Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Kelly Thompson's X-Men WAR Results on Substack

I think this forum could use some SILLY FUN...
    and I *know*... I SURE COULD!!

https://1979semifinalist.substack.co...ar-the-results
    Those of you that are especially devoted — or just bored on the weekend — or perhaps both! — may have seen yesterday’s unusual hybrid Substack/Twitter post all about my X-Men nostalgia for Jim Lee’s awesome early 1990’s X-Men card deck and how my brother Scott and I mixed those beloved cards with the classic card game WAR for maximum fun (and bonding) as kids.

Selection of cards from the early 90’s Jim Lee X-Men Trading Card Set

They are truly some of my favorite child/teen memories and something my brother and I will always share and that made us close and probably even today helps keeps us close. Those shared experiences are everything, aren’t they?

Anyway, you can read the full original post here if you like: https://1979semifinalist.substack.co...utm_medium=web

And here’s a link to the Twitter voting thread that went with it: https://1979semifinalist.substack.co...utm_medium=web...

Here we go - results of yesterdays Twitter match ups along with some bits of commentary from yours truly:
    Of NOTE, not only was the following the only one that was THISCLOSE, but it also... got the MOST VOTES!! 💚❤️ [By a *significant enough* margin.]

This was one of the most interesting and surprising pairings for me — and I’m glad to see it so close (we almost got a WAR! .1% away!) — I feel like these two characters are chronically underrated and underappreciated, so seeing them up against one another was fun.
    Then there's BOBBY, who ended up decidedly manhandling Lucas, pretty definitively. But she legitimately questions that, for some sound reasons.

This is a good match up and I thought it would be closer. Honestly? This one is a dice toss for me. I think Iceman’s powers are more vast (or can be if he uses them well) but I think Bishop is definitely the better fighter and even though he’s a bit softer/cuddlier these days than in the 90s, I also think he’s also probably more ruthless than Bobby (that happens when you’re from the future), and that kind of thing means a lot in a battle like this I think.
    Last edited by PolarIceFire; 08-09-2022 at 01:15 PM.

BANNED

Speaking of sound, here's a *BRIGHT, sonic VIBE...bration*... that I know at least 1 poster should be THRILLed, and she was genuinely SHOCKed, about:

No slight against Dazzler, who I think is often underestimated power-wise, but this is a shock to me. I didn’t even think it’d be close. For me it comes down more to their personalities than their powers. Alison drifts in and out of being a hero, she mostly wants a different life (and who could blame her?!). Meanwhile Cable is a battle tested time traveling soldier his whole (long ass) life. He is IN THIS TO THE END. I think that matters in a fight like this, even if Ali’s powers are more impressive pound for pound.
    Sadly, can't say the same for my boy AleX, who got CRUSHED BY... his NIECE! She does see it as a li'l suspect, though, and *at least... others did worse*...

Hrm. Again. Though I agree with the result, I disagree with the spread.
    And not surprisingly, the 2nd BIGgest VOTE-GETTER, was the *indomitable 1* herself... ORORO! ⚡🌩️⚡

I think this is also a case of people not knowing what Cerise is capable of — she has impressive energy powers (shields and such) and she’s also an incredible fighter. But yeah, against Ororo? Who has an insane amount of pure power, AND is a great fighter, AND a brilliant leader and tactician? Yeah, Cerise is going down hard and fast. Sorry girl, I’ll always love you!
    And here's the rest:

Psylocke (Kwannon) 68.5%
    Gambit 31.5%
    1,087 votes

Deadpool 19.1%
    Emma Frost 89.9%

Magneto 93.1%
    Lilandra 6.9%

Strong Guy 7.2%
    Kitty Pryde/Shadowcat 92.8%

Cannonball 58.8%
    Banshee 41.2%

Siryn 86.5%
    Kylun 13.5%

Multiple Man 36.1%
    Domino 63.9%

Mystique 42%
    Nightcrawler 58%

Meggan 30.9%
    Sunspot 69.1%

Captain Britain (Brian) 39.6%
    Colossus 60.4%

Beast 12.4%
    Wolverine (Logan) 87.6%

Magik 94.5%
    Wolfsbane 5.5%

Jubilee 14.6%
    Rogue 85.4%

Warpath 46.9%
    Shatterstar 53.1%

Boom Boom 82%
    Feral 18%

Quicksilver 60.8%
    Longshot 39.2%

Archangel 65.3%
    Forge 34.7%

Jean Grey 82.7%
    Professor X/Xavier 17.3%

DISCUSS!
    Last edited by PolarIceFire; 08-09-2022 at 01:22 PM.

Love that Storm dominated her match, even if Cerise is awesome; most people haven't read that Alan Davis era of Excalibur.... at least not the kids on Twitter or whatever.

I love Sunspot more than Meggan, but outside of his highest feats from his Avengers days, I don't see him winning the majority against her. Then again, when does she actually operate at her true potential?
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Extraordinary Member

They seriously put Wolfsbane against Magik in a contest of who would win in a fight after this?

vs rahne.jpg

vs rahne 2.jpg

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Wolfsbane and Feral ate crow.

Shatterstar and Warpath is a tough one.

People thinking Piotr could beat Brian Braddock are nuts. Piotr constantly loses to other tanks.
    Last edited by Triniking1234; 08-09-2022 at 01:35 PM.
    "Cable was right!"

Emma crushed Deadpool.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Love that Storm dominated her match, even if Cerise is awesome; most people haven't read that Alan Davis era of Excalibur.... at least not the kids on Twitter or whatever.

I love Sunspot more than Meggan, but outside of his highest feats from his Avengers days, I don't see him winning the majority against her. Then again, when does she actually operate at her true potential?
    SAME, and yeah, I was glad she made the point that many probably don't know what Cerise can do. BUT... going up against Ororo was gonna be a guaranteed loss for her anyway, I think, even if they did. It's STORM, so... NO CONTEST!!

Meggan's tricky, 'cause she does have an array of abilities, but Sunspot's no pushover. And she seems more like the type to... hesitate, maybe, giving him the edge. That's easily the tougher battle between the two, though, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    They seriously put Wolfsbane against Magik in a contest of who would win in a fight after this?

vs rahne.jpg

vs rahne 2.jpg
    YES, this is another case where one opponent is so seriously outgunned, they're basically D.O.A. 'Yana wouldn't even have to break a sweat, against poor, li'l Rahne.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Wolfsbane and Feral ate crow.

Shatterstar and Warpath is a tough one.

People thinking Piotr could beat Brian Braddock are nuts. Piotr constantly loses to other tanks.
    Ha! ABSOLUTLEY, those lupines are definitely pickin' some feathers outta their fangs, lol.

'Star vs. James Proudstar was one of the best, most evenly matched, and something I'd actually like to see if it were handled right. That'd be a damn, good fight!

IDK, does Brian have that brutal, killer instinct, though? Pete doesn't, that's for sure, but still... he is almost literally, a TANK! I'd have to refresh myself on some of these players, like Cerise and even Megg & CB.

Sure wish Sunfire, Moonstar, Rictor, and some others would've gotten in on the action, but maybe there'll be a neXt time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Emma crushed Deadpool.
    She did! But I think Wade... might have some issues with going up against her, and may pull his punches, where she would have no qualms about kickin' his [wise]-ass right from the get-go.

As someone who ships Cable and Dazzler, I hope after their epic battle he helped her up and they embraced in a sweaty passionate kiss. Ha.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Saw this and managed to vote in a few! Super fun!

For me any superhero fight is an "any given Sunday" type situation where under specific circumstances anyone can beat anyone, but statistically speaking one probably usually always has an overall edge.

But man, my poor guy Remy! I missed his turn and wasn't able to give him the boost he deserved.

I haven't played actual War in like literal decades. Didn't think of using X-Men cards before!

Oh look, Marvel’s next X-Event in 2023: XvX written by Thompson

All men on Krakoa have turned into menspreading dystopian conquerors with a lot of toxic masculinity.

Emma assembles all mutant woman as well as Spider-Woman, Captain Carol, Hazemat, War Machine, and female versions of male avengers to defeat the X-Men men.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    As someone who ships Cable and Dazzler, I hope after their epic battle he helped her up and they embraced in a sweaty passionate kiss. Ha.
    I was thinkin' somethin' more along the lines of a crazed, adrenaline-fueled, make-up seX session...

filled with WILD ABADON, 'Mr. & Mrs. Smith' style!! Though that didn't end well, now, did it?

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Saw this and managed to vote in a few! Super fun!

For me any superhero fight is an "any given Sunday" type situation where under specific circumstances anyone can beat anyone, but statistically speaking one probably usually always has an overall edge.

But man, my poor guy Remy! I missed his turn and wasn't able to give him the boost he deserved.

I haven't played actual War in like literal decades. Didn't think of using X-Men cards before!
    Lucky you, I caught it too late. But I won't neXt time, 'cause I'ma gonna follow that Kelly Thompson, I really like her.

True enough, never say never, and never say die. And often enough, OP can = overconfident, w/opponents being underestimated.

Yeah, I think Gambit got dunked on some, but let's see what Kelly had to say about it:
    I think we probably have the correct winner, but I would have liked to see this one closer. LOTTA folks out there seriously underestimating Remy.
    And there ya have it, sums it up nice & succinctly.

Same here, can't even remember the last time when. And me neither, it never even... *dawned* on me.

And the crowd groans, as they should, lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    Oh look, Marvel’s next X-Event in 2023: XvX written by Thompson

All men on Krakoa have turned into menspreading dystopian conquerors with a lot of toxic masculinity.

Emma assembles all mutant woman as well as Spider-Woman, Captain Carol, Hazemat, War Machine, and female versions of male avengers to defeat the X-Men men.
    Don't be like that, take a chill pill. Mags beat the bird lady, Roberto the elemental empath/MEGAmorph, & Kurt his mom...in-name-only.

Oh, and see above, for how Ali & Nathan worked things over...I mean, out, after she...took a lickin' from him, if ya know what I mean.

Magneto trouncing Lilandra made me laugh. I love these cards so much. Thanks for posting!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

The Meggan and Sunspot match should be much closer. Roberto would squeak out a win just because Ewing built up his strategy skills, but generally Meggan is much more powerful.

Brian Braddock could definitely take Colossus (phrasing), especially if they are in the UK.

In a Gambit vs Kwannon fight it would be a very close match but I think Gambit would often take the win, he's resistant to TP and was raised around assassins.