Default DCeased: War of the undead gods #1 spoilers/discussion

It’s time that things came to an end. It’s time we pull the curtain on this elseworld saga. And it’s time, to fight a freaking Zombie Darkseid!

I love this series, I’ve read all of it even the digital series. I’m here to see where this all goes, because we are at a point we’ve never quite seen in a zombie story: What happens when we got a cure?

Because big Dead Planet spoilers, at the end of the last series our heroes created a vaccine for the anti-life virus and through the power of Superman and Flash (Jon and Wallace), cured the entire planet. Now comes the fall out, because earth is safe but the universe is not. Because if you remember freaking Darkseid showed back up, all anti-lifed and now he’s spread it to the new gods who are spreading it to the freaking galaxy, as seen Supergirls horror opening.

Not to mention some people got to deal with the after the fact realization that some dead people could have been saved. I mean the scene with Alfred where he realizes he’s killed Bruce, Dick, and Tim is just really sad. Because Damian tried to reassure him he couldn’t have known in the moment but it still hurts Alfred. But there are also nice moments as we see those thought lost return.

But yeah basically it all ends on set up that doesn’t quite leave a dramatic impact like Dead Planet’s first issue but gets the ball rolling with the realization of the threat that is to come with the galaxy full of undead new gods.

Honestly this is the fourth series, if you aren’t in by now you won’t be. But if you are in for the ride grab some popcorn and let things begin.
    Last edited by sifighter; 08-09-2022 at 05:36 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Thought it was a great first issue!

The opening scene was pretty brutal and set the tone nicely. Poor Kara. This lets you know that even someone with the strength of a Kryptonian is no match for this threat. I always like seeing the New Gods portrayed as alpha level characters.

Speaking of alpha level characters, a super charged Superman can barely be contained by the strongest heroes in the DCU and he only has one arm! That was pretty great.

I hope Scott and Barda were able to escape. That is kind of his thing after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Thought it was a great first issue!

The opening scene was pretty brutal and set the tone nicely. Poor Kara. This lets you know that even someone with the strength of a Kryptonian is no match for this threat. I always like seeing the New Gods portrayed as alpha level characters.

Speaking of alpha level characters, a super charged Superman can barely be contained by the strongest heroes in the DCU and he only has one arm! That was pretty great.

I hope Scott and Barda were able to escape. That is kind of his thing after all.
    The problem isn’t Scott and Barda…it’s their son Scott left on New Genesis
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    The problem isn’t Scott and Barda…it’s their son Scott left on New Genesis
    I’m really worried about little Jacob.

I wonder if any of the New Gods survived or are hiding out somewhere. It would be crazy if Granny was the one protecting Jacob. I didn’t see her in the opening pages. She did raise his parents after all. And by raise I mean brutally torture and brainwash.
    Last edited by Robotman; 08-09-2022 at 07:54 PM.

I thought this was 2 months away, so happy!

These Elsewhere's (Marvel has What If, DC has Elsewhere...Why DC refuses to Accept this is why they there might not be a Big 2 soon) are the only reason to buy DC right now.

Talk about a Gut Punch right off the bat....I mean...poor Kara! After that, i had to jump on here bc....DAMN

Though...considering how Tom has liked to start some issues off with these "Short Stories" of Heroes biting it in this (member what he did to Roy? oof)

Lastly...I find it HILARIOUS that Darkseid was freed by Metron, and that nobody was around in that Aftermath. I mean, in the MIDDLE of Issue 4 of (what we now know is) Chapter 2, Taylor set up the final Chapter. lol
    Last edited by gambit2051; 08-09-2022 at 08:59 PM.
    If you are going to refute, you need to do your own research.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Great start.

Felt real bad for Alfred.

After the crap that is DC VS Vampires, this was a much needed breath of fresh air.

I liked that they did not forget that Superman was in the sun for 5 years and therefore more powerful than before.

They thankfully did not forget about Jonathan Kent, or the Amazons...though i kind of wished they had shown Hippolyta's reaction to the news of Diana's death like they showed Alfred's reaction to the news that there was a cure..that was heartbreaking to watch that man shed tears for his fallen sons.

Glad to see John and Guy appear, though i can't remember, is Kyle alive or not?

And Brainiac getting shown as beat up felt like Karma...though i got say, Kara's parent's lines really set up a 180 for her when they say they will send her to a planet of gods and not primitives.

Astonishing Member

It's elseworld, and they dropped that old label years ago.

Kara's and Alfred's scenes were brutal
    I find interesting that Taylor took the -Brainiac invasion- from Injustice 2 as Kara's origin in this one also (minus the New Gods part)

Kind of off-topic here, but can we take a moment to appreciate seeing freakin' Batman smiling, full of genuine hope and optimism? For living in THE Apocalypse, Damian sure turned for the better, huh?

Incredible Member

What is the timeline here with Kara?

The infection supposedly started following Darkseid's defeat by the Justice League (and an adult Superman).
    Kara was sent away from an exploding Krypton (at same time as baby Superman), and landed at an already zombified New Genesis.

So was she traveling in hibernation the whole time?

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    What is the timeline here with Kara?

The infection supposedly started following Darkseid's defeat by the Justice League (and an adult Superman).
    Kara was sent away from an exploding Krypton (at same time as baby Superman), and landed at an already zombified New Genesis.

So was she traveling in hibernation the whole time?

Yup! 10char

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    It's elseworld, and they dropped that old label years ago.
    And therein lies one of their biggest eff ups.