Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Default When DC loses Wonder Woman's rights.

What will happen to all the things created post Marston? Can they still use characters like Wonder Girl, when they are clearly extensions of WW having the lasso, tiara, bracelets and all. Or would they be sued for plagiarism if they try to use them?

"When" ?

If DC and WB fought tooth and claw with the Siegal and Schuster estates over Superman for decades, they're not gonna let their hold on Wonder Woman lapse.

- - -

But to play the thought experiment game; Stuff like Donna, Cassie, Artemis and the Bana tribe, Nubia, other post-Marston (non public domain) villains/characters would probably either not be used or have all their connections to WW either never mentioned again or retconn'd out.

Think the more interesting thing would be how it would mess up stuff like reprints or trade collections of stuff like Justice League or issues/stories where she guest appeared.
    Last edited by Gaius; 08-09-2022 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    "When" ?

If DC and WB fought tooth and claw with the Siegal and Schuster estates over Superman for decades, they're not gonna let their hold on Wonder Woman lapse.

- - -

But to play the thought experiment game; Stuff like Donna, Cassie, Artemis and the Bana tribe, Nubia, other post-Marston (non public domain) villains/characters would probably either not be used or have all their connections to WW either never mentioned again or retconn'd out.

Think the more interesting thing would be how it would mess up stuff like reprints or trade collections of stuff like Justice League or issues/stories where she guest appeared.
    They have always sucked when it comes to WW. So you can bet them losing the rights is a possibility.

But Cassie, Donna etc couldn't use the bracelets, tiara, lasso etc right? Because that would be identical to WW even if their origin is retconn to have no connections with Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    "When" ?
    Technically, you can't hold a monopoly on an IP forever. Disney apparently lost its monopoly on Winnie the Pooh this year and, barring some drastic change in the law, will lose its monopoly on Mickey Mouse in 2024. DC will lose its monopoly on Superman in 2033, Batman in 2034, and WW in 2036.

I think DC should still have the copyright for the other Wonders in 2037.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Lol... they aint losing the rights.

Even if she goes into public domain only the original version will be open but everything DC created past #1 cant be touched.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Technically, you can't hold a monopoly on an IP forever. Disney apparently lost its monopoly on Winnie the Pooh this year and, barring some drastic change in the law, will lose its monopoly on Mickey Mouse in 2024. DC will lose its monopoly on Superman in 2033, Batman in 2034, and WW in 2036.

They only lost a version but their version is still very much theirs. Even Mickey Mouse its steam boat Mickey.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post

Even if she goes into public domain only the original version will be open but everything DC created past #1 cant be touched.
    This is a really good point.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

They will.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    They will.
    You HOPE they do. But that's different from what will actually happen.

You HOPE they do. But that's different from what will actually happen.
    You don't know that.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    You don't know that.
    I do. The world may end but some things will never change and its DC producing trinity products

Mighty Member

I do. The world may end but some things will never change and its DC producing trinity products
    This is true...

Now when it comes to this hypothetical, what happens with "legacy" villains like Barbara Minerva?

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post

True enough but conversation seems more based on if DC ever lapses their agreement with the Marston family.

I know copyright/trademark law can be pretty Byzantine but from what I'm aware it'd be the issues that would fall into public domain, not the characters themselves. So a company could a collection of GA Wonder Woman without DC's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    This is true...

Now when it comes to this hypothetical, what happens with "legacy" villains like Barbara Minerva?
    Barbara would still be DC.

There is no way for you to know that. Many things can happen.

Barbara Minerva will become Catwoman's villain, since someone at DC clearly wants that to happen