Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Worst business decisions ever.

What are the worst business decisions you've ever seen?

Blockbuster passing on Netflix has to be up there.

Xerox closing down Xerox PARC which basically invented the personal computer interface. It's were Jobs and Wasniak got their tech.

Sears closing down their mail catalog to concentrate on in store purchases in the 90s.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 08-08-2022 at 03:09 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Excite.com were offered to buy Google in 1999 for $750k - they turned it down

Astonishing Member

Sun Microsystems' not purchasing Apple Computer company in 1996. (They had already passed on a merger negotiation, in 1990.)

Anybody doing business with Trump.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Fantastic Member

I bought 100 shares of Amazon in 2006 at $32/share. I sold it a couple years later at $100/share. I tripled my money, but...

Magic Johnson made a Rookie shoe deal with Converse for $100,000, the biggest Rookie deal yet. But a Start Up shoe company offered him 15,000 shares of their stock. That company, Nike, his shares today would be worth $6 billion.

I read that Shane McMahon tried and failed to get his dad to buy the UFC back in 2001.

In keeping w. the OP i guess I should reword that to, in 2001 Vince McMahon ignored his son’s advice to buy the UFC.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 08-08-2022 at 08:00 PM.

Tom Monaghan who cofounded Dominoes pizza with his brother James sold his half of the business to his brother for a Volkswagen Beetle.

James wanted to keep doing delivery and wanted to remove items from the meus and open more stores.

Tom was not happy at the direction of the store and his brothers ideas. So he gave up his half of the business for the Volkswagon that was being used for Deliveries as it was a car the two owned together.
    Last edited by babyblob; 08-08-2022 at 08:07 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Square Enix's recent blunder of selling off so many profitable franchises so they could dive into NFT nonsense was incredibly stupid.

The New Coke fiasco.

Boisterously Confused

IBM: "Sure, Bill Gates, you can resell the operating system and programs that Microsoft has built for our computers to anybody else you want, without even giving us any kind of piece of that action."

Louis B. Mayer (founder and chief of MGM) to Esther Williams in the early 1950s: "Television is a little black box that's never going to amount to anything."

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Domino's Pizza trying to make it in Italy. They just closed the final branch.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Yah. That's comically bad.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Haha, gotta love the optimism though.