan: What happened to Gambit? I didn’t hear about this.

AIPT: Speaking of things to come… X-Fan Mark Floor said Alyssa Wong is in the X-Office. When will we get to know something new about her secret project?

Jordan: Extremely soon, extremely soon. It will be announced momentarily. I don’t know the literal date that it’s being announced, but I know that it is going to be extremely soon. I’m excited for everybody to hear about it. It’s going to be a lot of fun.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    https://aiptcomics.com/2022/08/08/x-...ordan-d-white/

A few standouts for me:

AIPT: Welcome to X-Men Monday XMA, Jordan! Before we get into X-Fans’ questions, I need to ask about Knights of X #4 and that kiss between Captain Britain and Askani. It’s a moment that many X-Fans have been waiting for since the Dawn of X, and in Rachel Summers’ case, something they’ve wanted confirmed for decades. What can you share about how all this came to be?

Jordan: I’m thrilled that we were able to make this happen. Like you said, it’s something that we’ve all wanted to happen for a long time. And it’s through the efforts of a lot of people. Obviously, Tini Howard is a huge proponent of making this happen. Sarah Brunstad, the editor of the book, is a proponent of it as well. I’m really thrilled that they got to make this happen and that this got out there. I wish we could have done it sooner, but I’m glad we got to do it.

AIPT: Another X-Fan in search of clarity (X-Fans love clarity), Uncanny X-Man wanted to know what the deal is with Jean Grey’s codename. Did Jean ditch the Marvel Girl moniker?

Jordan: She certainly seems to have, yes. She specifically said, “I was Marvel Girl. Now I am Jean Grey.” I think this is a hard one to answer without talking about the real world, right? In the reality of X-Men, Jean’s a weird character because she’s one of a few who don’t have a name that sticks. We tried to go back to Marvel Girl and it seems not to have taken or stuck. We had specific reasons for doing it. We’ve talked about them before — and they’re the same as the dress, which, obviously, also didn’t stick quite as long.
    (much more to the answer in the interview)

AIPT: And Rachel, too — just like her mother.

Jordan: Oh yeah. Rachel is a problem.

AIPT: But now she has a new name.

Jordan: Yes, Askani is another attempt to give her a name, and fingers crossed, this will stick. I think it’s a good one. I think especially because it has that backstory to it and a rich history and she’s interacting with the idea of it now. So again, it makes sense to call her that now, whereas it might not have made as much sense during some of her previous eras.

AIPT: Right, right. OK, back to the X-Fan questions — David E was curious what plans there are for Rogue now as she isn’t in any of the current books.

Jordan: Well, I can’t tell you that. [Laughs]

AIPT: It’s ask you anything — that’s what David E wants to ask!

Jordan: She’s retired from superhero life and she won’t be in any more comics ever again. No, I’m joking. That’s not the case. You’ll see, there are specific plans for her, but we’re not ready to announce them yet. You’ll see them relatively soon. I don’t think it’ll be too, too long before we announce them. But what I’ll say is, for sure, comic books featuring Rogue extremely heavily are being written as we speak.

AIPT: Well, she has to go to Gambit’s funeral at some point, right?

Jordan: What happened to Gambit? I didn’t hear about this.

AIPT: Speaking of things to come… X-Fan Mark Floor said Alyssa Wong is in the X-Office. When will we get to know something new about her secret project?

Jordan: Extremely soon, extremely soon. It will be announced momentarily. I don’t know the literal date that it’s being announced, but I know that it is going to be extremely soon. I’m excited for everybody to hear about it. It’s going to be a lot of fun.
    Soooo

Extremely heavily? XTreme Xmen is. lol

Extraordinary Member

I found this tidbit interesting. "In the same way that I don’t force people to use my favorite characters, I don’t force people to use any characters. People use the characters they want to use. Yes, they run it by me and if I think it’s an egregious misuse of the character or they’re ruining the character, obviously, I step in. I’m not saying I don’t do anything as an editor, but I don’t tend to force people to use characters."

Logan is probably the exception that proves the rule since he'd have his own book by editorial mandate even if no one at Marvel wanted to write him anymore, but even that might be an order from the people above White.

BANNED

Aww...I'm bummed. Not only did none of my questions get asked, but that final answer...

AIPT: Finally, X-Fan KingdomX asked if you could describe the status quo of the X-books post-*Judgement Day* in three words.

Jordan: Sinister, Sinister, Sinister.
    was the last thing I wanted to see/hear.

Oh well, win some, lose some...I guess.

Very OMINOUS... indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post
    Aww...I'm bummed. Not only did none of my questions get asked, but that final answer...

Very OMINOUS... indeed.
    Agreed, I have never been a big sinister fan to begin with, modern storytelling and its slow burn style is not helping either, Sinister keeps getting away with stuff and sometimes it is borderline cartoony villain, Destiny seems to be the only one with enough working neurons left to understand he needs to be put down so all my hopes are on her to step up to his game.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Not gonna lie, White's response about the Academy X characters and the promise of more Sinister pretty much gutted my interest.

Very OMINOUS... indeed.
    Yeah I heard a "womp womp" in my head when I read that. Maybe it'll be interesting if the timelines we saw in Destiny's Immortal issue are explored but I'm also kind fatigued from timeline stuff.

wonder if rogue will be featured in whatever title alyssa wong will be doing, especially considering that, it will be announced extremely soon as well
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I found this tidbit interesting. "In the same way that I don’t force people to use my favorite characters, I don’t force people to use any characters. People use the characters they want to use. Yes, they run it by me and if I think it’s an egregious misuse of the character or they’re ruining the character, obviously, I step in. I’m not saying I don’t do anything as an editor, but I don’t tend to force people to use characters."

Logan is probably the exception that proves the rule since he'd have his own book by editorial mandate even if no one at Marvel wanted to write him anymore, but even that might be an order from the people above White.
    Makes me laugh that people assume writers don’t want to write Logan and instead are forced to by editorial. If you read what Jordan said, that he allows the writers to use the characters they want, and then think about the fact that Logan is in so many books… well, I think you’d come to the conclusion that writers enjoy him.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Bruh imagine how I feel? Literally wanna take my question back, cause what nonsense is this?

I wonder if they have like an open google doc and CH just lets the writers answer which ones they want. I'm sure way more questions than that were submitted. I know like 4 others of mine didnt make the cut. But he did answer my Academy question the longest so maybe I struck a nerve with that 27 years of age statement.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    Soooo

Extremely heavily? XTreme Xmen is. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    wonder if rogue will be featured in whatever title alyssa wong will be doing, especially considering that, it will be announced extremely soon as well
    I'm thinking the same thing about Rogue appearing in Wong's book. I really liked the "extremely heavily" comment.

BANNED

Wasnt reading KoX. Damn they really turned Rachel's hair to fiery hair that predates Jean? ugh

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    Wasnt reading KoX. Damn they really turned Rachel's hair to fiery hair that predates Jean? ugh
    What are you even talking about?

Pretty much sick of Sinister but not shocked he's gonna keep being a focus. As far as the rest of the interview I have to say that JDW has mastered the art of doing a whole lot of talking without actually saying anything of note.