Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Laura (Wolvie) would be awesome.

I like the interplay of serious and comic between Logan and Pete, now throw in some sexual tension and you got a winner.
    Would be interesting. Peter would probably be one of the only guys Logan would trust not to break Laura's heart. That said, I usually prefer that pairing in the continuities where they're closer in age.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I like the idea of Pete being an ally guest teacher. He's a geek so he will know a lot about mutant art and literature and he's Science Boi so he can pull double duty and conduct Defense Against A.I. classes too.

Also let's beef up Mary Jane's role in the X-Books as Krakoan medicine celeb ambassador. There's a Candy Southern shaped hole in the X-franchise as well which I think MJ could fill pretty well.

BANNED

OH YEAH!! I've had it in mind 4 A WHILE, now...

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post
    as my Twitter header from OVER A YEAR AGO...
    SHOWS!!!

Characters like Bobby, obviously, and DAZZler [ring a bell, anyone?]... already have an association with Peter & the Spider world. And I would LOVE for the likes of Lorna & Shiro [+AleX, Dani, Julio, Ev, etc.] to have the same or even better yet, MORE...

than just a seeming, passing acquaintance.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I like the idea of Pete being an ally guest teacher. He's a geek so he will know a lot about mutant art and literature and he's Science Boi so he can pull double duty and conduct Defense Against A.I. classes too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Also let's beef up Mary Jane's role in the X-Books as Krakoan medicine celeb ambassador. There's a Candy Southern shaped hole in the X-franchise as well which I think MJ could fill pretty well.
    I like those ideas. Would be even better, as a Peter/MJ diehard, if some of the more romantically minded X-characters started secretly conspiring to get them (back) together. Could make for a delightful comedy of superpowered errors.

Also, Jackaraow (hope I'm spelling the handle right) brought up Cable intending to recruit Miles Morales/Spider-Man for some kind of secret ops organization replacing the recently fallen S.H.I.E.L.D., and given how he once described Spider-Man/Peter Parker to himself during Avengers: X-Sanction as eventually being recognized as the greatest hero of this era, would be interesting to see him challenge Peter to finally start taking steps to make good on that potential.

BANNED

First, before anything else ['cause my mind is ON FIRE rn], I need to clarify that not "mainstay" necessarily but stronger affiliated and/or more deeply connected. I want better bonds between the MU pillars, that being the X, Spider, A, & F4 worlds. Throw in DD & the MKnights, all the space crews, and the 3MS's [magical/mystical/mythological+supernatural], too. Then ya got the Atlanteans, Inhumans, and even *sigh*... SHIELD, I suppose. But they can't be trusted & need to be kept at arm's length.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post
    First, before anything else ['cause my mind is ON FIRE rn], I need to clarify that not "mainstay" necessarily but stronger affiliated and/or more deeply connected. I want better bonds between the MU pillars, that being the X, Spider, A, & F4 worlds. Throw in DD & the MKnights, all the space crews, and the 3MS's [magical/mystical/mythological+supernatural], too. Then ya got the Atlanteans, Inhumans, and even *sigh*... SHIELD, I suppose. But they can't be trusted & need to be kept at arm's length.
    S.H.I.E.L.D. has been dead since Secret Empire, which was probably one of the better things to come out of that event in retrospect. Being taken over by HYDRA yet again and then used to spearhead a fascist takeover of the United States was the last straw, it would seem.

Iceman and Firestar should be regular supporting characters and team-up allies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    S.H.I.E.L.D. has been dead since Secret Empire, which was probably one of the better things to come out of that event in retrospect. Being taken over by HYDRA yet again and then used to spearhead a fascist takeover of the United States was the last straw, it would seem.
    Oh, welp, there ya go. Shows ya how much I pay attention to them. No great loss, AFAIC, so good riddance.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Plus, Miles already knows Dust, because she joined the Champions.
    Miles also met most of the O5 and Laura (Wolverine) when they ended up in the Ultimate Universe together. He also went to school with Egg for a while.

Some non-omega, non-Logan X-Characters showing up in Spider-Man would be a cool thing from time to time.

Non-Omega, because it should be a team up. Any story where you need a major contrivance to not have the guest star solve the problem while Spidey is telling them about it is bound to be difficult to make interesting and believable at the same time. The title character needs to be an integral and important part of the action.

Non-Logan, because he can already carry a solo title. It's better to try and increase the stable of characters who can become a draw on a team book, or maybe eventually carry a limited series, or..be st-case scenario here...an actual solo title than it is to just put another character who is already at the top of popularity in the medium into the story.

Logan and Spidey together is better used for a short series of their own then as guest stars in either regular title. Neither one needs to hitch to a more popular character to raise their profile, but the combined popularity can probably add another title to subscribers pull bags for a few months.
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 08-14-2022 at 09:26 AM. Reason: B E S T is a censored word now?
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Some non-omega, non-Logan X-Characters showing up in Spider-Man would be a cool thing from time to time.

Non-Omega, because it should be a team up. Any story where you need a major contrivance to not have the guest star solve the problem while Spidey is telling them about it is bound to be difficult to make interesting and believable at the same time. The title character needs to be an integral and important part of the action.

Non-Logan, because he can already carry a solo title. It's better to try and increase the stable of characters who can become a draw on a team book, or maybe eventually carry a limited series, or..be st-case scenario here...an actual solo title than it is to just put another character who is already at the top of popularity in the medium into the story.

Logan and Spidey together is better used for a short series of their own then as guest stars in either regular title. Neither one needs to hitch to a more popular character to raise their profile, but the combined popularity can probably add another title to subscribers pull bags for a few months.
    Funny enough, Marvel did have a six-issue limited series called Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine more than a decade ago by Jason Aaron and Adam Kubert. Maybe making that an ongoing series in the vein of Spider-Man/Deadpool could work, and even better if it spins out of the upcoming team-up between Spidey and Logan to rescue Mary Jane from Moira XI.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    They wouldn't stay platonic for long. There are two alternate universes where Pete and Emma hooked up.
    Eh? Really? I'm only aware of Marvel Adventures where she has a crush on him, but it definitely wasn't mutual, and if it was I don't see Spidey accepting her after the crap she pulled lol.

Cyclops and Shaw might make it seem like she has a preference for Alpha males, but Pete's heroic soul is catnip for bad girls. Plus, he'd let her push him around.
    Not really, Spidey only lets people push him around if it doesn't bother him too much, otherwise he makes his annoyance clear, specially if it's someone he's gonna hang out with once in a while lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Can synch teach Spiderman something about his powers, that even he doesn't know? hint: peter's spider senses expand here and now!
    Why would Synch of all people be the one to teach Spidey about this kind of stuff? He's still being taught how to use whatever powers he actually can copy lol.

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    When did Spider-Man and Emma hook up? I only recall her random identity from Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane//Adventures.
    Emma didn't show up in Spidey loves MJ, the only mutant in that comic was Angelica.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

A potential angle to explore in terms of connecting Spider-Man more to mutants as a supporting cast who don't detract from him being the center of HIS stories.....is Peter inquiring about the status of various mutants, now that mutant resurrection is common knowledge.

Throughout the seventies, eighties and nineties, Spider-Man comics were actually the single most likely place to see mutants outside of the X-books.....with the distinction that these were usually mutants created just to be one-off appearances in his books. Like, being a mutant WAS an easy way to explain a character having powers if you didn't want to spend a ton of your available pagetime crafting a backstory for how this random side-character in an issue came to have powers (that are usually tied into the issue's plot, or necessary for it to work). And so there are a lot of random, obscure mutant characters who never appeared anywhere outside of one or two Spider-Man adventures....some were minor criminals, some were runaways or kids being exploited for their powers, some were victimized by their own powers and with Peter trying to save them from themselves even.....

With the other common thread most of these minor mutant characters shared.....being that most of their appearances ended in tragedy. There's TONS of obscure mutant characters who basically only existed to contribute to the pathos and angst that's defined Peter at many points throughout his existence. In some cases, it was because the mutant guest star died tragically and Peter blamed himself for being unable to save them.....in a couple notable instances, they were destroyed by their own powers or lack of knowledge about how to safely use their powers, with Peter wishing he'd been able to help them in time or get them the help they needed to avoid that fate.....and many of the minor mutant criminals or henchmen he fought were detailed by the narrative as being impressionable mutants who were manipulated or coerced into crimes from a young age, with Peter reflecting on the tragedy of that and wondering at times if that could've been him if he'd encountered the wrong villain before he started as Spider-Man or when he was in a particularly vulnerable period or mindset.

Point is, Spider-Man writers LOVE pouring on the angst with Peter. One of the most popular moods for writers to inflict on him, at many points in the comics, has been 'how can I maximize Peter's tendency to beat himself up for things he thinks are all his fault or he should've done better....I know! tragic mutant guest star Peter fails to save or steer away from jail or a life of crime or that refuses to trust Peter and let him help them.....leaving him angsting about the unfairness or futility of it all in the aftermath, as he perches on a rooftop in the middle of a thematic downpour because he deserves to feel like a drowned rat, sitting inside all warm and dry is for closers, not superheroes that couldn't stop random NPC gang leader from shooting the mutant guest star who ran away from home only to wind up having their powers exploited by some random crime lord wannabe looking for his meal ticket.'

Plus, there's this really weird mini-trend of major Spider-Man villains having derivative characters created to take up their mantle/identity when they're temporarily dead or unavailable to writers....and with these stand-ins often being mutants for some reason. It happened with one of Kraven's kids, there was a mutant named Francis Klum who used the Mysterio identity briefly, there was a mutant stand-in for Chameleon once.

Anyway - point is, lots of minor mutants have been used in Spider-Man stories in past decades, and almost always for one specific purpose - to have their story end tragically and make Peter feel like ****.

And yeah, most of them are dead, lol. The big names like Shriek, the stand-ins like Kraven Jr. and NotMYMysterio, the really obscure ones like Mindworm.....they all bought the big one, winding up gristle for Peter's 'Dear Diary, Fucked Up Again' monologues.

So! Think how uplifting it could be for Peter - who uh, is not having a lot of super great days, currently - to upon finding out about mutant resurrection.....ask his friends like Bobby and Angelica to ask around about various dead mutants he's probably got listed in a journal somewhere under the heading "People That Would Be Alive If I Were A Better Superhero w̶h̶y̶ d̶o̶e̶s̶ e̶v̶e̶r̶y̶o̶n̶e̶ k̶e̶e̶p̶ a̶s̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ i̶f̶ I̶'v̶e̶ t̶r̶i̶e̶d̶ a̶n̶t̶i̶d̶e̶p̶r̶e̶s̶s̶a̶n̶t̶s̶." Give him the opportunity to get some closure with one or two mutants whose encounters left him with a buttload of unmerited guilt, as they impress on him that it wasn't his fault, they never blamed him, and they appreciated everything he did or tried to do and never hated him or thought he should've done more. Let him shed the load some of these mutants' deaths left on his shoulders as he's reassured that they got a second chance at things after all, and they're actually doing pretty great now.

Peter's the perfect opportunity to showcase a non-mutant who's just fucking HAPPY about mutant resurrection, not needing it to have anything to do with him or any other humans, because he sees clear evidence of the value it holds for mutantdom in letting them change the fates of random mutants he himself saw get screwed, while being unable to do anything about it himself. Like yeah, sure, it'd be great if everyone who died tragically got a chance to come back, but just because its not universal doesn't mean that he doesn't still see it as a good thing every time its been used to give a second chance to a mutant he totally agrees got dealt a shitty hand and deserved a better end to their story. He can mourn the loss of lives not brought back while seeing ones who ARE brought back as still having value, and the very fact of their returns being something to celebrate or find joy in. Its not an either or, everyone brought back or no one at all. There's room for space in between. Peter's a guy who's good at seeing room for nuances and space between the lines - at least when it comes to other people.

And then too this could also pave the way for some of these minor or lesser known mutant characters to segue into future Spider-Man stories. Maybe some are touched that Peter checked up on them or still cared enough to remember or think of them after all this time, and they ended up staying in contact with him or offered their help if he's ever in a bind. And most of them would fit all the qualifications Gray Lensman laid out, and which I think are well reasoned.....they tend not to be so powerful as to take over Spider-Man stories or render Peter's own contributions useless, they usually aren't well-known or high profile in their own right and so wouldn't detract from his star power in his own titles, but would only benefit from it, much like any other supporting cast.....most of them have REASON to view Peter favorably and be actual supportive presences in his stories where he tends to have more than enough detractors already....and their very existence, or resurrections, could help remind Peter even when he's smack in the middle of one of his Bumming Hard eras, of how radically things can change or turn around, no matter how hopeless or useless or unfair things seem at a given moment.

I mean, even a character like freaking Mindworm would be a total mood-lift for Peter if he were to find out he was brought back.....and Krakoan resources could help William have a much greater control of his powers than he ever did in his original lifetime, and with that control and understanding of them, as well as being able to skim from Krakoa's psychic/life-force reserves the way Selene and Emplate do, he'd not only be much healthier and without the contributing factors that catalyzed most of his violence in the past, he'd likely be a lot more self-assured and resistant to being manipulated or influenced towards villainy as well. Heck, with a healthier, stabilized physiology, training with his powers, and a second shot at life starting from a relatively blank slate.....just give him a new name and I could see him being for Peter what Porcupine was for Jessica Drew in one of her recent solo series, if people get that reference.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 08-15-2022 at 09:36 PM.

Iceman and Firestar are the obvious answers to me. Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends.

The Ultimate Universe has made me want to see what a friendship (and just a friendship) between Kitty Pryde and Spider-Man would be like.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman