Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    So what does that mean for the many organisms which live on and inside the human body? Are they no longer part of nature too?

Are those bacteria, fungi, mites (like those in people's eyelashes) and other lifeforms no longer a part of nature just because they live on and in a human host body?

Is there some kind of fantastical barrier which can seperates them from any other kind of natural developed micro-organism of earthly origins, that live in a symbiotic relation with a larger more complex multi-cellular organism that orginates from the same type of natural development which has produced them?

Is the multi-cellular organism of the category fauna which calls itself human some kind of super-natural entity that can entirely seperate itself from and be independent of any other DNA based organism in it's environment just by physicaly having a brain capable of consciously planning and understanding the effects of their actions?

Does that ability make them "unnatural" even though it only exist because of how "nature" is capable of forming such cellular structures which can produce and transmit bio-electric pulses?

I get what you mean, but nature as concept and Earths ecosystem in particular are not some kind of esoteric magic entity with a "perfect" state of self contained existence and from which any living organism (singular or as group) can entirely seperated itself from as long as it's existing within in it.

Any organism which is part of an ecosystem is capable of affecting it, but is also still subjective to be affected by it.
    Humans are no exception regardless of how much they managed to create tools to manipulate their environment.

That might make them capable of manipulating (intentional or accidental) Earth's ecosystem on a massive scale, but they are also still a product of it and subjective to it's effects.

They are on paper no different than the earliest organisms which were responcible for producing Earth's life sustaining atmosphere above water in first place.

Infact there have been multiple mass extinction events in Earth's history as result of new forms of life being created and spreading by natural developments, changing their environment in the process. The only difference humans have to them is that they are capable of realising what they are doing.

As such there should be no barrier between humans as natural entity and other form of natural life on Earth.

Therefor if a character gets the super ability to communicate and manipulate "nature" that should include humans and all the micro-organisms which live on and in them.

And while we are are on the subject of someone being capable of such feats, i wonder what the organisms are telling her which are actively profiting from the negative (by OUR perspective no less) impact that humanity as on Earth's environment?
    Like the algea that spread thanks to fertilzers getting into rivers and oceans, the toxic jellyfish which profit from warmer ocean water or the bacteria and virus that can spread much wider and mutate more rapidly thanks to human world wide travel?

If we try to pin her powers on some kind of sematic or philosophical definition of "nature" and "natural" we are going to have a problem the moment we look at the bigger picture.
    Yes any distinction between humanity and nature is because we put us part from it. Mostly to validate our own perspecitve and selfproffesed value and meaning. It doesn't work, the same way me saying "I can fly" doesn't make me capable of flying.

Humans are primates. Primates are mammals. Mammals are animals.

Nature girl as she is is very vague. Is she channeling some power being supplied by some manifestation of "earth"? Is the planet sentient? Gaia? Some sort of entity must make the distinction of what she can manipulate or not for her to have these limits. Unless she subconsciously declaring some things as not part of nature and therefore beyond her abilities.

To be on the safe side, they should task Mercury with bringing her in.

BANNED

I can do anything storm, avalanche, hydro man, and plant man can do.....

But Avalanche cannot control Earth itself, he can only generate vibratory shockwaves , you're thinking of either Petra or that Moreau sibling who Magneto killed in Genosha for challenging him in the 1999 Magneto Rex limited series
    MEANWHILE
    Hydro Man can turn himself into water, but cannot control water itself (you're thinking of Water Wizard/Aqueduct, if you're talking about mutates, and Colossus recent girlfriend who he murdered in Percy's X-Force, or Sunspot's dead gf's younger brother who was introduced in one of the Marvel Voices: Latinx Editions, if you're talking about mutants)
    Last edited by EldonMaguan; 08-10-2022 at 03:32 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Is she channeling some power being supplied by some manifestation of "earth"? Is the planet sentient? Gaia? Some sort of entity must make the distinction of what she can manipulate or not for her to have these limits. Unless she subconsciously declaring some things as not part of nature and therefore beyond her abilities.
    You must not be reading Judgement day. "The machine" is alive and even talking to the audience.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    So what does that mean for the many organisms which live on and inside the human body? Are they no longer part of nature too?

Are those bacteria, fungi, mites (like those in people's eyelashes) and other lifeforms no longer a part of nature just because they live on and in a human host body?

Is there some kind of fantastical barrier which can seperates them from any other kind of natural developed micro-organism of earthly origins, that live in a symbiotic relation with a larger more complex multi-cellular organism that orginates from the same type of natural development which has produced them?

Is the multi-cellular organism of the category fauna which calls itself human some kind of super-natural entity that can entirely seperate itself from and be independent of any other DNA based organism in it's environment just by physicaly having a brain capable of consciously planning and understanding the effects of their actions?

Does that ability make them "unnatural" even though it only exist because of how "nature" is capable of forming such cellular structures which can produce and transmit bio-electric pulses?

I get what you mean, but nature as concept and Earths ecosystem in particular are not some kind of esoteric magic entity with a "perfect" state of self contained existence and from which any living organism (singular or as group) can entirely seperated itself from as long as it's existing within in it.

Any organism which is part of an ecosystem is capable of affecting it, but is also still subjective to be affected by it.
    Humans are no exception regardless of how much they managed to create tools to manipulate their environment.

That might make them capable of manipulating (intentional or accidental) Earth's ecosystem on a massive scale, but they are also still a product of it and subjective to it's effects.

They are on paper no different than the earliest organisms which were responcible for producing Earth's life sustaining atmosphere above water in first place.

Infact there have been multiple mass extinction events in Earth's history as result of new forms of life being created and spreading by natural developments, changing their environment in the process. The only difference humans have to them is that they are capable of realising what they are doing.

As such there should be no barrier between humans as natural entity and other form of natural life on Earth.

Therefor if a character gets the super ability to communicate and manipulate "nature" that should include humans and all the micro-organisms which live on and in them.

And while we are are on the subject of someone being capable of such feats, i wonder what the organisms are telling her which are actively profiting from the negative (by OUR perspective no less) impact that humanity as on Earth's environment?
    Like the algea that spread thanks to fertilzers getting into rivers and oceans, the toxic jellyfish which profit from warmer ocean water or the bacteria and virus that can spread much wider and mutate more rapidly thanks to human world wide travel?

If we try to pin her powers on some kind of sematic or philosophical definition of "nature" and "natural" we are going to have a problem the moment we look at the bigger picture.
    1-This is a fictional universe that doesn't apply the same laws of the real world. 2-The micro-environment on and in are still part of the environment because they are not humans, they are using humans as a house basically. Is a house part of nature? 3-Even if real life applied our micro-environment on our bodies is screwed up all the time in real life by creations made by humans. Soap, medicines, etc. We are still playing god and you can't play god if your part of nature. Playing god automatically sets you outside of nature because now your controlling your environment not being part of it. 4-Go ahead and argue but I provided the literal definition of nature and it agrees with me. But argue with the dictionary, people that have much more experience and expertise then you or I. Also just because certain things are thriving doesn't mean the overall environmental is not harmed. Look at invasive species, snakes in the everglades being a prime example. Released pets have introduced anacondas and other snakes to Florida where they thrive but the over all environment is harmed. I am sure she listens to both the individual beings of nature as well as the Machine itself. 5-Your proving my point that humans are trying to play god and therefore not natural.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1440 View Post
    Nature is what happens naturally, what humans contribute is not natural its artificial. Humans interfere with nature all the time; sewer systems, roadways, electrical systems. Practically all humans do is create artificial things that are not natural. ALSO........... So just looked up nature definition on google This comes from the Oxford Dictionary............ "the phenomena of the physical world collectively, including plants, animals, the landscape, and other features and products of the earth, as opposed to humans or human creations.
    "the breathtaking beauty of nature""

So your calling the people that literally write the dictionary dumb?
    Man made objects, are not man. That's why I called it dumb. Humans are nature. They are a natural product of the ecosystem. You're free to argue about man made constructs, but Man is nature. We didn't pop into the formed universe from the ether.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    Man made objects, are not man. That's why I called it dumb. Humans are nature. They are a natural product of the ecosystem. You're free to argue about man made constructs, but Man is nature. We didn't pop into the formed universe from the ether.
    I see your point but think we are defining things differently. Being part of nature also means interacting with the NATURAL world, but by our use of artificial to change the natural world, that is not us interacting with the natural world but over riding it, thus setting ourself out of nature by no longer interacting with it but trying to control it. And well technically........ we did pop into the universe from the ether if you consider that the big bang is responsible for all matters existence and that is popping into existence from the ether LOL.

Mighty Member

humans interact with the natural world all the time. To act like creating tools somehow divorces us from the natural cycle of the ecosystem is baffling.

Go on, don't eat anything, see how quickly the natural process of eat or be eaten takes affect on you.

Are monkeys that use sticks to grab ants out of ant hills no longer a part of the nature?

How about ants that farm aphids?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    humans interact with the natural world all the time. To act like creating tools somehow divorces us from the natural cycle of the ecosystem is baffling.

Go on, don't eat anything, see how quickly the natural process of eat or be eaten takes affect on you.

Are monkeys that use sticks to grab ants out of ant hills no longer a part of the nature?

How about ants that farm aphids?
    They are still part of nature because that is still interacting with nature. But for the most part the interaction man has is artificial and man-made therefore not interacting with nature.

Astonishing Member

Do we seriously want to argue this much over frigging X-men Green? It’s like arguing over the realisticness of the plot points in Batman Odyssey. Get some reefer and read the book the way the creative team intended

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    Do we seriously want to argue this much over frigging X-men Green? It’s like arguing over the realisticness of the plot points in Batman Odyssey. Get some reefer and read the book the way the creative team intended
    I am in the minority I know. I actually like it LOL.