Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default The BatMask Ears: Tall or Stubby?

It's time to settle an important debate about The Dark Knight
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 08-09-2022 at 07:54 AM.

Maybe you should have included a poll to get easier results . . .

Growing up, I was drawn to the tall point ears of the DCAU JL Batman design, which also seemed to be in in the comics around that time or perhaps just the floppies I could find.

Now, I tend to prefer shorted ears in most instances. But as a rule of thumb, the leaner the Batman, the longer the ears.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Maybe you should have included a poll to get easier results . . .
    SNAFU'd the poll when creating the post. My phone's browser wouldn't let me back up to fix it. If you'll start another and I'll ask the mods to kill this one.

Incredible Member

Split the difference. The ideal length is a good medium height, like this.

I prefer long, lean, ears.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Tol
    Better silhouette to scare criminals

BANNED

Long ears. They give a gothic essence and the dark to the Dark Knght.

IMG_20171109_223253.jpg

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I have completely changed as I grew.

When I was younger I was full-on Kelly Jones' meter long with bend for added edge. Same with the cape, trailing like 20 foot behind like a goth smoke trail, and moving as though independent of thought and physics.

While I do appreciate the very stubby ones in noire stories its never been a favourite.

Now I've settled into a nice middle-ground of the 4-6". Enough to show they're clearly a feature but not enough that he looks to be compensating. I also prefer a sensibly sized cape.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Extraordinary Member

Like most aesthetic elements in comics, it depends on the artist.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Like most aesthetic elements in comics, it depends on the artist.
    Couldn't agree more. Ever since DKR, I haven't quite been able to go back (LOL):

Last edited by K7P5V; 08-11-2022 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Retired

Given I started reading Batman in the 1960s, I liked the short ears. But when Neal Adams went back to the earlier long ears in the 1970s, that became very popular with fandom. I thought the Batman could never go back to the short ears after that. The short ears were associated with a domesticated Batman that the fans had now rejected--giving him short ears again would be like neutering the Dark Knight.

It's like when Martian Manhunter's appearance was softened in the 1960s to make him less alien. But in the 1970s, his original look was restored.

So I never understood why Frank Miller chose to give Batman the short ears again. Nor did I understand why the fans let him get away with it. The long ears seemed like the preferred option. It still stumps me why short-eared Batman has become a thing.

I'm not against them, because they remind me of the Batman I liked as a kid. I just don't understand the change in fandom.

Of course, there are limits. Kelley Jones gave his Batman the wildly extended ears. He could get away with that, but I don't think it's something that suits other artists' styles. Generally, the ears should be longer but not so long they become a hazard.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Middle of the road. He still has to look like a bat but you don't want to give the criminals something to grab onto during a fight or an easy target on your head.
    Assassinate Putin!

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

There was a time (when DC had tighter continuity) when short, stubby ears on the cowl meant Batman in the early years of his career...from the beginning up through the first few years of Dick Grayson as Robin. Longer ears signified the time after Dick had left for college, become Nightwing, Jason Todd becoming Robin, etc.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Small or a more medium length. I don't like how ridiculously tall they were at some points in the 90s
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman